Still tripping - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
prairieschooner

Tom,
It is about 100 degrees here in Yuma almost pleasurable. What is like in Mesa?
PS what is a helmet cam, with a wimax connection to a netbook?

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
encantotom

hi steve,

i have been traveling around asia the past ten days. malaysia (warm and humid, right by the equator), since friday in shanghai china (very nice time of the year, 70's-low 80's. rain on and off. tomorrow off to singapore and then home.

i look at all the buses as they go by and there are TONS's of them here. amazing how they weave in and out of heavy traffic while honking the horn.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
chockwald

I have begun to notice that when I think of taking vacation time my mind turns to where can we go in the Newell. I don't think about where I can fly, or drive my car....I think of what new place can I explore in my Newell.

Last night I had to go pick up my Ford Expedition from my mechanic.....the dreaded "Service Engine Soon" light came on last Thursday. I've had the "Check Engine" light come on from time to time, but have discovered that just means I'm low on window washer fluid, but this was a new light. My mind immediately runs to 4 figures (cost). Fortunately, it was only a vacum hose that had a hole in it ($172), so I decided to do a little preventative maintenance and have the radiator hoses replaced, and radiator flushed.

Anyway, I asked Elaine if she wanted to stop at "The Hat" and get some pastrami and frys to go and have dinner in the Newell (stored in my mechanic's storage yard), and she, without hesitating, said "yes!". While we were there I installed some more LED light bulbs in our "mood lighting" modules over the couch. Like Tom, and others we look for reasons to spend time in our Newell.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #24
folivier

Man, I didn't realize how fortunate I am to have the Newell parked in my back yard! Whenever I feel the urge it's there!
We plan to take it to dinner Sat. night to celebrate my son's b'day.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #25
tuga

A few years back Newell produced an advertising video (this was before PCs and digital cameras) and in the VCR tape the message was " Newell - the vehicle for getting there becomes the reason for going".

And that is really true: I think that we as customers sit around and think of ways to use our Newells. What a great product, a great company, and what a great country we live in to be able to enjoy such a fine dependable machine!

Thanks Karl & company!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #26
Richard and Rhonda

PS what is a helmet cam, with a wimax connection to a netbook?

Tom is suggesting I mount a mini cam to my bike helmet, run the camera feed to one of the little laptops, and use an aircard or similar to broadcast the ride live.

Just a couple more pounds to carry, that's all.

I don't think so.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 AM   #27
encantotom

Richard, whats the matter, are you CHICKEN?

tom

Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #28
Richard and Rhonda

I suppose so, you know I am easily intimidated.

Really, just no need to provide a documented record of me admiring the female hardware as it rides by, wait, I meant the bikes the girls are riding.

LOL, we were watching home videos one day of a vacation at the beach. The videos were five or six years old. Apparently the camera lingered on a young lady just a little too long. Rhonda busted me for it. I swore the statute of limitations had run out. Nope.

So, I think I'll leave the video camera at home.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #29
chockwald

Just got one of those small "Netbooks" to run my GPS (Delorme) program....takes up less space, and the screen size if more than adequate. It will take up a lot less space on my console, which will bring a smile to Elaine's face. They are very light, like Richard says. Don't know that I would want to add that weight while riding a bike, though. We spend enormous amounts of money making our "rides" lighter. Mine is an HP Mini 1151NR Netbook. Got it through Verizon as an upgrade to my Verizon Aircard. The Aircard is built into this Netbook, and it also has built in WiFi. The added bonus is that it has Windows XP installed, not Vista.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0034.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	388   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0035.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	390  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #30
express1

Default morning check

Hey all, during my morning walk-around. I noticed the left drive tire seemed fat. It is. The inside left drive tire is flat!!! My assumption is that it went down in the Park. (We are now in Hill City, SD.@ Rafter J Bar Ranch Campground. about 3 miles from CRAZY HORSE.) I called Good Sam, this is my first experience with them....Great Phone Skills. I will comment on service after replacement. My tires have less than 3,000 miles. Toyo M147 load range H. 11R 24.5. No signs of damage (still on coach) After removal I will inspect.
Replacement cost $450.00. We (I) am waiting for tire service to arrive. Connie has gone shopping...
Once again asking myself WHY. The answer once again.

PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP!!!
STILL TRIPPIN, with no return home planned...
matt & connie

tire service has arrived.
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #31
chockwald

Hey Matt.....why is it always the inside tire?! I've never had an outside drive tire go flat, or blow out...LOL! You will probably save enough on the labor and travel charges to pay your Good Sam ERS membership for the rest of your life! I had a blowout 80 miles west of Mesa, AZ. Good Sam paid for the travel time from Mesa to my location on I-10 and back (160 miles roundtrip), plus labor. I paid $370 for the tire.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #32
tuga

Matt,

Hopefully you won't have to replace the tire since you didn't roll on it! It may just need a plug and patch!

Consider yourself lucky that it didn't happen on the highway at highway speeds; then you may have had to buy 2 TIRES! It is always a good idea to do a walk around everyday even when you are in a campground - you never know!

I had a flat on my passenger side tag axle tire on the morning we were scheduled to leave a campground in Gatlinburg, TN. I could see that the tire was low (normal psi is 80) and it had 30. I aired it up with my trusty air doubler, drove to a truck stop and had it plugged and patched. It has been running good ever since.

A note to remember: when a tire runs low with 20% of its normal running pressure missing for any length of time - IT SHOULD BE REPLACED! The sidewalls become weak and it will blow when you least expect it. A Goodyear tire representative told me this. If you normally run 100 psi and it drops down to 80 psi and you keep running it for an extended time the tire is ruined!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 AM   #33
encantotom

i know i have the simpletons air pressure monitoring system that just goes on the valve stem, but since i have it on all tires, it is great in the morning each day on the road to just look at the monitor up in the cockpit and see what each tire pressure is at.

i know the doran pressure pro i have has now been upgraded with a fancier monitor and you can even get it to work with the vmspc now for some extra bucks.

it was a good 4-500 bucks that i spent on it. now i know my batteries are going to go out this next year and i will have to replace them, so that will be pricey, but not as bad as having to take the tires off the rims to replace the batteries.

tom, tired in singapore, cant wait to get home on saturday nite.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #34
chockwald

No,Tom, I have the simpleton's air pressure monitor....a handheld air pressure gauge.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #35
zcasa

yeah, I have a good system, too. I just have the Mrs. check the tires before each day of driving. So far, so good. lol Actually, I just use the simple manual system and keep the tires in the recommended time frame of replacement.

Off to Maine from CO on Saturday. Should be close to 2,500 miles and then we will mosey down the coast to FL by first week of November. Looking for sunshine and changing leaves. Hoping for the best.
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #36
folivier

Hey David if yall pass through Louisiana on the way back look us up! Cindy and I were thinking of taking a short trip somewhere the week before Thanksgiving, maybe we can meet up somewhere in Florida.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #37
zcasa

Hello Forest:

That would be great. Although, we are scheduled back to Denver on Nov 4th. Leaving the Coach in enclosed storage down there. We go back to FL on New Year's Eve and spend the winter there. Certainly, would be a blast to hook up for sure. Let's pm and stay in touch on the dates, locations etc. We would enjoy that very much.

Have a good day.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #38
express1

Default tire poop!

The rest of the story on my left inside drive tire....It was flat and off the rim in the park....called service to replace...they came out removed wheels, tire from rim, $450. new tire same brand and type. Old tire was not damaged.... no holes, no damage.... The tire service took it back to shop and water tested on new rim..... NO leaks!! I had a choice to purchase extra rim for old tire (less than 2000miles) for $180.00. plus New tire on old rim $450.00 . or they offered to buy my tire for $200.00.
I had no storage or way to replace if I got a flat, so I sold for $200.00.
I did have them replace the valve stem on my old rim... 2 days later the tire is still holding air @ 100psi.
p.s. we are (were) in Badlands, what a great place to get up close in a National Park....
We are now heading East towards Upstate New York.....
Again PRIDE of OWNERSHIP keeps you going (spending) and going!
Seeya later,
matt & Connie
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #39
fulltiming

I suspect that the valve stem was your problem. I have a very slow leak in one of my valve stems but it is a BIG hassle to have the wheel removed, the tire removed to have the valve stem replaced. If it gets worse, that will be my approach. Unlike car tires, truck tire service centers typically don't change the valve stems unless you specifically request it. Learned that the hard way.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #40
tuga

Micheal,

I have edited my post. I thought that you were talking about the valve stem needle. Sorry!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot