U.S. Navigation the easy way - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Syd

Default U.S. Navigation the easy way

Hello Guys: My name is Syd Horn.Yes, a new guy. Well OK, new to the forum but 74 years of age. My coach is a 2010 Newell Coach #1408. I am a retired Louisiana Attorney. This is my second Newell. I had three Bluebirds before that. I am now Fulltiming with my wife Linda. That means I have alot of time on my hands so I have spent over 2000 hours building a navigation system. I have tried almost every GPS Navigation System on the market, but ended up liking Delorme Street Atlas 2013 the best.

In that regard I used to use the Big Rig book, but got disgusted in trying to find a campground by reading directions and sometimes another brand of Navigator would take me to the wrong place. That was bad for my blood pressure so I fixed the problem.

I took all of the campground directories, and added those campgrounds I had been to and located them on the map by using their address and aerial photographs. So far I have located 1029 campgrounds that will accommodate a 45' motorhome. I have located 852 Campgrounds that will accommodate a 40' motor home. Some of these can also accommodate a 45 but you have to call and ask specific questions. When I am sure they will meet my standards I move them to the 45' list. Being 13'4" tall I also located 1335 low clearance bridges tunnels etc.and marked them. I have added 385 road notes which include mountain grades, passes, roads that you not be sure are traversable in a Newell and added that information. I also located 331 Flying J (Now Pilot) fuel stops. 2722 Wal Marts that allow over night stays and 447 that do not allow over night stays. 161 Cummings dealers. 718 Corp of Engineers parks.3428 road additions that I have encountered that Delorme missed or left out. The Delorme program and gps sell for $49.99 and considering all the information contained in that program it is a bargain.

Some of my friends that have seen my program said I should sell it, so I now have it available on a CD for $50.00 including shipping.(I was told that $49.99 looks better but that insults my intelligence) In order to use the Delorme program you need a laptop running windows 7 or 8. Delorme will not run on Windows NT, or any Android.

I just got through talking to Boyd (Chief engineer at Newell) as I wanted to install the Delorme Program and my Camping information on a tablet and I wanted Newell to redesign the dash and put the tablet into the dash to compliment the glass dash made by silver leaf. No luck. Boyd said they were working on too many other changes. I used to sell the BF-250 water purification system to Newell but when my partner died and his son ran that part of the business into the ground I quit.

If anyone is interested in a very portable navigation system on a tablet, I would recommend purchasing a Windows 7 or 8 tablet, installing the Delorme street atlas and my data base and let your wife navigate with the tablet or if you are handy (very handy) install the tablet into the dash yourself. I recommend the Acer w-700 6499 with a 11.6" screen or you can use Microsoft Surface Pro but it has a slower processor and smaller 10.1" screen. I can purchase the tablet and install all the software for you if you want, but it will cost you $1,200 if I do it. The advantage of the Delorme program is that it will plot the route for you or you can modify it easily. It will also communicate with you and you can communicate with it via a blue tooth remote speaker/mike or one of those earbuds and mikes like you use on a cell phone.Or the above tablets have a built in mike and speaker.

When traveling you can command the computer to pan up or down on the map. Zoom in or out and even ask "where am I" or "Show next turn" etc. The Delorme program will also scan ahead of you for certain locations. You can designate it to scan the direction of travel or both directions.

If anyone is interested I can e mail you the set up instructions which will give you some idea of what the information looks like. For example: For the large RVs (45') I locate it on the map and I give you the name of the park, if it has wifi, how many FHU sites it has and if paved, Cost per day,week or month if advertised and finally their phone number.

Every campground is exactly where the GPS takes you because I located each and every one of them by using Google Maps. I can even turn the photos on or off using the Delorme program but I found out that because of the size of all the maps (Gigabites) it slowed the navigation program to a crawl when using my laptop which has a i7 intel quad core processor and 8 gig of ram. Therefore I don't include the maps. If you want to see what the campground looks like you can Google it to see the aerial photo. The tablets mentioned above also come with wifi.

I didn't know this web site existed and don't remember how I found it, but glad I joined. Before the internet I used to publish the "Bird Feeder" which was a news letter for Bluebird owners which did about what this forum does, but not as well.

Syd Horn

Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
The Newell

Hi Syd and Welcome,

I hope you are enjoying the Newell Forums, You have just found and joined the most informative website pertaining to Newell Ownership on the web. If you have any questions/answers please feel free to post them or to send one of us moderators a private message. We are all here to help so don't be afraid to call on us! Do you have any pictures of your Newell you don't mind sharing?

Welcome Again!

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Neweller

Hi Syd and welcome to LCL- Luxury Coach Lifestyle. I hope you enjoy this site as much as you are enjoying your Newell Coach. Sounds like you have created some nice navigation information and I'm sure the information is a bargain.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
NewellCrazy

"I had been to and located them on the map by using their address and aerial photographs. So far I have located 1029 campgrounds that will accommodate a 45' motorhome. I have located 852 Campgrounds that will accommodate a 40' motor home".

Just want to verify that what you have is correct since I assumed there are more camp grounds set up to accept 40' Rv's over 45's.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Syd

Thanks Joseph. This forum stuff is all new to me. I think I replied to the e mail before I read all of it. Now I know to reply in the forum. You asked if I had more photos of my Newell. Probably but I don't know why anyone would want to see them. If you have seen one Newell I think you have seen just about all of them.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
Syd

Sean: No the information about the 40' campgrounds is correct. Every campground I list has to meet certain criteria. First they must have the room for the coach, generally no trees or low clearance problems, 50 amp FHU connections, Wifi. If they don't have that I don't list them. There are many many campgrounds I have left out. I may own a Newell but I generally don't stay at the fancy parks. It angers me to pay $50.00 or higher a night to park my coach. You won't see me at Indio for example.I am presently in a Campground that most Newell owner would never attempt to enter. It is called Silver Lake Resort in Silver Lake Washington. There is only one site where I can fit but here I am. I like Bass fishing and this is a good place for it. As I run across campgrounds I am always adding them. I could not go anywhere without my navigation system. It takes all the work out of traveling and I never get lost so my blood pressure stays down and I keep a smile on my face.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Syd

Hi Ken: I got your e mail and after reading see that I am supposed to answer you this way. What did you have in mind in regard to marketing my LRV Navigator.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
Syd

I am still not familiar with using this site so excuse me if I have failed to answer someone.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
jWolfe

Welcome Syd. From the sounds of it your navigation would be suitable for all luxury coaches.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #10
Neweller

Syd, every time someone post a reply in this thread started by you, you're going to receive an email notifying you. I have spent plenty of time at Silver Lake. Some of my family still owns property in the area. It recovered nicely from the days following the MT. ST. Helens eruption. I remember the house being pushed down the road along the highway.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
The Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
Thanks Joseph. This forum stuff is all new to me. I think I replied to the e mail before I read all of it. Now I know to reply in the forum. You asked if I had more photos of my Newell. Probably but I don't know why anyone would want to see them. If you have seen one Newell I think you have seen just about all of them.
Hi Syd,

Not necessarily, It is a fact that there are no 2 Newell's alike. Main reason for uploading pictures and signature information is so that other forum members can help you out when an issue arises. If you change your mind about uploading pictures let me know I'd be happy to help.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
domer1970

Syd -

Clarification needed. Are you selling your data separate from Delorme's Street Atlas? Or is it imported into the Atlas ready to run?

Great idea you have there. Rand McNally and Garmin have dedicated RV GPS systems with most of that data, but they are over $300 apiece.
Marathon XL #0364
domer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Randy J

Welcome Syd.

Does your software come with a file or CD that we'd own forever? Or is it only a downloaded file? Also how do updates work for this software? Is it free upgrades?

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
NEWELLWIZARD

Welcome Syd, it sounds like your software is just what I need.

NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote