Solar on the coach? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Randy J

Default Solar on the coach?

There was some table talk going on at the poker game last weekend about solar power for RVs. I haven't looked into it yet. But do any one you have solar power on your coach? If so any tips? I've heard the systems for a home are quite expensive. And that it can take years before they pay for themselves. Some just aren't interested in them because it's such a large investment. Is solar for the coach the same? I haven't got a clue what it costs for a motorcoach.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
lbrachfe

I had a solar trickle charger on my last coach and loved it, but it came with the coach and is not a cheap addition aftermarket.

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Neweller

I have had a larger system on two coaches so far and love it. My next coach will have every available, useable inch used for solar. That is why I need a 45'. Actually, I'm working on another idea that may work out even better I'll share about in the future if it pans out. I say drill baby drill, so we can feed these somewhat thirsty monsters, and bring on all the alternative ideas.

Randy, to answer your question, It's much cheaper to add solar to an RV than a home ever thought of being. You could still invest 5 g's into a nice set up. Something small for just keeping batteries charged up is inexpensive. I'm meeting with a local battery manufacturer Monday who knows a bit about it and I'll post my findings.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
folivier

You'll have an easier/cheaper way of doing it with only 2 8D batteries than the newer coaches with 6 8Ds to feed.
I have 4- 60watt panels on mine with a BlueSky 2024 controller and finds that it keeps up the batteries when boondocking ok. We still have to run the generator for an hour to heat water for our showers (though I did change the element on my Raritan 20 gallon to a 2000 watt and that really helped to cut generator run time). That is with watching tv for a few hours, lights, fans, coffee maker, etc. I converted all of my interior lights to LEDs and that helped significantly.
Brad Townsend just upgraded his solar system, Prairieschooner has solar, also Chockwald installed a system recently.
Does anybody know if the state and federal tax incentive programs will apply to our coaches? Here in Louisiana the gub'ment will reimburse you 80% for a house installation.
If you're boondocking for a few days each week then solar is worth it. If you're just stopping overnight your batteries should last with no problem if you're driving a few hours the next day or just run your generator to recharge. You have to figure out the break even point between the cost of solar and the cost of running your generator (which should be run every month for a couple hours with a load to exercise it). I installed my system myself and it was easy, and saved quite a bit of money.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Randy J

Thanks for the help guys. It sounds like quite a few have solar so it sounds like it would be beneficial. I think we'd def. do more boondocking if we had solar set up. I didn't know they had incentives for solar. That's interesting and if coaches are covered. I'd like to know more. Ken, let us know about those batteries.

1991 Newell Coach

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
chockwald

I had two 150 watt panels installed in February of this year by AM Solar, and I am very happy with the workmanship and performance. Installation, including labor, panels and materials was $2800. We are living full time in our coach like you Randy and if you spend a lot of time west of the Mississippi where there is a lot of sun it is easy to dry camp, and boondock with very little generator use. Of course, we have a 1982 Newell which is very low tech, and does not use a lot of power. For me it was a priority for our full time adventure giving us a lot of flexibility.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
Randy J

Hey Clarke. That doesn't sound to bad. I'm not sure how much wattage in panels we'd need? Was two 150 watt panels more than enough or just enough for your coach? How long did it take for them to install? I'm def. interested in solar and I think it would really give us options like you said with full-timing it gives you a lot of flexibility.

1991 Newell Coach

Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
chockwald

Hi Randy.....prior to installation the mobile tech guy from AM Solar came out and did a complete inspection of my coach, and analyzed what systems I used on a regular basis. He figured what the draw was for each system, how often it was used, and then compared that to the amp hours available from my two 8d, flooded cell batteries, and then gave me 3 different recommendations. I went with the 300 watt package as it was a little overkill, but after talking with others who had regrets they had not put up more wattage I thought better to have more than I need and have no regrets. That has worked out well....no regrets. I also got the tilt kit....both panels can be tilted right to left, or left to right to maximize solar exposure in the winter months when the sun is lower on the horizon. This has also been beneficial, and we have used that feature several time when sitting in one place for several days at a time.

Time to install: Since ours is an older coach, and the cable routing was challenging it took a couple of days, plus a few hours on the 3rd day. Typical installation on a newer coach like yours would probably be a day and a half.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2550   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	2551  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
folivier

Clarke, do you find any reduction in output from the a/c units shading your panels?
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
chockwald

Hey Forest.....no.....but when I park in a dry camping, or boon docking situation I try to situate myself so this is not an issue....not always able to find the sweet spot though. Yes, there is a little reduction on occasion. I can usually overcome that, though, by tilting them, which then takes the A/C units out of the picture.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles