maiden voyage - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
encantotom

Default maiden voyage

hi my newell friends,

after many months of just fixing and updating, darlene and i (and our oldest daughter and her two kids) left friday nite about 630pm for a 4k mile adventure. i took 3 weeks off of work and off we go.

i have spent so much time working on the newell that it was nice to head out. did 325 miles the first nite and 300 today. did many steep grades coming out of mesa going up north out of arizona.

ran the generator non stop for seemingly days. it was 111 in mesa yesterday and as i was putting the finishing touches on the trailer hitch to tow the car i had to make a new electric connection cable since the hi/lo hitch extension lengthened it by 14" i also had to lengthen the safety cables. i was building the last plug on the cable sitting on the concrete in front of my house and it was hot....

a few things happened that were small so far. got one engine code that reset itself and didnt show up again. i also had a fuse go on the new 12v air compressor. i might have to bump it up from a 15 to a 20 with the new compressor. the solenoid diverter valve that switches between city water and the pumps hung up and we were without water till i got it cleared.

the funniest thing was as we were leaving the house pulling our honda crv we only moved a few inches and our daughter runs up waving her hands. the air brake system on the coach isnt set up the way i thought it would be and it locked the brakes up all the time on the car. so i just disconnected the air hose and off we went. i will fix it when i get home.

loving it so far. learning alot about it.

still things to fix and update but making great progress. loved the new latex mattress we had made for the new bed.

tomorrow after we attend church where we are staying we will head off to start to miami ok. will have a few things done there on tuesday.

didnt know if we were going to make it as some last minute problems came up thursday but it all turned out.

many thanks to our newell friends and others who have helped us so much.

later

tom and darlene

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
lbrachfe

Smooth sailing to you and yours Tom......

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
tuga

Tom,

Sounds like you have the little glitches under control. There's nothing like knowing your coach. Have fun at the Newell factory; one of my favorite places on earth!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
lbrachfe

Tuga,
"Favorite places on earth".....Tropical islands,Lake Como,Victoria Falls,Yellowstone,Hawaii,San Tropez,coastal Maine,British Colombia,Paris,Florence and then Newell Coach
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
express1

Safe travels Tom!!
Miami, OK not even on the radar.....
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
rheavn

Tom,
As much as I, like you, enjoy working on my Newell traveling in my Newell is like the reward for all the hard work. I hope you are enjoying all the rewards of your hard work! I'm leaving for the N/E in a month and am already itching to go.

Suggestion: Assuming that when you leave Miami, OK you'll take I-44 east, when you get to St Louis take I-270 north around the west & north side of the city. Much better than going through the city with its very narrow transitions. I-270 will meet back up with I-55 and I-70 on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River.

Visiting the Newell factory can be a great experience if you take the time to meet some of the greatest people you'll find anywhere. Also the techs will take time to answer any question you may have. I always try to gain enough educational information to justify paying the bill.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
afrench45

Just left Miami a few minutes ago, it's a nice calm warmmmmmm Oklahoma night! The lot was filling up quickly. Enjoy your trip and the factory.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
larryweikart

Have a great trip Tom and Darlene. Don't forget we are not too far North of Dayton if you get the chance to visit. Steve may have meant to take 270 around to the East and then connect up with I-70 towards Indy. Keep us all posted on your "maiden", hope to see you soon. Our Island is beautiful this time of year.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
chockwald

Safe travels Tom and Darlene!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
LynnJeff

Safe trip to you all....if you need a place to stay south of OK, in north Texas, email us off line. Best.

[TABLE="width: 338"]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl65, width: 450, bgcolor: transparent"]Lynn and Jeff[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl65, bgcolor: transparent"]1990 42.6" Newell #234, Newell Factory Upgrade 2008, Homegrown Upgrade 2012[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl65, bgcolor: transparent"]30' ATC Stacker Trailer[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE="width: 48"]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64, width: 64, bgcolor: transparent"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl64, bgcolor: transparent"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
LynnJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
encantotom

hi lynn and jeff,

thanks for the invitation. we kinda whizzed through texas last nite. we spent the nite in the crackerbarrell rv parking lot arriving at about midnite in oklahoma city.

today we are at camp newell in miami.

everyone is so friendly. going to have a few things fixed wednesday and then head out.

tom and darlene

Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
encantotom

an update.

i have been having an ongoing saga of trying to get a turbo boost sensor circuit voltage low check engine light fixed. had it to 3 different places including running it on a dyno to reproduce it. thought it had fixed itself....ha and as i was leaving newell last nite, the light came on and so did the stop engine light. the stop engine light flickered on and off and then stayed off. i called my bus guy in phoenix and he said it should be a soft fault and not shut the engine down. btw, my experience is not that, it has shut the engine down.

so, i called central detroit diesel in springfield mo and they took me in at 830pm last nite.

roger took the ddec out and we found a bent pin. and there was a bolt stuck behind the ddec starting to wear and it made a connection between the ecu and the engine. it is supposed to be isolated as it is mounted on rubber grommets.

in addition david brady told me about the barometric pressure mod that was done and inserted between the turbo sensor and the ecu. roger asked if he could take it out and i said yes.

after a cheap bill of 2 hours labor, we were off about 1130pm last nite and drove 120 miles no issues. then drove another 300 today no issue. hopefully i am fixed.

i learned some other things after a too pricey of a day at newell that i will share later.

thanks to those of you who have been contacting me to make sure we are doing ok. the grandkids are doing great.

but....it is very hot here in indiana. was 103 today. what is the deal? only 80's in phoenix today and 103 in indiana?

tom

Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
rheavn

"what is the deal? only 80's in phoenix today and 103 in indiana?"

Indiana is just trying to make you feel at home!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #14
encantotom

btw we are getting about 7.8mpg running 68mph. that didnt count the huge mountains in az , just running through ok, texas, mo and indiana.

tom

Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
fulltiming

I'm envious of that mileage Tom. As you know, I rarely get over 6.3 - 6.5 mpg with my 8V92 in a lighter coach. The Series 60 seems to be serving you very well (now that the Turbo Boost issue seems to be corrected).
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
davidmbrady

That's good news Tom, have a great trip!

David Brady
'02 Wanderlodge LXi,
Asheville, NC
davidmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
tuga

Tom,

If you want to see some impressive mileage; slow down to 60 mph! I know it's not easy to do (I personally like to drive 65) but you will 8+mpg. I have gotten 8.25 not pulling a toad.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
encantotom

i have heard that 10mph can make as much as 1mpg difference.

i probably averaged about 62 or so

tom

Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
encantotom

we have hit about the 2000 mile mark and have been gone about exactly one week.

it has been a learning experience as i still figure things out. in addition getting things fixed along the way.

we are now with or son who is a Lt in the air force at wright patterson afb in dayton ohio. we are staying at the closet big rig park that is about 20 miles from his house. big rigs are certainly not expected to be as big as our rigs.

the park we stayed at in oaktown indiana the last two nights said over the phone no problem for a big coach. when i pulled up in front of the office the lady said that her dad didnt realize how big our big rig was.

we had to do some shuffling to get out this morning but made it ok.

this park is tomorrows stars rv resort in south charleston ohio. nice place with a big pull through spot. but i will have to back up to not get all scratched up on the trees.

we are here for most of the week and then off to richard and rhondas, then to steve and suzy bares. we have missed seeing some of our friends and are sad that we couldnt see more. our schedule got shuffled around some.

later

tom and darlene, daughter laura and grandkids katy and willy.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
RussWhite

Tom,

Our exerpience exactly, as far as parks and big rigs. It is probably pointless to ask, and we try to do all the reserach ourseves, but once we are decided we call anyway and ask for a site that we can get into and out of and not hit trees, etc. We describe the coach as the same size as a Greyhoud Bus - that has seemed to get some attentiion. Recently we were asked after registration to turn down a particular road to follow their golf cart. I had looked over that turn earlier and thought it could be a problem I told them I preferred not take take that route and was told "We have had 70 footers make that turn!" Now I am not sure what a seventy footer is, but I held my ground and we got a much easier route as a result to our site. In the end, all the responsibiliy is our own and not on anyone else. That is why I do as much as I can on the coach - so I know how it was done and learn with each project.

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote