Synthetic oil's in the 8V92 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2002, 01:48 AM   #1
Steve Saraga

Default Synthetic oil's in the 8V92

Synthetic oil's in the 8V92

First, I must admit to not being a Newell owner.

Yes, I'm sorry, I own a product built in Fort Valley, Georgia.

My coach is a 1988 with a 475 hp, 8V92 DDECI engine.

I have questions concerning synthetic oil's. I currently use Sheaffer synthetic "blend" 40 wt in my engine. I just was informed it was a blend, and not pure synthetic. I am now about due for an oil change, and was considering Mobil 1 40wt, or the Delvac 1.

I have 129,000 miles total, and approx. 40,000 on the Sheaffer oil.

Anbody have some thoughts for a "different" brand coach owner?

Steve Saraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:02 AM   #2
TechTalk

Synthetic oil's in the 8V92 With one significant exception, Newell recommends that operators of Detroit Diesel engines follow Detroit's recommendations regarding lubricating oils for their various engine models. This document can be downloaded with Adobe Acrobat software at www.detroitdiesel.com/public/svc/lofindex.asp . The exception is that Newell has confirmed over long term oil sample testing that multi-grade Mobil Delvac 1 performs very well in Detroit's two-stroke engines (92 series). However, Mobil (and Detroit through a private labeled Mobil product) now offer a straight weight version of Mobil Delvac 1. At Newell, we still like the multi-grade Delvac 1 because of easier starting in cold weather, but be prepared to experience a lot of prejudice against use of a mulit-grade in a two-stroke Detroit.

TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 09:26 PM   #3
Steve Saraga

I am going to switch to Mobil Delvac 1 from another synthetic oil in my 8V92TA. I have been able to find 5W40 Delvac 1, but the straight weight Delvac, what viscosity is it available in? And/or if I use the multi viscosity, what should I use? I am about to contact a dealer and buy a 30 or 55 Gal drum.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:37 AM   #4
TechTalk

We suggest you contact your nearest Detroit Diesel distributor to purchase Detroit's private label straight weight synthetic. As we recall, Detroit recommends SAE40. While the "traditionalists" at Detroit Diesel do not agree, we repeat our prior comment: at Newell we like the performance of multi-vis Delvac 1 with Series 92 engines, based upon superior cold weather starting. We have considerable experience as well as oil analysis documentation to back up our recommendation, which we have shared with Detroit. But old habits are hard to break.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
TechTalk

We were told by both Mobil and Detroit Diesel engineers that the private label Detroit Diesel synthetic lube oils were made by Mobil and were virtually identical to the respective Delvac 1 products. Delvac 1 was originally offered in 5W-40 and, as I recall, 5W-50, although the Mobil website currently lists only one product, 5W-40. The straight weight synthetic lube oil is Mobilguard SHC 40. Our service department follows Detroit Diesel's recommendation of the straight weight Mobilguard SHC for Series 92 engines. Personally, I prefer the multi-vis Delvac 1, particularly for its better performance and engine protection in cold start situations. That said, either is a premium product and offers superior performance to conventional mineral base oils. By the way, our friends in motor racing use synthetic oils exclusively, be it Nascar, IRL, CART, or F1. In addition to better lubrication performance under stressful conditions, synthetics consistently dyno with small, but consistent horsepower advantages. We expect that fuel economy would show similar improvement.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:41 PM   #6
Steve Saraga

Thank's for the response. Is the private label synthetic available at a Detroit Diesel distributor the product manufactured by Mobil, or is it something other? And if you have considerable experience with multi-vis Delvac 1, which vis were you recommending in your coaches? I am only so far able to find 5W-40. Would you recommend this vis for a Series 92? I live in Florida, and I must admit, 95% of my operations are in warm to hot climates.