New Garmin 465T For Your Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
fulltiming

Default New Garmin 465T For Your Newell

If you Newell doesn't have a built-in navigation system, you might want to be on the lookout for this one.

Garmin has announced the Nuvi 465T designed for truckers. It is supposed to be available 6/10/09. This looks like a good choice for Newells. It allows you to set your length, width, weight and height and displays warning information of upcoming road conditions to alert you to possible hazards along the route such as sharp curves, steep grades and warns of low clearances ahead. You’ll also get lateral wind warnings and notification when the road narrows. It has an integrated FM traffic receiver which allows you to receive free alerts about traffic delays and road construction on your route.

The largest drawback is the 4.3" screen can be a little small in a Newell. I use a Nuvi 880 mounted by the driver's side windshield pillar on the dash and it is OK but a larger screen would be better.

MSRP is $499. 465T

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Wally Arntzen

Michael, it looks like a great peice of equipmet that would be better that the tom tom that I currently use.

I'm going to look into it.

Wally

Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
encantotom

i love the features on it. however, i really like the laptop garmin moblie pc that i run. that way i have a full 15 inch screen and i have it so i can display it on the 32" tv overhead as well.

btw, garmin is not very good at hitting their release dates, so dont be suprised if this one pushes out

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
fulltiming

It would be very nice if Garmin would release a laptop version of the Truck specific version, although I am not holding my breath. Having had to back up a block with a trailer when I found an overpass without adequate clearance has made a believer out of me. In the meantime, I use the Motor Carriers Atlas and verify the roads are on the truck routes before proceeding. If not, I am always mindful that I may have to turn around.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
ABnormal

Default New Garmin

I have the streetpilot 530C and have set the Bus option. It also had a truck mode, but the manual does not detail the differences. I have no idea whether it watches out for height, but in theory it is supposed to keep you off of dead end streets and narrow side streets.

I was in the van this weekend and Garmin got so confused trying to take me in the backroads of Ottumwa, Ia., I would have never made it out of there in the coach. I switched the bus mode for the return trip the following day and it seemed to get confused again. This time, I knew the correct route and just ignored it.
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
encantotom

ok, now i have to tell my gps story. last summer when on our 2 month long trip we went to ruidoso, nm. a small mountain community. from there we were going to cloudcroft to spend a week. cloudcroft is a very small artsy summer home community up at 9000 feet in south eastern new mexico.

it was a couple hour drive or less. or more.... the garmin mobile pc gps took us on a strange route through the back country. i thought, hey, a nice drive and the gps knows a back way to get there....after driving for quite a while the road turned to dirt and gravel and appeared to be turning into a switchback trail on the side of a mountain. before we got very far there was an indian reservation trailer park with a handful of trailers in it. i turned with the rig pulling our car into the trailer park. there were kids playing in the road (not much traffic out there) and was a young mother holding her baby standing on her porch of her mobile home. it was up on block supports quite high and when i pulled up to her in the coach she was eye level with me in the drivers seat. i looked at her and said hi and that i was lost. she just said, yes you are....i told her the gps wanted me to go down the trail and she looked up and down at the newell and just said, "not gonna make it in that". so we were able to get turned around and go all the way back and take the real road. turned into an afternoon drive, though it was fun and we were in no hurry. the gps was taking me shortest route and that it was if i had a 4 wheel drive jeep....

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote