Generator control box access - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
Bill & Sonja

Default Generator control box access

I would like to gain easy access in to the control box on top of the generator. I'm wondering if there is a release of the generator slide (other than the air ram) that allows the generator and slide to come forward far enough for easier access into the control box. Anyone had occasion to figure this out.
Bill

Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
tuga

Bill,

I tried to release the gen slide once but to no avail. I needed to replace a fuel line leak. I called Newell and they recommended not to do it. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but that generator is heavy and it could cause you more problems than you have presently. I was able to change the fuel line without sliding the gen out; so everything worked out fine.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

Yes, look under the slide at the very front where the slide rod attaches to the slide. Remove the circlip and push the pin out. That will allow the gennie to slide out further.

Watch what you are doing. Pay attention that you don't pull it out so far that it clears the rollers, or else the gennie will fall. One look and you will understand what you are seeing.

Be careful when pushing it back in from the extended position that you don't trap and pinch cables.

This makes the gennie MUCH easier to work on.

If you had to take it completely out, this is the way you would do it. Of course placing jack stands under the front and back while backing the coach away from the gennie.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Bill & Sonja

Thanks for your reply's men. We tried Richard's suggestion and it worked great. Released the muffler clamp at the generator, unhooked the fuel lines and dropped the pin from the air ram. Then with a floor jack under the bumper and 2 of us pulling while one watched we rolled the trolly forward for plenty of room. Must be very careful not to pull to far as Richard warns. Thanks again for the help.
Bill
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote