new gauges and homemade dash panel - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
encantotom

Default new gauges and homemade dash panel

hi all,

i added a digital engine temp guage and installed new senders on each bank of cylinders on the engine. then i put a switch on the new dash panel i made to switch the gauge between the two sides of the engine to compare temps. the old dash engine temp sender was on the passenger side of the engine and the DDEC temp sensor is on the drivers side by the water pump. i left the DDEC one in and took a plug out below it and put the new sender in.

i used a cyberdyne blue led digital gauge. i had run 8, 14 gauge wires from front to rear a few weeks ago to use for this and other things.

i made a dash panel to match as close as i could the existing dash panel. since i had taken out the old crt backup monitor when i installed the LCD one up by the rearview mirror, i had a space there i had a blank plate in before. i am also upgrading my headlights with relays and one new pair of glass ones from daniel stern. i ran all new 12 gauge wire for all of that.

the 4 relays i installed right below the new dash panel inside the console. i had no room on the DC power panel in front of the passenger seat.

i put switches on the new panel to have more control over the lights. i wired them the same way richard did his. i used a red lighted rocker switch to tell me when i had all 4 headlights on in DIM mode.

the dash panel i made this way. 1. measure the opening and add about 1/2" or whatever looked good to it to overlay the hole. then i got a piece of aluminum plate to fit just barely inside the hole. as you look at your dashes in these vintage of coaches, they are plastic glued to aluminum to give it more strenght. i simply did the same thing. then i cut a piece of 1/4" plexiglass in a ring to go around just exactly the same size as the hole to be an insert to hold the panel in place.

then i did a cad drawing of the exact size of the panel and holes for the switches and new temp gauge. (i replaced the engine temp gauge on the dash with a pyrometer i am installing).

then i went to a local trophy shop and had them laser cut the panel and label the switches the way i wanted. it is much cheaper if you give a cad file than having them lay it out.

then i traced the holes on the aluminum and used a dremmel tool and cut out the holes and filed them to match perfectly. takes a while when you are old and slow like i am.

then contact cemented them all together and walla, a new dash panel that is very close to the same. the pictures below were with a flash so it shows every dirt. in normal light they are hard to tell it is different than the old dash other than the lettering is a little whiter.

should be fun to have more gauges to watch.

thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing it.

later

tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4561.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4562.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4586.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4587.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	133  

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Tom,

It looks great, and I know you will have better peace of mind having the pyrometer guages.

Let us know how you like the lights when you get them installed.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
fulltiming

'old and slow', yeah right. You are certainly neither of those Tom. You are a perfectionist and that shows in everything you do. Looking forward to seeing your handiwork in Austin.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote