geneartor running, no power output - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
maillet racing

Default geneartor running, no power output

We have a 1980 Newell 36', it has a 12.5 generator that is running but not putting out any power....Any help would be appreciated,,,,,Thanks

maillet racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
fulltiming

Not sure about the configuration on the '80 Newell's but 90's models have a circuit breaker box on the side of the generator. If these are tripped, you will not get any flow of current. Assuming you have a manual transfer switch between Generator and Shore Power, make sure that there are no fuses blown in the transfer switch itself (mine has two small fuses on the front of the transfer switch).

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
maillet racing

Default generator

Thanks Fulltiming...we'll try it out and let you know...
maillet racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
encantotom

Cool

does the blower motor/fan run when the generator is on? if so, it is putting out 120v at least to the blower. (this is the one in the front bay that cools the generator). i assume yours has it like our 90 does. the blower is a 1hp motor that is run and connected before the transfer panel and if the generator is on and making power, it is running.

then, once you have checked the things michael says, you need to work your way back from the generator.

if you have a mechanical transfer switch, you can do a search on this forum and i made a post with pictures and wiring diagram on mine after i put new contactors in. the contactors are controlled in mine by the manual 3 position switch to select between ground, generator and off that in mine is up above the driver.

if you have a meter, you can check the voltage at the transfer switch.

from the transfer switch it goes to the circuit breaker panel inside the coach. you also need to make sure the 50 or 60 amp breaker that is for the incoming power from the generator/house is on and not tripped.

this should not be hard to find where the problem is.

fixing it is depending on where the problem is found.

regards,

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default generator power to the converter

I ad the same problem with my 81 38' I couldn't get my house batteries to charge until I plugged in the shore power cord near the power transfer switch in the rear as soon as I plugged the shore power cord in the charger converter started and the problem was solved. Hope this helps. See ya Graham
gstarkie@utah.gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
fulltiming

Thanks for adding an obvious potential issue. In my coach, the original battery boiler (charger/converter) is also plugged into an outlet near the transfer switch. When I installed my ProSine inverter/charger, I left the original charger/converter in place and just unplugged it.

If the charger/converter is not plugged in, it should not recharge the batteries at anytime, generator or shorepower but that is certainly something to check out.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
encantotom

i guess i am getting confused. the battery issue would only be a problem if the generator would not start. if it is running, but not putting any AC power into the coach, then you need to start tracing from the generator back for power.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote