Squirrel cage wont squirrel - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Default Squirrel cage wont squirrel

I tried running the generator for a while today but it got hot. I discovered that the squirrel cage fan is not running. I tried to find the main breaker box, assuming that was the best place to start diagnosing the problem. The main breaker box does not appear to be where it was on my '78...I CAN'T EVEN FIND IT!!! Help! please.

Thanks guys

Dean

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

I have most of the fuses and breakers in two locations. One in the passenger footwell. The kickpanel is held in place with spring loaded fasteners. The second is in the bedroom closet on the driver's side.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
fulltiming

The generator fan runs on 120 volts so you can disregard the 12 volt circuits in front of the passengers seat. I believe that the circuit that feeds the generator squirrel cage fan feeds directly from the generator. Check just inside the compartment that houses the squirrel cage fan. Mine has the wire coming in from the genset going into a small box and the wire to the fan coming out of it. I haven't had it apart but there could be a fuse inside that box.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
HoosierDaddy

Default Squirrel fan and batteries!!!

I found the main breaker box today. It is in the far back corner in a closet within the rear-most closet. Everything looks good there. Still no power to the generator fan...I found two breakers on the generator "box" ...they were not tripped...looked fine.It's gotta be something simple. There doesn't seem to be any kind of switch or anything in the wire between the fan motor and generator. I guess I'll pull the cover off of the connection box on the fan motor.
I've got one of those small automatic 50amp "boost" battery chargers. I hooked it up to the four 8D house batteries Friday. Typically a dead battery wont seem to take a charge at first and that condition prevailed for at least 12 hours. Today they seem to be taking 10 amps (which is what I have the charger set on)..Maybe I can save them???

Thanks for the responses as I continue my education
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
JohnC

The power for the genset cooling fan motor comes directly off the generator. The fan motor is 220 volts using both legs of the genset. Most common problem is a loose fan belt followed by dry shaft bearings. If you examine the shaft bearings you will see a small hole on top. A few drops of oil will normally do wonders.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
HoosierDaddy

Thanks for the reply John. The fan runs free..The motor is free as well, It appears to not be getting current.