Engine Upgrade Ideas for Your Luxury Coach? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Technical Exchange > Major Mechanicals
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Engine Upgrade Ideas for Your Luxury Coach?

Be warned, this post is intended for "Gear Heads" and maybe the person thinking about fuel economy.

I have spoken with and conversed with many Newell and other luxury coach owners whom have expressed interest or have questions regarding upgrading from an older engine to a later model engine. Mainly taking a V-Series engine to an Inline engine. This has been a major concern of mine as well. I have been stuck on the idea of my next coach having an inline 6 cylinder diesel.

Some of you seem to be in love with your old DD, Cummins or CAT V-6 or V-8 Diesels and that's a good thing, as somebody needs to like them. I have just found that once those engines are neglected the expense can go through the roof real quick. And if you run across a so-called $deal like many I have heard thought they had, a lot of times a new owner has just obtained a new hidden "huge" expense; a possible motor ready to puke on them.

The cost of re-building a V Series Detroit Diesel is pretty much unrealistic at today's costs unless you get lucky or you are doing the work yourself and just love the old rougher idling slobber jobbers. Ok, don't get mad at me for laughing. I have spent my share on $$$ on these drippers and I'm also wanting to stick up for some of you guys out there thinking about changing out or upgrading your existing "V" engines. Maybe I'm being a little facetious here picking on some of our old beloved engines. Hey the bus guys have no problem being honest about them. Heck, they called them slobber pigs. I admit many of the well taken care of older engines are very much diamonds and there is no reason for most to ever think about changing them out and I'm not trying to imply this.

What's kind of bugging me, is the fact that many bus-converters feel its worth the effort to upgrade a bus from the same old engines but some Newell guys are afraid of the idea. There have been many "would be" Newell buyers that have expressed interest in the idea.

Now, this is my opinion and as most of you know and understand, opinions are like _____ and we all have one. This is just my hair brain thoughts on the matter. Some of you will cheer me on and others will ask what planet I just got off?

My additional thoughts are if you are going to spend $20,000 on an old engine, why not upgrade? Myself I would pay extra for a coach that has a newer type engine and pay nothing extra for one that has the old style engines. After talking to most owners of the newer coaches, this is why they want a newer coach. The ENGINE! Series 60 etc........

I truly believe the Newell's with updated drive train, mainly the engine will hold its value much better than a none updated unit. I'm saying if you already have a need to re-build your engine, you may want to seriously consider this option, of course need to know you can get a good job done for the right money.

We're not talking about a "Butcher Job" but a Sanitary Upgrade". I've seen them and everything looks like it should and works like it should.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote