sub floor rotten? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
cdat

Default sub floor rotten?

I'm talking to a guy in Wa that has a 87 Newell coach for sale. He has been very honest in his assessment of the coach as far as problems with it. One of the things he mentioned that I have some concern is he said there is a soft spot in the floor in that are of the ice maker and the fridge. He says it's just the sub floor and there is a steel deck underneath the plywood subfloor? Is anybody aware of the flooring construction on an 87 Newell? I'm not worried if it is just the sub floor, I plan on pulling the carpet and replacing with flooring anyway, so replacing a section of sub floor shouldn't be difficult.
The guy is asking 27k, so the price is right, I know it needs new tires, and there are some other mechanical issues that can be fixed, ie one bad A/C unit, cracked sink in bathroom, etc, but biggest concern is the floor.

John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
MrE

John, sounds like you're pretty handy if the sink and A/C unit don't intimidate you. The problem was probably caused by the ice maker not being winterized properly and the water line in freezing and cracking. I personally would look into West System (Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy) and see if I could repair the sub floor instead of replacing it. I just went out and looked and my 1986, and it would be a time consuming endeavor to pull the cabinetry out of mine to allow access to replacing the sub floor. Seeing as you're in my neck of the woods, you're more than welcome to look at mine anytime to see what you would be up against.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Neweller

John, here is a link that may give you an idea of the subfloor besides taking a look at Jon's. Forrest owns a 1993 and had done one heck of a nice job repairing soft rotten floor and installed radiant heat and cork flooring in the process.

Here's the link: http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...et-gasket.html

Either way you go, I wouldn't be too afraid of it. I have replaced quite a bit of wood in these Newell's and would personally take on any of it. I might do some things different the next time but wouldn't be nervous about it at all.

My mind loves sweat equity, it's my body that doesn't!
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
cdat

Jon, appreciate the suggestion, that would be a great deal easier then replacement of the sub floor, our intention was always to replace carpet with a cork or wood floor of any coach we purchase, so not that much extra work. (knock on wood). Jon appreciate the fact you would be willing to let me take a look at your coach, if I get further along in the negotiation I might very well take you up on your offer.
Ken, good link, have that saved to my bookmarks, looks like he used the epoxy treatment also, good to know lots of people trust it. I hear you on the physical toll of sweat equity, as I've aged I appreciate more and more how I used to fit into places easier, and it didn't take me 10 minutes just to stand up after being on my knees.

Thanks
John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote