Generator auto start - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Default Generator auto start

I'm generally happy with the invertor/charger in my Newell. I have heard of systems that will start the generator if the house batts get low. I'm thinking it was a part of the invertor / charger. I'd like to find a stand-alone component if it's available. Just wondering if anyone is aware of anything like that?

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
encantotom

hi dean,

all of the auto start control systems i have found are for specific inverter/chargers and specific generators. there may be generic ones out there, but i have not run across them yet. if any of our newell friends here on the site have auto start for our vintage of generators then they can tell us what system they have.

not exactly much help, but it is what i have found out so far

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
jwe648

Default Here's One option

Here is one option & link.. I had considered this for my coach...

Xantrex's Automatic Generator Start is a stand-alone unit that provides automatic On/Off operation for your generator. Compatible with any inverter/charger system except Xantrex MS/RS Series

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...tor-start.aspx

Jimmy
Old 09-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
encantotom

i had looked at the xantrex as well. i do not believe it is compatible with our generator without major modifications. could be i am wrong. if you look at the datasheet, it does list compatible gennys and model numbers.

it could be it can be hooked up to anything.

tom

Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
Ron Skeen

Hi Dean,
I install an auto gen start on my 89 newell. It was a stand alone made by Magnum (ME-AGS-S). I think it was used at first with the old inverter and charger but I am not sure. I then change the inverter and it was still working when I sold the coach. On my 96 I have changed to a pure sine Magnum MS series with the Auto Gen Start (ME-AGS) works with the ME Series remote panel. This has been working for over a couple of years and I'm very happy with the Magnum equipment. This is their site I think http://www.magnumenergy.com/Mobilepower.htm
http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...sheet_reva.pdf
I
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
Ron Skeen

Dean,
A good sorce for the Magnum is West Marine

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...st%20Popular|0
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
paultracy3

my inverter melted down a while back and i put in a new 5000 watt magnum with autogen start and it works well
paultracy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
afrench45

Wondering if anyone had more info about auto gen. start. My coach is at Newell so I don't know what inverter I've got.
Anyway I had a breaker trip on the pole and everything went dead and I would like to prevent that because my dog stays in the coach often and with no air it gets hot!
how much does one of these systems cost? Is it easy to install?
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
ashley

Send a message via AIM to ashley

you have two three thousand watt inverters. your auto gen starts up when bat voltage is down to 12.2.switch is above drivers seat
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
Bikestuff

My old inverter is on its last legs and am getting a new Magnum. I think my current system has 3000 Watts. Can anyone explain how to think about the sizing? Should I upgrade to a larger unit? The old one ran everything except Aquahot and A/C on battery....So to my brain it was sufficient. But the new coaches have two inverters...I wonder why that is. Should I just replace the 3000 Watt ProSine with a single new 3000 Watt Magnum?

Cheers,
bill
Coach #653 2003 powered by C12 Cat, BMW R1100GS, FJ Cruiser
Bikestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
afrench45

Bill, if my memory serves correctly (>50% of the time) I think I've got the same Pro Sine Invertor as you. It will run everything but the aqua hot and a/c as you said. I'm hoping to find a device that will be compatible with my Pro Sine I have now.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
encantotom

hi Tom,

i saw your coach at newell. it is really pretty from the outside. they gave me the keys and i took her for a spin. she pulls to the right alittle, you ought to get that looked at. (ha, yea right, just kidding)

i think we all have the same prosine 3.0 12v version (which they dont make any more by the way, they only make the 24v version). when i ran cabling all over mine i ran 2 cat5e ca bles from the control panel to the prosine in the bay in casei ever have to replace it the new inverters require a cat5 cable instead of the phone cable).

after looking at the AGS manual for the prosine, it doesnt look like a trivial install, but i could be looking at it wrong.

one of you need to figure it out so the rest of us can do it easily.

tom

Old 07-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
afrench45

So your why the batteries were dead and my coach would start!! Haha
ive got Newell looking into installing one of these on my coach. I looked at the Magnum system and the xantrex so we will see what they say will work the best.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
encantotom

from what i have researched, i would not get a xantrex. the magnum or outback are viewed as much better. they are more repairable with more spare parts. they were both started by guys who left xantrex when it became a conglomeration of acquired companies.

if i recall, the magnum or outback were 2800 watt and not 3000 watt and then they jumped up significantly in size from there.

just curious as to why more capability than what was original? it is all about batteries. what else would you power at the same time?

if you need to run something really powerful, and it is going to suck the batteries down such that the AGS starts the genny, why not just start the genny?

i am just wondering what the usage model would be for larger power consumption off of the inverter.

tom