Tech Talk Archives 8 - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
Neweller

A
835 11/19/2002 9:42:39 AM 11/19/2002 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com NEWELL Coach Questions In 1999 we purchased a 1984 Newell 40ft powered by a Detriot 8V92 engine rated at 450 HP. We put over 40,000 miles on it since then and have replaced all six tires, the water heater,the referigerator, and the invertors, repaired all air leveling valves and two of the propane furnaces. You should expect maintenance costs. If the tires are old a new set will be needed. The original water heater may start leaking at any time. No point in spending thousands more than you should. Our 84 was in the middle of the range given by Ken and had a fairly new set of tires. The seller said he had replaced the water heater, I do not believe him at this point. Have fun in your Newell. Don

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #22
Neweller

A
836 11/21/2002 5:11:37 AM 11/24/2002 Craig Leach cnlpal@msn.com 1973 Newell Motor Coac h I agree, you just can't beat the joy of owning a preowned Newell! I own a 1969 30' and it rattles less, drives better than any other coach that I've riden in. The quality just isn't there in the newer coaches being built by other manufactuars. Some day I will probably upgrade to a deisel, but I don't think my wife will let me sell the '69. MMMM, my own Newell fleet.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #23
Neweller

A
837 11/21/2002 5:53:52 PM 11/24/2002 Danny Roccaforte droccaforte@gt.rr.com Gas Furnace I am looking to replace 2 of the gas furnances on my 87 newell. I currently have DUO-THERM model 90120. Does anyone have any suggestions on repalcements

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #24
Neweller

Q
838 11/26/2002 5:00:53 AM 11/27/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Register with Newell If you own a Newell, we suggest you register your membership in the Newells Chapter of FMCA. Membership is complimentary for Newell owners regardless of the age of your coach and where it was purchased. With membership, you will receive our newsletter, Newells' News, and will be notified of upcoming Newell rallies. For a registration form, call Cindy Woods toll free at 1-888-9NEWELL, ext. 204.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #25
Neweller

Q
840 11/27/2002 8:41:44 PM 11/28/2002 John Clark jvclark02@nospam.cs.com Gas Furnace Hi Danny:

Are you pretty good mechanically.? If so, you might consider installing a Webasto heating system. Dick Wright at WRICO in Idaho has all the parts. Your Newell comes with off engine heat in the bedroom and front dash. I removed all three propane heaters and added a heater core under the fridge (with ducting to the bathroom) When I have shore power I use an electric water heater and the factory water pump to circulate the heated water. When dry camped, I use fuel to heat the water and when going down the road the engine keeps the coach warm. By activating a solenoid I can also preheat the engine before starting. This system is similiar to Newell's current system (Aqua Hot), except I use the existing heater hoses rather than dedicated tubing. I control room heat by indivual heater core fans controlled by wall thermostats.

If you ever have to replace an a/c, get a Duo Therm air conditioner with a remote controller. It not only shuts your roof air (fan included) off automatically, but you can control your heaters (propane or diesel heat) with its mode/zone options.
If you prefer to stay with propane, I suggest installing a Surburban gas furnace (Duo Therm no longer makes furnaces). You will have to modify the exterior vent holes, but it is doable. Another option is to cut a hole in the side of your coach and install a Hydroflame furnace. I attended RV Tech school (RVIA) and feel very comfortable with propane installations, pressure checks etc. If you are not familiar with propane heating, I suggest you farm this job out.

Another option is the propane catalytic heater. It is the most efficient device energy wise, but also the most dangerous. You need to use a CO2 detector, keep a window cracked, and turn it off before going to bed and . It also has a tendency to fog over the windows in very cold weather. Some people love 'em and some people hate 'em.
Good luck and enjoy!

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #26
Neweller

A
841 11/28/2002 7:42:18 AM 11/28/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Gas Furnace In the Newell Service Department, when required, we replace the original equipment Duo-Therm LP furnaces with an Attwood Model 8516, Newell part number NC-23425. This change also requires a exterior door assembly, Newell part number NC-23427. We have a lead time for ordering these parts of about a week. The parts cost about $500. We recommend this conversion be done by a qualified technician. The hydronic system John Clark suggests in the previous message is definitely a significant upgrade from propane furnaces. We would recommend the Aqua Hot system, which is a complete "kit" and uses a Webasto boiler, over buying a Webasto boiler and then buying the rest of the system piece by piece. The complete Aqua Hot system is well engineered and the components are well matched. It will provide three zones of heat, and the propriatary Newell version includes a 220 volt electric mode. ("Non-Newell" Aqua Hot systems use only 120 volts on electric mode, and this will do little more than "take the chill off--it is not adequate freeze protection.) But either approach to hydronic heating, Webasto boiler plus buying the rest of the pieces, or the complete Aqua Hot system, is going to carry a pretty hefty cost of materials, and lots of labor. By comparison, converting to the Attwood furnaces is relatively quick, relatively inexpensive, and it will keep you warm.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #27
Neweller

A
846 12/2/2002 8:27:15 AM 12/4/2002 Jeff Horton jhorton@indyracing.com Water compartment thermometer I have a 1991 Newell. We are currently full timing in our coach here in Indianapolis while we finish the remodel on our house. I would like to know where the two temperature sensors are located that are read on the display above the stove. The water bay temp reads ok I just want to know where the sensor is located so I know what part of the bay is staying above freezing. And the outside temp does not work and I need to trouble shoot it. Thank you Jeff Horton

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #28
Neweller

Q
849 12/4/2002 5:58:14 PM 12/7/2002 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net Generator exhaust We have an older Newell 38 1/2' with a Kohler 12.5KW diesel genset installed front-center on slideout rails.
In order to slide it out for service however, one must get underneath and disconnect generator exhaust. It is a pain.
We are searching for a new generator exhaust system and/or some type of exhaust slip joint - or quick disconnect - or ?? - to facilitate quicker/easier service access to genset. The OD of exhaust pipe is approx 1 1/2".
Appreciate any/all suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Rich farr
toptin@cox.net

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #29
Neweller

Q
850 12/5/2002 9:29:10 AM 12/7/2002 Gary Carter gcarter@usinternet.com Engine Preference??? Transmission may make more difference than engine. Even though the 92 series is no longer produced for highway use, it is still in production and probably will be for years to come. Parts and service should be available for longer than I live. In fact with a 400K TBO I hope I live long enought to reach it.

We have the 92 and 4 speed. Would love to have a 6 speed or even better a 10 speed Eaton auto-shifter.

The series 60 will give you slightly better mpg. Much of this is attributed to the transmission. More gears allows better crusing at a lower RPM.

My preference would be 6 speed allison first. 60 Series second, but neither very important overall.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #30
Neweller

A
851 12/5/2002 9:39:28 AM 12/7/2002 Gary Carter gcarter@usinternet.com transmission replacement First problem and I may be wrong, but I thing the 6 speed also requires a DDEC engine as the computers need to talk to each other. If you have a DDEC check out the Eaton auto-shifter.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #31
Neweller

A
853 12/7/2002 4:49:54 PM 12/8/2002 Dean Stoops 67gto@myvine.com Generator exhaust I've been thinking about that issue on my 1978 as well. I have considered two options...One, mount the whole exhaust system unto the engine cradle so the whole thing moves together, Two, I've seen factory installations on Blue Birds that use a "slip joint" that involves a smaller id pipe inside of a larger one...not sure how they seal it though.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #32
Neweller

A
854 12/10/2002 9:03:09 PM 12/14/2002 John Clark jvclark02@nospam.cs.com Generator exhaust Check out a mid 80's or later Newell. They have a pipe within a pipe exhaust solution that works great. My 1987 has the slideout system and it has worked flawlessly. Newell also added a heat activated fire extinguisher system that would be easy to incorporate into your 1978. You might also want to consider splitting your front bunper into three parts like the late model Newell classics have.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #33
Neweller

A
855 12/11/2002 5:43:50 PM 12/14/2002 John Leuenberger jeleuen@attglobal.net Shock Absorbers What shocks does Tech Staff recommend for '82 36' with 6V92TA and 150Kmiles? Currently getting severe bouncing up and down, too much sway, and road shock coming back thru steering wheel. Recently installed Carquest shocks supposedly made by Gabriel and crossed from a Koni number. But the results were worse than the ones previously on coach. Just not up to the job.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #34
Neweller

Q
856 12/11/2002 8:08:25 PM 12/14/2002 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com Gas Furnace I just happened to stop by Dick Wright's place yesterday to inquire about a Webasto heating system and he has a special package price that he has put together for converters. Dick is not in Idaho. The name of his business is Wrico International LLC located in Eugene, OR. Their phone is 541-744-4333. His package price is $3928.04 and includes all the components to build a system including an installation manual. Converting a Newell should be less if you have a good water heater and heat exchanger on the engine. The 220 volt that Newell uses is definitely a plus. It would be interesting to see what the price difference is. Anyway I feel that if possible the hot water heat is the way to go. We dry camp a lot and the biggest problem with our 86 Newell is having a good supply of hot water without running either the engine or the generator

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #35
Neweller

857 12/15/2002 6:45:35 PM 12/16/2002 Robert M. Jackson Bikebob14@aol.com Tag Axel At what length does Newell put their tag axle on? Does a 40 footer use a tag? Thank you.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #36
Neweller

Q
858 12/15/2002 7:15:49 PM 12/16/2002 Robert M. Jackson Bikebob14@aol.com Transmissions 4,5,6 speeds? A friend of mine had a Monaco Signature with a 9 speed transmission. How was that accomplished? With what purpose? Thank you.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #37
Neweller

A
860 12/16/2002 5:24:32 AM 12/16/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Tag Axel Newell has installed tag axles on all coaches manufactured in recent years. The current coach with Series 60 power and other typical components is too heavy for a single rear axle. It would be possible for Newell to build a coach of, say, 35 or 36 feet on two axles rather than three, but significant changes to reduce weight would be required.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #38
Neweller

A
861 12/16/2002 5:51:05 AM 12/16/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Transmissions 4,5,6 speeds? Monaco built a series of Signature models a few years ago equipped with Eaton 9-speed Ceemat Transmissions. These were essentially Eaton Roadranger 9-speed transmissions with an automtaic clutch and shifting system. Newell built one coach on special order with this transmission. Most motorcoach owners did not like the performance and shifting characteristics of the Ceemat, and it did not sell well. We understand that the resale value of Signatures with Ceemat transmissions is lower than similar coaches with the Allison automatic. The Ceemat is no longer produced. However, Eaton builds several versions of their AutoShift transmission which appears to be a successor or updated version of the Ceemat. To our knowledge, it is not offered in any motor home or conversion shell.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #39
Neweller

A
863 12/25/2002 10:57:58 AM 12/25/2002 Doc dmurnahan@earthlink.net Transmissions Retarder We have a Jake brake on our unit which I think is very satisfactory. That is until I drove a unit that has an Allison transmission retarder in lieu of a Jake brake. I loved the retarder. Why is an Allison retarder almost unheard of with most manufactures?? Is it due to un-reliability or a much higher cost?? Thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #40
Neweller

Q
866 12/27/2002 2:33:38 PM 12/28/2002 Steve Saraga s.saraga@att.net Synthetic oil's in the 8V92 I am going to switch to Mobil Delvac 1 from another synthetic oil in my 8V92TA. I have been able to find 5W40 Delvac 1, but the straight weight Delvac, what viscosity is it available in? And/or if I use the multi viscosity, what should I use? I am about to contact a dealer and buy a 30 or 55 Gal drum.

-Bob Marley