2002 Coach Leveling Question???? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Billy Bussman

Default 2002 Coach Leveling Question????

The left rear of my 40' 2002 coach is lower than the right side. I was told by a tech that to adjust the unit, I need to raise the coach to max height, turn off the ignition
key, crawl under the left drive wheel, and loosen the 1/4" hex nut, slide up the rod 1" and retighten. The problem is there is no way to reach the nut since it is located inboard of the inside tire.

Any suggestions. One was to place the coach on jacks, and remove the two left wheels. I hope there is a better way to adjust the height.

Thanks for all Help!!!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Billy,

If you raise the coach to max height, look over the drive tire and see if you see the leveling valve mounted to the frame inboard of the drive tires. You should see an arm extended from the valve and at the end of that arm, a second vertical rod. There is usually a rubber "P" that acts as the connector. The rubber "P" has a hose clamp that tightens it to the vertical rod.

Before you reach in there !!!!!! Crib the coach with wooden blocks, jackstands, or something substantial. You do not want to put yourself in harms way at any time working under the coach or in a pinch point. You must put something under the frame to keep it from sitting down on you. Obviously, turn off the engine and ignition. This is very important. Turning off the engine, turns off the travel solenoids and isolates the height control valve. Now, reach in and loosen the hose clamp on the rubber "P" and move it in the direction you want the coach to move. If the coach is low, move the "P" up. Retighten.

Next step is critical, and can foul you up if you do not it this way. Manually lower the coach below the normal ride height, put it back in travel mode, and give it time to settle out. (make sure you remove the cribbing) If it's level and at the correct ride height, then you are done. If not rinse and repeat. If you just allow the coach to settle from it's jacked up position, it may give you a wrong reading due to the deadband in the HCV.

I am skinny enough to work in the fender well around the tires. If you can't reach that far, you will need a few helping tools. One, something long to loosen and tighten the hose clamp. Two, a pry bar of sorts to move the "P" up or down the rod.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Billy Bussman

Ok then I'll do the crib thing and hopefully getter done. I think it's Richard? - Thanks for such a nice detailed description we are on it.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
tuga

Billy,

You need to also know how high the coach should be at the correct ride height. According to Newell my 1999 model needs to be at 12.25" This height is measure from the wheel well behind the front wheels and the wheel well in front of the drive axle wheels down to the ground.

All four measuring points should be close to 12.25"

I will take several measurements and adjustments to the hose clamp on the rubber P to get everything even.

I crib my coach by putting 6" x 6" x 18" long oak blocks under the skid plates that are welded to the frame. Please be extra careful in placing these cribbing blocks; your life may depend on it!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Gone Busing

Can anyone tell me if all Newell's have the those skid plates welded to the frames? I really like the idea of knowing you can use this cribbing.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
afrench45

Yes, mine are. They are useful when going into low lying areas.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Skid plates saved my ass yesterday. I was trying to depart an RV park in the California Delta, and would have been stuck on an island without the skids.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote