Newell Rattles? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2005, 02:38 AM   #1
davidmbrady

Default Newell Rattles?

I'm very interested in Newell coaches but am puzzled by one thing - can these coaches really be rattle free? I have experience with other high-end coach manufacturers, specifically bluebird and prevost, and have found that these coaches are not rattle free. They are wonderful to drive on smooth highways, but over cobblestone-like surfaces the do make some noise. How is it possible that Newell's don't rattle? Are even the older "vintage" Newells this tight? On another note, is there a prefered model year or range of models that are more desireable? Thanks in advance.

davidmbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Bob Scott

David, when I saw your question posted I just had to respond. I hate squeeks, rattles or bangs and even wind noise when driving any vehicle. This is especially true of a high end motorhome. The lack of all these irritating noises is a major reason for driving a Newell. I have owned several brand X's as well as converting a couple of buses and it is very difficult to eliminate all these little gremlins. The folk at Newell have about as near a perfect solution as anyone in meeting the objective of a quiet coach. We currently own a 95 and previously owned an 86. Both have been very quiet. I keep telling my wife that if you hear any unusual noise, something is wrong. Doors and drawers need to be properly secured. Blinds need to be properly stowed,etc. One reason, in my opinion, why Newell is as successful as they are is the fact that they build everything from the ground up. The changes that they do make are gradual and are proven as they go along. Some of the other manufacturers introduce completely new models every year and guess who ends up proving whether all the new systems are good and work properly. If your thing is solving someone elses problems buy brand X. If you want something that's ready to use and enjoy buy a Newell. At least that's my opinion. Good luck shopping. Bob

Bob Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
Tuga Gaidry

David, I also hate rattles. I presently own a '93 Newell 44' and previously had an '87 Newell Classic. I have never owned any other brand but a Newell. Both coaches were very quiet, and for the most part, rattle free. Once a year I have to tighten up the screws on my front TV plywood platform. That's pretty much it! Everything else; doors, windows, drawers, & cabinet slide-outs are rock solid and do not warp or bend. The only noise you will hear is the squeaking of leather rubbing on leather when driving on very rough roads (cobblestone, brick, or Louisiana highways). Ex: The driver's seat arm rest will rub on the window treatment when on bumpy, rough roads. My coach is 13 years old with 160,000 miles and it drives like a dream. I drove a '98 Prevost Liberty, and I must say that it was a very smooth, tight, and rattle free ride. Prevost makes an excellent coach. I have not had the pleasure of driving a Blue Bird. My '87 Newell Classic was also very quite. I have only ridden in one other coach recently, and it rattled so much that the salesman had to wedge a wash cloth in the bedroom door to stop the rattling. We could hear it from the driver's seat! I could see daylight thru the slide-out! Needless to say my friend didn't buy that coach.

I don't know how Newell builds such a quite, rattle-free coach; but, I'm glad that they do! And I am glad that I own one!
Tuga Gaidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
bfetters

We too have a 93 Newell (38')and on a trip to visit Bent's Fort we encountered a malfunction of our front axle air ride level valve. The front end went to system pressure and the ride went from smooth as glass to very buckboardish. My mother-in-law refers to our '86 Sportscoach as a bucket of bolts (actually quite quiet as motorhomes go) but admittedly no where near as quiet as our Newell. Even with the jackrabbit ride, we remained remarkably free of rattles. And that was without the blinds stowed (my mother-in-law wants them up to see, but only part way) and the grandkids have to have their's down with a window open inspite of the air conditioning. In my opinion it just does not get any better than a Newell. ~~~ As an aside, we encountered a U.S. Park Service employee at Bent's Fort who it turns out is the son of Newell Motor Coach founder L. K. Newell. We had an enjoyable conversation with the younger Mr. Newell about his father and mother as well as Newell Motor Coaches. If you travel near the area stop and look him up.
bfetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Tim Durham

David, the only thing I am aware of that Newell states in regards to rattles is found in their current brochure on page 8 under "Interior Excellence." "The beautifully contoured interior cabinetry is specially secured from floor to ceiling to prevent squeaks & rattles for the life of the coach." I think that we need to put some things in perspective. I own a 2000 Newell 45', two slides, with 140,000 miles. I am the second owner of this coach, but this is my first Newell and I couldn't be happier with it. I drove many miles in "high-end" bus conversions from all the major converters over all types of road surfaces. They all rattled, or squeaked, or popped, or made some kind of noise at some point - whether they were new or used. Then I drove and bought a Newell. I previously owned a 33' Fleetwood Pace-Arrow that would shake you until your stomach was upset.

If you find a coach that doesn't make some kind of noise when driven over a "cobblestone-like surface," it's a first for the industry. It is my opinion that the older "vintage" Newell's could not be as tight as the newer models, and a newer coach might be "more desirable" as it would most likely tend to have less rattles or other noises. However, think about all of the components in the coach. The engine, transmission, axles, wheels, and tires produce some vibration. The cabinetry and the items you put in those cabinets will make some kind of noise at some point. That short list only barely scratches the surface of the components that make up the coach. If you've never seen a coach being built, you should go see how a Newell is fabricated.

The Newell is a very quiet coach and as Bob pointed out, "... it is very difficult to eliminate all these little gremlins." My 10 year old house sits on a solid concrete foundation, but if you turned off the water, gas, and electricity so that nothing is running, it still pops and makes some noises at times because the earth underneath it moves. If you put wheels under my house and drove it down the highway at 70 miles per hour, it would fall apart. The Newell or any other coach becomes your house on wheels. At some point, you will have a minor noise to deal with. Mine has a few noises at times, but is a very quiet coach. When I encounter a noise or rattle, I find it and fix it. I believe this is true of any motorcoach or motorhome. This is my personal opinion and I believe you can't go wrong with a Newell. I hope this helps. Tim.
Tim Durham is offline   Reply With Quote