Air ride problems - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Default Air ride problems

I'm trying to sort out the HWH leveling and air ride system. I can get the coach to air up on the right but the left is 2" lower. The HWH control panel has a light on that is labeled "travel" (I think) I cannot get the panel to respond to any of the buttons. I'm wondering if that small air hose under the dash that is blowing is part of the problem. It appears that the HWH panel just has a flat 3" wide wire harness that goes through the floor I believe. A schematic of the system would be helpful....!!

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
fulltiming

I have the air/wiring schematic for the HWH automatic system but not for the Newell manual system. However, the basic travel system would work similarly. When either system goes to Travel mode, control is returned to the three ride height valves (center of front axle, right side of drive axle and left side of drive axle) and the travel solenoids (front behind the drivers side headlights and left rear and right rear in the engine compartment on the passengers side). You likely have a stuck travel up solenoid for the left rear axle. If that is not the case, your left rear ride height valve is either way out of adjustment (not likely if this just happened all of a sudden) or it is faulty. The solenoid would be my best guess and would be located in the engine compartment on the passenger's side as a part of one of the six-packs of solenoids back there.

I had the right rear level down solenoids fail at Newell and it prevented the right rear from lowering until it was replaced. A travel up solenoid on the left rear would prevent air from going to the left rear air spring.

The dash level/travel controls should only be electric controls to the leveling system control box which in turn activates the solenoids.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
encantotom

i have the newell manual system. it has toggle switches that are electrical only on the center console. i have worked on mine a bit as well and they are all functioning normally now. i found 3 bad solenoids in total and replaced them myself. mine were in the front, so i had to jack up the front as they are right behind the drivers side headlight very close to the bottom of the bumper. the ones for the back are on the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment as michael says. with a voltmeter i traced the various solenoids out and labeled them. i searched all over and it ended up to be as cheap to buy the solenoids from newell as from hwh. that way i got the right ones with the right orfice size as well. takes about ten minutes tops to change one after you have done it. it does seem odd that none of the switches on the dash work, or maybe i misunderstood your post. the solenoids just get weak with time and either dont open at all, or get stuck partially open causing a leak. i had some of both. they are pricey at about 80 bucks apiece if i remember right. when you take one out of the manifold, it will release all the air for that set of airbags and will lower the coach significantly, so dont be underneath it then.....for the back ones no problem, not so for the front ones.

have fun

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote