? regardin the lenght & height of the pull trough bays - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default ? regardin the lenght & height of the pull trough bays

Hello,
We are in process buying newell 2001 ( 2 slide coach ) & wanted to find out from the owners , what would be the lenght , height and width of the standard pull trought bay ?
We are avid cyclist and have very pricy tandem bike and wanted to mount it w ( with out the wheels ) upward in one of the bays !

Thank you in advance for your help,

Les

leskorcala@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
RussWhite

Les.

Each Newell tends to be a little different from the next. As an example my coach is #530 and a friend has #531. Built right next to one another and mine has basement air and his roof top, so I have basement ductwork and he does not. I would suggest for your safety in planning to get the actual measurments from the coach you will be purchasing.
Happy cycling and traveling..... Russ - 99 2 slide

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Great, Thank you for your sugestion, I did forgot to mention that our Newell will be with Roof AC set up ( not in the basement ) so perhaps should have way more space.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
chockwald

I know that Richard (Richard and Rhonda) keeps their tandem in one of their basement storage areas. Don't remember if it is with, or without wheels still on.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
rheavn

Les,
The more you look at other Newells, the more you will understand that no two are alike. So take these measurements as an example & not concrete that yours will be the same. My largest storage bay is the one right behind the front wheels and runs from side to side. The opening is 44 5/8" wide and 31" high. That is the opening. It is 98" to the door on the other side. If the compartment has Joey Bed(s) then the usable space is decreased. If the bay has a shotgun drawer your usable space is decreased. Some bays come with stuff mounted in the bay like an entertainment center. In my bay I have 4 hoses for the AquaHot heater blower that go across the top of the bay. I think Russ White gave you good advice to call the seller, have him measure it, take a photo for you so you can see if you will have to deal with any restrictions. Have him take the photo with the doors open on both sides.

Hope this helps........................
Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Richard and Rhonda

Les,

I drop the front wheel on the CoMo, turn the stoker bars to the side, and roll it in. I use bungies to secure the frame to the undercarriage of the bay. That will work unless you ride a really large frame.

One of the the ideas on my endless project list is to build a rail system to fork mount the tandem for truly easy access.

I have as many as five roadbikes and wheels in a bay and a half.

I am laughing at your question as only someone in the very same position would do. When we bought our first class A, I told the salesperson there was one thing I had to check before I signed. I came back with the tandem and started to put it in the bay. He said, "Oh, we can get you a carrier to go on the back of the Motorhome for that". Oh no, that won't do, you don't understand at all, I said.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default Thanks yiou!

Richard & Steve ,
Thank you for your help with the lenght of the bays, I did contacted seller and he will be getting some photos and numbers for me, due to his helth isuses I wanted to find out more from teh forum people!

Yes, we are always checking first make sure our bikes fit the cars or Rv before we buy it!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Richard,
Perhaps Yakima " Swingaway " tandem rack could work < I ahve extra one and will ply with it!try to mount to the rallways bay and swing frame over to the ground , it has rear wheel attachement and for as you might know!
another idea was to build quick realase for the reer dropouts ( if the frame is to big ) and front fork mout like the ones you put on the truck bed for your fram;s fork!
Anyway 1 we are only 3 weeks away, can't wait! I can belive we bought our Newell only using internet!!! ha, ha! I am sure we be okay ! we are traiding our 26' Phoenix cruiser and paying the diference ! packing our gear , picking up in Oklahome at the Newell where is serviced and checked and than repack our gear to it and head to the dog event in S Dakota and more for 3 weeks , should be plenty time to check everything right!

Bes,
Les
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Richard and Rhonda

Les,

I found that leaving the rear tire on works for me. If I drop the rear wheel, I will either have to build a custom jig to get the rear derailleur off the floor or invert the bike.

I think that you will find that rolling it in backwards after dropping the front wheel is SO easy that all custom engineering goes lower on the "like to to someday list"

Good luck on your new baby !!!!

R
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default Tndem Bike fitting in to the bay area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
Les,

I found that leaving the rear tire on works for me. If I drop the rear wheel, I will either have to build a custom jig to get the rear derailleur off the floor or invert the bike.

I think that you will find that rolling it in backwards after dropping the front wheel is SO easy that all custom engineering goes lower on the "like to to someday list"

Good luck on your new baby !!!!

R
Hello,
Well after trying few things to fit our tandem inside one of the bays, I can to conclution that it won't fit in J Bad type flooring due tothe size. So I found half size pull trough bay where we have the inverter and on the other end there is Gen Pipe going up! I was able to put on velctro small wood block with fork monut.
As Richard do, I will just rall te tandem on the rear wheel all the way in and just drop the forks to its monut, done! the wheel on teh other side can be fasten with strap! works like champ, set had to came off the bike since the size of the tandem , if we take single bikes , than i can fit each bike on each side of the bay same way!

Best,
Les