Replacing Tires According to Age - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
GypsyCliff

Default Replacing Tires According to Age

Cliff here again, with another question or two:

Our Newell Coach, which by suggestions here, should have new tires this year. When we bought purchased it, we didn't think it had been used more than a couple of times by the previous owner. We live in North Carolina, and have used the unit a weekend at a time since our purchase and is in a heated/cooled garage when not in use.

The 5 to 7 year 'rule of thumb' that is mentioned here -- does that not apply to hotter, sunnier climes only, or only to a unit that is out in the weather all year long?

I don't want to take any unnecessary chances, but I don't want to buy a set of tires needlessly either. Is there any way of actually testing a tire for elasticity and/or premature aging?

Thanks,

Cliff

1976 Newell Coach

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
fulltiming

Cliff, many factors will influence the life of tires. A tire that is left sitting for many months at a time will have the polymers that help reduce aging due to sun and ozone dry out at the outer layer. Not good for tire life. Keeping a coach where the tires are not subjected to the sun most of the time is beneficial to tire life. Keeping a coach in an area less subject to ozone (long way away from major metropolitan areas) will increase tire life. Avoiding road hazards and curbs will increase tire life. Driving fast in hot weather will decrease tire life. Driving faster than the tire is rated will decrease tire life. Overloading tires will decrease tire life.

That said, all rubber produces will age. The older they get and the more abuse they encounter the more likely they will fail catastrophically. The 5-7 years is a rule of thumb but the question you need to ask yourself is "Am I feeling lucky?" Running on old tires and being without insurance are somewhat similar. As long as you don't have a problem, you save money. If you do have a problem, the out of pocket cost and the extra inconvenience (and safety in the case of rotted tires) can be really high.

If you don't want to just buy tires based on a rule of thumb, take the coach to a truck tire dealer with some scruples and ask them to un-mount them and give you an assessment of their condition. If they look good inside and out and are pliable, keep them another year. The money you spend for the annual inspection is a lot less than buying new tires.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

If you have ever blown a front tire doing 70MPH on the interstate, you will answer your own question.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
The Newell

No, it's not just a sunny climate rule. However, it is a generalization. Your tires may last more than seven years, but the odds are they will not and why drive with the fear of a blow out in a large heavy rig. Sign up for the Michelin Tire Program it will save you a lot of money when purchasing new tires. You can sign up through the FMCA. Link below:

Tire Connection - Michelin Advantage Program

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote