Smart Tire problem - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
tuga

Default Smart Tire problem

Newell has installed a SmartTire system on my coach in October 2008. It worked great for 2 months; then last week it gave me a E01 (not receiving a signal) on the passenger side tire. I spoke to the service department and they suggested that I send the SmartTire receiver to be repaired/replaced back to the factory.

Has anyone else had any problems with their SmartTire system?

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
encantotom

i looked at the smart tire system but didnt like that you had to dismount the tire from the rim to change the unit. it is nice that you get tire temperature though.

i ended up buying the doran pressure pro. i had concerns at first about the transmitter units being on the valve stem, but after using them, those concerns are gone. it remote monitors the tire pressure and has alarms as well. and i believe is considerably cheaper.

that said, i am no help on your problem, though i wanted others to know of the alternate system to smart tire. the other problem is unless the manufacturer can tell you what the solution path is for the particular error code you got, you will have to swap stuff around.

if it is not one thing, it is another....that is for sure. good thing this is a hobby for most of us. (in a strange way, i include you michael). even though you live in your hobby.

i am sure you have the manual info, but here is a troubleshooting guide with a link to downloading the entire manual. http://www.dickmantires.com/pdf/Gen2...eshootV201.pdf

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
tuga

Tom,

Thanks for the download manual information.

I sent the receiver via UPS to Junction City, OR to be repaired/replaced; that is step one as was suggested by Newell. If that doesn't work; step two would be to remove the sending unit in the tire and send it off to be repaired/replaced. Or I suppose I could switch tires and see if the problem follows before breaking the tire down.

There is a procedure that is in the owner's manual that explains what to do when the tires are rotated so that the unit recognizes the change.

We'll see!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
encantotom

lets hope the reciever is bad. that would certainly be the easiest fix.

tom

Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
timebum

Default smart tire

So Tuga, what was the final fix for your problem? Art
timebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
tuga

Hi Art,

The Smartire sending unit inside the tire broke away from the hose clamp that holds it to the rim and it broke into a thousand pieces. It was under warranty, so Smartire paid for everything. The new one is working fine. It's a good system.

How is your coach running and performing?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 06-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
afrench45

Toga, does your gauge move often? my coaches seems to never change, and i am now questioning if it is working. It has chimed once that i had a problem but when i stopped everything checked out ok. any suggestions?
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrench45 View Post
Toga, does your gauge move often? my coaches seems to never change, and i am now questioning if it is working. It has chimed once that i had a problem but when i stopped everything checked out ok. any suggestions?
afrench,

My gauge moves constantly. The pressure and temperature are constantly moving. Mine chimed when it first broke loose from the band that holds it in place in the well of the aluminum rim. It broke into a 1000 pieces; Smartire replaced it free and it has worked fine ever since.

I like the system very much. I have a friend who has the Smartire system and he loves it.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 06-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #9
afrench45

Im beggining to think, maybe mine is only hooked up on the front of my coach. Is there any way i can tell if my rears are hooked up? Is the sensor a cap that goes on the stem, or is it in the wheel well?
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
encantotom

the smart tire system is inside the tire. the one i have is the pressure pro and it goes on the valve stem. yours does temp and pressure and mine does only pressure.

tom

Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrench45 View Post
Im beggining to think, maybe mine is only hooked up on the front of my coach. Is there any way i can tell if my rears are hooked up? Is the sensor a cap that goes on the stem, or is it in the wheel well?
afrench,

When you first start your coach (or turn the ignition to the first notch) the Smartire system will activate. If you only see 2 tires in the display you only have the 2 front tires with sensors inside. If you see a display with all 8 tires (somebody with a full system jump in here) then you have a complete full system with 8 sensors.

I only have the 2 front tires in my system. Adding the other 6 tires is a little expensive!

You can also have the system installed on your tow car! That is really nice.

I am a firm believer in the Smartire system; it can save your life by warning you in the event of a front tire blow out. If a tire starts to lose air while you are driving at highway speeds the Smartire system will sound an audio alarm when the tire loses 16 pounds of air. This should give the driver time to pull over and stop before the tire blows!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
Barry Rooker

I had Newell put the SmarTire system on all eight of my wheels early on and I like being able to check the pressure & temp on each tire at any time. About 5-6 years after the installation, one sender reported a low battery, so I had all eight replaced with new ones. Big project actually, pulling all eight wheels off & dismount/remount the tires.

I watch tire temp more than pressure and while Michilein tech reps have told me not to worry below 195 degrees, when I see 160 or more, I just slow down 5 mph and the temp drops right away.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
prairieschooner

Smart Tire System would be nice. I am still using the Dumb System, I have a Digital Pressure Gauge that I got at Quartzsite and I go around the coach and check tire pressure. Next I simply hit each Tire with a Club (sawed off Baseball Bat) while I do my final walk-around prior to getting underway.
If I had the $$ for a Smart Tire System I would rather simply hire someone to help me with this task
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9057988-young-sexy-woman-with-bat.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1156  
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
rheavn

Hey Steve,
You use the same method I do except I also use an infrared heat gun too---makes sure neither the tires or me are getting too hot!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
prairieschooner

Good idea! I'll get my Heat Gun ready for next week! I'll see if Tricia will grab the BAT!

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote