Under glow for coach? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Derek Knight

Exclamation Under glow for coach?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ID207-1335.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	2972

This is too cool! Anyone have a under glow kit on their coach? I wonder how much doing something like this would run?

Derek Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Neweller

Derek, this is definitely a show boater kind of thing. It does look kind of cool. Once upon a time a I was a very large supplier of this type of thing and a friend in Florida started a company call "Street Glow", I believe he has long since sold out for a few million. A really big hit on street cars and of course is now trickling over to the RV industry. There are many company's selling such products, most being made in Taiwan. Some have had problem while others have not. Just for anyone whom might care.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
NEWELLWIZARD

I've always been a fan of Featherlite coaches.

Check this glowing baby out -

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	2973
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
GORDON HUMMEL

I have some experience lith LED's & have done some coaches for friends. I usually attach the LED's to PVC pipe & then attach that to the underside.
Single color 5050 5 meter long, 300 Led's are selling for <$20 with IP65 waterproofing & more than twice that for IP68, for a more professional look!
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Neweller

That is a very sweet looking coach for sure. The body has a very clean look and feel to it or what we call sanitary! Looks like the newer Prevost H3-45-S3. Featherlite is obviously using an under glow kit for promotional reasons.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Neweller

Gordon, what you are saying is $20.00 per foot, correct? Are you gluing the LED strips to the PVC pipe? I need to check out the IP65 and IP68 you are referring to. I'm assuming it is a type of epoxy?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Cheri Smith

It looks to flashy for me. Maybe I'm old fashioned?

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
GORDON HUMMEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Gordon, what you are saying is $20.00 per foot, correct? Are you gluing the LED strips to the PVC pipe? I need to check out the IP65 and IP68 you are referring to. I'm assuming it is a type of epoxy?
Ken,
Thats <$20 per 16 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!; thats why so many of us changed everything to LED's. The LED strips come with adhesive backing, so you just clean the pvc and apply it to the pvc pipe. When doing the wiring on motorhomes or motorcycles, I use remote control <$6, that way you don't have to run wires all over the place to turn them on. Just a littly fob.

IP65 & IP68 are 2 different types of silicon covering for led strips(and ather things) Most of us use IP65 for general purpose lighting that may be exposed. If you put led's in fixtures or up in coves, you don't need anything on the LED strips IP68 is $40-50 PER 16 feet, but it's what I use outside.
Superbrightleds.com has an excellent site that explains all the different types of led's and waterproofing. When I first started some years ago, I purchased everything from them. MY first led's were the 3528's & cost about $10 per foot! 3528 are now < $7 PER 16 FT

Over the years I've posted lots of pictures of LED's on this forum
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Neweller

Are these Chinese made LED's? Back in the 90's and up to about 2004 I was a fairly large manufacturer, distributor and sourcing agent for the automotive and RV industry among other related products. The LED's were just starting to come on the scene, but very new to the 12v arena. I was just starting to dabble with them, when a Taiwan based manufacturer bought us out through their US partner, I signed a non-compete and moved on. Now, I'm studying the lighting industry again to see what's currently trending. I know their are only a small handful of actual manufacturers in the US making the LEDs and one major player out of China that are doing quality. Everyone buys from these company's to build whatever then need etc..

Thanks for all the great info you have been providing, it is fantastic!

-Bob Marley
Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
GORDON HUMMEL

Ken,
When I first started, I purchased all the items from domestic retailers. All the parts I received were made in China. I was not aware that there were any domestic mfg's that sold retail. After I purchased from various Ebay sites, I settled on one, mainly because of consistant quality, not the lowest cost.

As you will find out there are 4 different WHITES when it comes to LED's. Everyone has there own preference. My coach has blue accents so in some areas I prefer the cool white, which had a blue tint. For reading & undercabinet I prefer pure white. Warm white has a yellow tint; cold white approaches blue.

I've included a link below that has quite a bit on info on LED's. One of out members even visited an Led factory, while he was on business there.

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/e...-fixtures.html
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
Fulltime on the road
Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
speedingsport

Don't have a under glow kit Derek but now that you show us this picture and Mike showing off that Prevost Featherlite I'm liking that look at night. It would make a great night light right?

Cheri and Ralph when it comes to my Newell I like flashy!

speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote