Driving in Snow? Cold Weather Comfort? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
MarkofSJC

Default Driving in Snow? Cold Weather Comfort?

Holiday Greetings to all!

Our family's love of snow skiing, and the random picture that came up on this board of someone driving through a snow storm got me wondering. Can Newells be driven comfortably through the snow? Yes, you've got 50,000+ pounds of "ground hugging" weight and ATC in most newer coaches...but is it advisable? If we were taking it up to the mountains for skiing, has anyone ever used chains?

I know, I know, the wheels on these coaches are typically always rolling towards where it's sunny and warm, but we really enjoy all four seasons and there's something about the crisp air and the beauty of any landscape when draped in a coat of fresh snow that I especially enjoy (okay, maybe just for a couple of weeks, then back to our personal paradise in Southern CA). Yes, folks, I'm talking winter camping. In the coach!

I'd love to hear about any experiences using your coach where coats and mittens were required (and swimsuits were unless there was a jacuzzi nearby!).

Until then, I wish you and your familys the very best this holiday season offers!

Cheers!
Mark

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Ron Skeen

I usally leave TN at Christmas headed to the West Coast. Stay in Breckenridge for about 2-3 wks sking. I also have gone to Gaylor MI to Snow mobil and have never had any trouble. The coaches has been in -18 and everthing thing work fine. I did have the air to freeze but would suggest to drain water from all the air tank before you leave and that should take care of that. As long as the road are open you shouldn't have any trouble driving with the snow. I have had a 89 and my 96 Newell both used in the winter. Just leave the heat on and nothing should freeze. Think how the old Greyhound buses were the only thing traveling. Plan your trip and enjoy the beauty of winter.

1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Ron Skeen

Hi Mark,

Email your address and I will send you some pictures of the Newell in the Snow. I don't know how to post on here but I do know how to email pictures

ron@skeenrentals.com
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
chockwald

Drove our Newell through snow in November of 2009 in Idaho, and Washington. Handled great! We only weigh in at around 29,000 lbs, but never had any concern with traction, or sliding. Here are a few pix and a YouTube video link of a short video I made while driving in this same snow:

As "interesting" as it was driving in the snow, and I did learn a lot about my coach during a very frigid 2 weeks in sub freezing weather, I really, really prefer the weather as displayed in my "avatar".....S&T weather (short pants and t-shirt).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0258.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1303   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0254.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1304  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
tuga

I had an interesting experience in the snow. I was at the Newell factory for maintenance, and one of the techs started my coach up to drive it into the service bay. Since it was very cold outside the tech tooted the air horn to signal someone inside to open the door. The air horn got stuck and he could not get it to stop blowing!

Two tech got under the coach with a little blow torch and tried to get the ice melted that was causing the problem. It took about 3 minutes to melt the ice and stop the air horn.

It was really funny; we were inside the service building with an air horn blowing full blast!

Lesson to learn: use the electric horn when it is freezing outside.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
lbrachfe

That had to be very funny Tuga and the topic of discussion for a few days there too.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
MarkofSJC

Wow ~ Ron has got some really great "deep in the snow" pics. It's not an RV, just a ski lodge...with 8 wheels! I honestly thought he had a snow mobile on a carrier over his back bumper...but it was just a touring bike covered with snow at just the right angle!

Chockwald's video has you almost feeling the chill in the air as he drives through snowfall.

Thanks to both of you for sharing...this makes me certain these aren't just "fair weather" coaches, but really "Four Season" which is exactly how we want to use it!
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
afrench45

We've taken the coach to Colorado a few times and never had any problems. I will say that makes for a long day of driving when you are in the mountains. Ive only had a problem once, when we had about 2ft. of snow on the ground in okc. I was ready to get out of town and on the road to Indio so I thought I'd go for it. I only needed to go about 8 miles to the interstate then it was supposidly clear. The coach did slip a little on the snow and ice packed roads, but I just took it slow and easy. Getting on the interstate, the roads were covered and there was a car ditched on the left side. I went around it and to my surprise I was off of the road and in the grass....I was stuck! I tried messing with the diff. lock and adjusting the pressures in the tag, but nothing seemed to work. Only solution was to have a tow-truck come pull me out. That was a fun experience! But these coach's handle well in all weather!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7012.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1306  
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
77newell

Default Scary Experience

We traveled a couple times from Michigan to Florida with our 77 coach with no problems other than the front heater not keeping up with -3 degrees. Then one February we left Charleston SC and ran into an ice storm with lots of slush on the roads and lots of icy spots. Our front brakes started locking up with even the slightest touch of the pedal and upon its release took several seconds to release - not a good situation on icy roads. The trip home was scary, I made the final 250 miles without touching the brake pedal, just used the Jake with lots of planning. As soon as the weather warmed up I took it out for a test and no problems.

We did not have an air drier in the system but it had not given us a problem until this last trip. Well, we now have a drier and I expect no further problems. The drains on the tanks have been completely dry.

Conclusion, make sure you have a drier and that it is up to snuff.

77 coach
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
HoosierDaddy

I have no experience driving my Newell in the snow but my friends who drive Greyhound/tour busses say that the long wheelbase and the tag axle and offers a bit more stability on slippery roads.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
Richard and Rhonda

I got caught in a snowstorm in Texas of all places. I had no problems with about 3 inches of fresh, wet snow on the roads. I pulled over and waited it out to appease the copilot.

If mama ain't happy, then..........

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote