What front end and brakes do I have? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
sopicki

Default What front end and brakes do I have?

Hello Newellers, I just got our (new) Newell (the Carole Ann) to Ohio from SanDiego last week. I got very little documentation with the coach so I'm trying to put together a resource manual for what exactly we've got. I'd like to know what type of steering system and brakes are on the coach. It's a 1972 with a Rockwell Standard front axle. The model number of the axle is FD901 HX115. Where do we go when seeking steering and brake parts? Were these front ends standard on any type of chassis? Any parts diagrams would be appreciated! Thank you so much.

sopicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Neweller

The steering may be adjustable depending on what kind of gear box you have. I'm wondering if that year has Saginaw on it? They were usually adjustable. I know that one I had on my '76 and '78 were adjustable and I took out over an inch of play on the '78. Other things could be in the front end or even bad tires and alignment etc...Some items will have to be sourced by crossing over from numbers off the actual components. I believe most of your chassis will be Ford components which should all be available.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
sopicki

Ken, thanks for that info. The front tires are new and it tracks straight (won't know for sure about alignment though until the tires start to wear), I'm guessing that the gear lash in the box is our problem and we'll be checking that soon. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
MrE

I can't remember the brand of steering box on my '73, but it was adjustable and I was able to take all the play out of the steering by adjusting it.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
86loco

We have tightened the Ross steering up on our coach and added a smaller wheel. Worked out well for us. Bob does your little gem have air or all all leaf spring suspension?
Old 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
prairieschooner

Our '82 has Ross, really not sure about yours. Be careful to not tighten the box too much though. There needs to be a little play in our older boxes.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
rellick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopicki View Post
Ken, thanks for that info. The front tires are new and it tracks straight (won't know for sure about alignment though until the tires start to wear), I'm guessing that the gear lash in the box is our problem and we'll be checking that soon. Thanks.
Hi Bob, you can check your toe in easily with a tape measure, with your front wheels off the ground, make a mark on each tire at the front on the tread, measure across from tire to tire, note the measurement, roll the tires 180deg (as close as you can get) to the rear,measure across again, compare the two. The front should be 1/8-1/4 in toe in (shorter) Be sure to check your tie rod play before you do this. Hope this helps!! Love your Coach!! Vintage is cool!!
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
77newell

Bob: you don't need to wait for tire wear to know what's going on. In addition to what Keith suggested in terms of alignment I would suggest reading the summary of my steering work on my 77 coach:http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...solutions.html
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
sopicki

Thanks for the toe techniques and the link to the Steering Solutions! These will be a great help when I get to these items. Wheels will be coming off in July to check brakes and steering components will be checked then as well.