Buying a Newell - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Richard and Rhonda

Lots of stuff in your post.

Driving lessons, there are some folks out there who give lessons but I say first of all find an empty big box store on Sunday morning and practice the low speed stuff. You are going find that the mid 90's vintage will not turn quite as sharply as your Monaco. The time to find that out is before getting into a squeeze. Then, I can assure you that there are MILES of flat interstate between you and Quartzite to learn how to drive it. The three key items for new drivers for me are 1) put your right foot in the center of the dark stripe, the oil stripe, that runs the center of the lane 2) Use the rear views to fine tune your centering in the lane 3) if possible use the cruise control until you get the hang of working the throttle to get over the hill and down the other side without significant change in speed

Your coach probably has a Motosat antenna. Depending on the last time it was used with Direct TV, it may or may not have been taught the New DirectTv satellite locations. Easy to do with a laptop and a connection cable. If the dish just hunts and hunts and never locks on, that is probably the problem. The original Motosat antenna will not pick up HD channels. So if you are a big TV watcher, plan on an upgrade.

Camping World is an expensive place to buy anything. Use google for the 12V freezer. Lots of good stuff out there.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
chockwald

Pat I have noticed when reading agendas for various rallies such as FMCA, or Good Sam that often one of the seminars available is a class for wives to learn how to drive the big coaches. If you belong to FMCA, or Good Sam you might go to their websites and find referrals, or ads from the people who offer these services.

I know a number of newer Newells have dishwashers, cameras, etc.

On Thousand Trails, I think you have good a pretty good membership if it is Platinum. As long as you have been keeping the maintenance fees up to date you should be good to go with them. Very inexpensive to stay at their parks if you are a member.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
prairieschooner

We just joined last year by getting one of their "Zone Passes" to start with. We have only been to the Thousand Trails park near us so far but did enjoy it. That park, Wilderness Lakes, isn't always available and I have been told that in the summer it isn't all that desirable because it is next to a Dairy Farm!!
A word of caution most parks would only have 120 Volts, 30 Amp Service. We have been able to live comfortable with 30 Amps but it did take some getting used to.

We are also members of Colorado River Adventures. Like TT not all of the parks are
desirable to us but we do enjoy a few of them. These membership parks do help with the costs but CRA only has 30 Amp service as well.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
prairieschooner

I forgot to add that we sometimes need to use the portable antenna on a tripod. Because of trees and the like I have about 50' of Cable.
We have an older TracVision but also need to enter the new zip code if we have gone a couple hundred or more miles and this even worked in Mexico.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
encantotom

pat,

the i want list can be long and expensive, but nothing is impossible.

as for combined nav and camera monitor, it is much more difficult to do than just either. i am playing with doing some of that now but have not got it figured out the way i like yet. or i may just not do it that way. if you are not a real AV geek, you might not get what you like. i am looking at getting a raw lcd panel and tearing into it to get the triggers the way i need. not sure everyone can do that.

the 7" monitor used for high end rearview and side cameras for me is not big enough for the nav system and i am used to running my laptop for nav.

as for a drawer dishwasher, hang onto your wallet because that is going to be quite expensive and be a ton of work to put in. the cabinets will need to be reworked. and the dishwashers themselves are pricey. our new 2002 doesnt have a dishwasher and it is going to stay that way.

if you guys are able to stop here on your way home i can go over things and ideas with you. i travel a bit for work and will be in asia from the 21st of this month till the 2nd. and then in israel the week of the 11th in march.

i would also suggest that you spend some time with your coach before you start changing much. as you might change your mind. as for built in vacuums, my 2002 has one but is not as strong as a good small portable one. and the hose takes up as much space as the portable one does.

i can show you what i did on my 90 and what i have done and am doing or going to do on my 2002. you might get some ideas or give me some ideas.

like richard said, you just need experience and room in driving these babies at first.

i suspect you will find some or a number of things that need fixing or updating so be prepared for that. i would make sure that mechanically and system wise that everything is working the way you like first. then make a list of things to research and figure out the priority and importance of the things you like.

for instance, our 2002 was a hospitality coach and doesnt have a washer dryer. we would have liked to have one, but it is not a priorty so we will not add one.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #26
Richard and Rhonda

You didn't ask this question, but the answer came whilst I was working in the garage. Besides the normal maintenance stuff, what is the one thing you would do that is unique to the Newell.

Based on my experience, and similar experiences of others with similar vintage Newells. Find the control boxs for the AC units. They are little silver boxes very close to the fan unit for each AC zone. Check the wire nuts in each of those boxes where 110 power is supplied. For some reason they work loose, which causes a bad connection. That leads to heat, or high current which either frys a relay on the control board, or worse the compressor. It's a two hour treasure hunt that will show you the innards of your new coach.

Newell was very crafty in hiding these little boxes. Call me when you start on this project.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
prairieschooner

Yep wire nuts are BAD! I have seen them wrapped with electrical tape but there is a better way, some have a set screw affair.

I would agree that you should use the coach for a while prior to changing things but a Clothes Washer and dryer is important!! it does extend the stay. I think that an ice maker is important as well, best place to keep your Ice Cream.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #28
GORDON HUMMEL

I will second the vote to check the wire connections in the internal AC control boxes that Richard mentioned. My problem was at the connection(s) outside at the compressor and condensor fan wiring. The loose wire nuts cost me a fan motor, capacitor & finally a compressor.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #29
folivier

Steve, I disconnected the water supply to my icemaker and plan to use it for ice cream. Fill it up with rum raisin!
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #30
chockwald

Forest....my favorite ice cream by far is Rum Raisin.....Elaine actually soaks additional raisins in rum for about a week, and then adds some to every serving....that is when she lets me have ice cream.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Steve, I disconnected the water supply to my icemaker and plan to use it for ice cream. Fill it up with rum raisin!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
folivier

My mom used to soak raisins in rum when she made bread pudding. I'll have to try that for my i scream.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #32
larryweikart

Well, Pat, as you can tell by these comments, with this forum, you will never be alone with any concerns about your Newell. Just a couple of additional comments as you proceed along the way. First, don't be overly concerned about driving. As long as you can keep the front 5 feet between the white lines, the other 40 will follow nicely. The FMCA rallies do have a good driving school. I would also recommend that you build a relationship with the Newell Service people. They are invaluable when it comes to information relative to your coach. The 24hr trouble line never fails to get someone to give advice. Good Luck and Good Travels.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #33
folivier

Thanks Larry for bringing me back on topic
Pat, another suggestion is to look at the Escapees club http://www.escapees.com/bootcamp/escapade.asp , they have training sessions they offer and one in Sept. in Sedalia, Mo.
Good luck with your new coach and please ask when you have any questions or problems. Someone here has probably had and resolved just about any problem you may run into.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
express1

Default Come On Steve!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Yep wire nuts are BAD! I have seen them wrapped with electrical tape but there is a better way, some have a set screw affair.

I would agree that you should use the coach for a while prior to changing things but a Clothes Washer and dryer is important!! it does extend the stay. I think that an ice maker is important as well, best place to keep your Ice Cream.
Ice maker for ice cream???????? Ice maker for JACK!!!!! and other cocktails.....
Don't think we could surrender the washer/dryer...
Just spent 3 weeks in
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
express1

Default Come On Steve!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post

Ice maker for ice cream???????? Ice maker for JACK!!!!! and other cocktails.....
Don't think we could surrender the washer/dryer...
Just spent 3 weeks on a trip with my brother Cannon....His coach has the Splendid junk........He said is works good enough for one person....They take forever to wash and dry..... Gotta have stacked Kenmore. 220
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
prairieschooner

The Kenmore stackers work well on our '82 but I have no experience with the others.
Wire Nuts are fine on a House but with any vibration they fail and have a standard that eliminates them from use in boats.

Hey Matt, don't knock it until you try it! Since I was told about the Icemaker trick for ice cream we only store it that way. Thankfully we have a Rediline to keep the Icemaker working while traveling, I bet the PO used it to store his Jack. Cocktails at 5!

My Grandmother soaked her raisins in Vodka and claimed that it helped her Arthritis.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #37
Richard and Rhonda

Steve,

What is used on boats in lieu of wire nuts?
CoMotion Tandem
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #38
prairieschooner

This really belongs under electrical but these are ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) Recommended Standards. Check E-11.6.3.6. These are some of the Electrical Wiring Standards (if you want more I can check and post those).

E-11.16.3.5
Connections may be made using a setscrew pressure type conductor connector, providing a means is used to prevent the set-screw from bearing directly on the conductor strands.

E-11.16.3.6
Twist on connectors, i.e., wire nuts, shall not be used.

E-11.16.3.7
Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit. If soldered, the connection shall be so located or supported as to minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder changes the flexible conductor into a solid conductor.
EXCEPTION: Battery lugs with a solder contact length of not less than 1.5 times the diameter of the conductor.
NOTE: When a stranded conductor is soldered, the soldered portion of the conductor becomes a solid strand conductor, and flexing can cause the conductor to break at the end of the solder joint unless adequate additional support is provided.

E-11.16.3.8
Solderless crimp on connectors shall be attached with the type of crimping tools designed for the connector used, and that will produce a connection meeting the requirements of E-11.16.3.3.

But basically a Crimp-On type terminal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #39
pdparson

We are leaving Missouri on the 22 and heading to az to pick up the Newell, we are towing our boat to fish Lake Alamo for a week and then head home to Missouri..wish us luck!! We pray this was a good deal!! We are so excited.. You guys are the absolute best and have been so helpful, if I have no answered each of you it is due to internet problems we are having living very rural...thank you one and all
Best
Pat
pdparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #40
NewellCrazy

Smile

Welcome and congrats on your Newell purchase. We look forward to meeting you someday.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote