engine starting - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
qcj

Default engine starting

I have a 99 Newell with s60 engine. It takes about 10 to 15 seconds to start after its been setting for several days. It is 80 to 85 degrees outside. After it cranks the next time the warm engine starts right off. Do I have a problem or is this normal? Before I had a Cummins and it started right off. Chappell

qcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

Have you checked the check valve @ the back of the head on the fuel line? This will cause an extended engine crank time.

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
qcj

Thanks for the reply Sean. No, I have not checked anything because I didn't know where to begin. I have not owned the coach but a couple of months and only noticed this the last short trip out after about 4 days at the park. When I started to crank it to come home, I didn't know if it was going to crank. Got home put it in storage about a week ago and this morning cranked it to see if was going to do the same thing and it did. This check valve, I don't know where it is, and when I find it what should I look for? Chappell
Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
NewellCrazy

Hi Chappell,

There are many options at this point with respect to your starting issue, One very common issue on a Detroit the check valve you will find it on the fuel line at the rear of the cly. head. What I am giving you here are other troubleshooting techniques If your mechanically inclined and lets say your Newell will not start. You can remove the fuel hose from the OUTLET on the fuel pump, does it squirt fuel while cranking? Any voltage LESS than 10V while cranking will NOT allow starting! Easiest bet would be check the codes and start from there. It can be something simple or something more complex. Might also be time for new injectors with new bolts and washers and of course 'O' rings.

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
qcj

Sean, I hope I have it fixed. I took the floor out and had the valves and injectors adj., compression test, leak test, replaced all valve seals on injectors and check valve replaced. Cranks in I/2 turn. Chappell
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
rellick

Great news! Hopefully it runs as it should for a long time! Excellent post Sean
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Qcj, I am curious about the configuration of your coach as regards to removing the floor for access to the engine. I would like to service the top of the engine as you did, but it looks like the trap door extends under the bed which suggests the bed has to be removed. Did you happen to take any photos?

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote