Creede diaries - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 AM   #21
chockwald

Wally, we wish you were here, too...you are missed. There is a 1988 coach here that could be the twin of your coach! Forest is going to take pictures of each couple in front of their coach tomorrow, and we'll post them here.

We all just returned from a night at the theater.....20 of us saw "A Wonderful Noise" at the Creede Repetory Theater......we all laughed a lot, and enjoyed the show. While we were in the Theater it rained a good bit. This impromptu rally has been a total surprise for it's relaxed feel, and we are so grateful to be able to get to know everyone so much better. We've all had a chance to spend time with everyone here. This pre-owned Newell group are great people and it seems as if we have known them for years!

Elaine and I did a 20 mile bicycle ride with David and Denise Zonker this afternoon, and were blessed with a nice cloud cover that came in dropping the temperatures!

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #22
fulltiming

Georgia and I are living vicariously through your posts.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #23
folivier

Cindy and I are really enjoying our trip, especially meeting such wonderful people. We came here as "newbies" not knowing anybody and will leave with new friends and quite a bit of knowledge of Newells.
Someone (I don't remember who) suggested that I take pictures of each couple in front of their Newell, so I'll be roaming around later this morning to do this.
The word of the day is adiabatic.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
chockwald

On the way to Creede (the first day) when I stopped in Kingman, AZ to fuel up I noticed something dripping from my condenser (the dash a/c condenser), and thought initially it was just condensation, but as I lingered there and focused in on the puddle I realized is was refrigerant (slight green tint....the die?). Oh no.....the heat of the day is yet to come and no dash a/c.....ugh!! Of course, when I started her up again I was just getting warm air....not cool, or cold. So, off went everything, and on went the genset and the roof a/c for the rest of the day.

I, of course, shared my mishap with Tom and Richard after I first arrived. Richard immediately crawled under the front the coach and I hear "Uhuh, UHUH".....he, of course, found the leak immediately...the hose coming into the dryer had leaked around the clamp. So, to make a longish story a little shorter, we got 4 new clamps (smaller in diameter) and double clamped each hose (in and out) and then added some refrigerant...pretty soon the vent temp came down to 40 degrees (outdoor temps around 60 at the time. As many of you will guess, Richard carries a couple of 25 lb bottles of R134 with him, as well as gauges, electronic sniffer, and soapy water to check for leaks. After double clamping the hoses no leakes...even checked the vents inside. I'll stop in South Fork on the way out tomorrow and pick up a couple of cans of a/c oil, and add them as a precaution per Richard's instructions. In addition I'll cut off about 12" of the hose running into the dryer (it looks old with some surface cracks) and splice in a newer section.

I guess we are all going to be continuously battling our dash a/c issues, and once again the Newell gang has saved the day for me. Elaine and I thank you, Richard, as you have made our drive homethrough the Mojave Desert less ominous now that we have dash a/c again.....I owe you one! We still have to turn on the roof a/c when it gets to 110, but we won't see those temps again until well after Williams, AZ. Our plan is to get to Flagstaff late afternoon on Saturday, get a bite to eat, and hit the sack early and then make a dash for Southern California at midnight when it's a little cooler.

This has been an amazing trip.....after the April trip to Austin we told each other that was the best trip ever, and it has already been eclipsed by this one, even though it is shorter in distance and duration. I think part of the reason is after Austin we had existing friendships to start the process, and have been able to get to know everyone so much better, and in addition, have made new friends. We've all been talking about the next rally, and when it will be....looks like Tiger Run (Breckenridge, CO) next September right after Labor Day (2010), but we'll have to get together again sooner than that. Any suggestions????
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
prairieschooner

how about Wyoming?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
folivier

Here's proof that these gatherings are a lot of fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CnC_0007s.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	299  
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 08-07-2009, 04:18 AM   #27
zcasa

Yep, a lot of fun is right. We are tucked in safely back in Denver now. Uneventful trip home but already yearn for the fun and fellowship that we have enjoyed in Creede. Not enough time to get to know everyone but certainly enough time to build great memories and continued enjoyment with the Coach and the people that share this passion. There is no way that we should wait til September of 2010. We'll just have to keep on posting and hoping that we can get together sooner than later. Creede was very fun and the next one will be too. Fellowship, good food and cheer, and excellent weather helped very much. It isn't the location, the activities that we will remember most, it is the fun and fellowship that will be the lasting impact. 23 wonderful people having fun and to a person, a very giving bunch of folks. Our thanks to each of you for making the effort to be in Creede and to have a ton of fun. Missy is really cool too.

Our best to all and safe travels. Life is good.

David and Denise
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:40 AM   #28
encantotom

Darlene and I and Missy had a great time. the time goes by so fast and i am grateful for the new and old friends that we gathered with.

it is strange that a coach and our passion for it would bring so many fine people together to become friends.

thanks to all who were in creede with us and for being so kind and gracious to darlene and i.

i hope some of you make it to the mesa,az area in the future, you always have a place to stay with us if you have your coach or not.

tomorrow clarke & Elaine and us are traveling together to stay at our cabin in northern arizona for a day. so at least two more days of fun with them.

can hardly wait for wolf creek pass tomorrow.....not.

tom and darlene.....and missy

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
tuga

Tom,

A few years ago we drove from Walensburg, CO to Durango on Hwy 160. Did we cross Wolf Creek Pass? I looked on Streets & Trips but it doesn't show the name of the pass.

We stayed at Wolf Creek RV Resort in Pagosa Springs on the way to Durango; really nice!
It was just opening; I think we were the second guest. The owner's name was Johnny Brown, and he was a very nice guy. We stayed there a couple of days. The park is small but really first class.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #30
folivier

Halfway home! We're spending the night at "Ole Cotton Gin RV Park" in Goodlett, Tx.
Not much but ok for a quick rest.
Thought the coach was giving me problems today when the engine temp rose to 192 outside Amarillo and stayed between 187 & 192. Found out why when we stopped at the RV park. 110 F outside, that's hot!
We'll probably leave before daybreak tomorrow and may get home late Sat.
Again- Cindy and I really enjoyed making new friends and can't wait until the next get together.
Hope everyone has a safe trip home or wherever!
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 08-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #31
Richard and Rhonda

Rhonda and I made it to about 50 miles south of Amarillo before my backside gave out. It'll be an easy hop home tomorrow.

I hope all of you had an easy travel day today.

Hope to see you soon.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 AM   #32
fulltiming

In hot weather, engine temperatures of 187-192 are not unusual.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 08-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #33
chockwald

The dreaded Wolf Creek Pass is really a ***** cat from east to west. The approach is around 18 miles and only 2500' elevation gain. The drive down 149 from Creede was really cool...there was fog until we crossed the Rio Grande for the second time about 10 miles down. At that point we got below it, and cruised into South Fork, made the turn west, and headed for the "Pass". After we merged on to 550 to head for Farmington we had some construction, and then the wind......got it first on 64, and then very strong on 491 all the way to Gallup, NM. We took about an hour break in Gallup for lunch, and a short nap (I do need my beauty rest....). I-40 was no different than 491....just a different direction for the wind.

We did stop in Winslow, AZ to take a picture at the corner made famous by the Eagles ("I'm standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona"....you know the rest) to take pictures. Then Darlene got in the driver's seat and led us to their cabin in Happy Jack, AZ at about 7,000' elevation.....nice and cool here as I write. According to Tom we did 465 miles today....certainly not in Wally's class, but a lot for me.

Got a call this afternoon from Steve Ward...they made it to Monument Valley, and had no problem with the pass just before Lake City.

Getting ready to take a shower in the Newell, and then hit the sack....just waiting for the water heater to come up to temp.

We had a blast at Creede, and value the new friendships started, and the blossoming of existing friendships. Was wishing for another bowl of Connie's gumbo at lunch time.

Be safe out there......we will see ya'll soon!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0241.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	300   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0239.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	301  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 08-08-2009, 03:59 AM   #34
encantotom

hey clarke, you could have come inside and showered!

we had a great drive today with clarke and elaine. we are back in the mountains where it is cool and trying to gear up to go to the heat.

we had a ball and it was fun as usual to drive with clarke and elaine.

we will have fun tomorrow and then both of us head towards home sat nite.

safe travels to the rest of you.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #35
folivier

Thanks Michael, sorry we didn't get to meet you. Hopefully next time.
I feel better about the temps now. We're leaving about 6 which should put us through Dallas early and home late today.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 08-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #36
fulltiming

The dash gauge on my 8V92 is not very accurate. I rely on my VMSpc which takes its readings directly from the DDEC. I really don't pay any attention to temps below 195 during hot weather at speeds above 65 or in the mountains. 200 is where I start paying close attention and at 203-205 I am slowing down and downshifting to get the temp back down. I know that leaves me some headroom as the DDEC will allow the engine to run until it gets to about 213-215 before it shuts the engine down (note for those with mechanical engines, that shutdown protection does not exist).

The last thing I want to do is spend $25k on a Reliabuilt engine (Detroit's remanufacturered engine).
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #37
Richard and Rhonda

Entrekins are home safe and sound.

The wind made it two tough days of driving. It was a crosswind for us both days.

And oh yeah, it's still hot. Dash gauge, VMSPc, sweat on my brow all agree, it's HOT.

Tom, I have your Gordo rug. We'll ship shortly.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #38
fulltiming

Glad to hear that folks are starting to safely return home.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #39
Ron and Susan

Default Ron and Susan at Creede

We are still at Creede and will leave monday. It has been clear
and somwhat breezy. We think we will
go north through Denver and Montana on the way home.

My manual for my 1988 newell (first half 1988-no DDEC) states that a red high temp light will come
on at approximately 210 degrees.
(water temperature wire is Blue with 1 Black)

If engine coolant reaches approximately 215 degrees an automatic engine shutdown will activate.

If it is necessary to move the coach a short distance
to safely park, the automatic shutdown can be temporarily
deactivated by the use of the switch labeled "override" on the
dash. (This switch is covered by a red safety cover and is located
directly above the steering column).

This switch can also be used to run the engine while parked to
allow the engine to cool evenly unless the overheat was caused
by low coolant.

A low coolant light on the dash signals low coolant
level, a condition requiring prompt correction. In this case, the
engine should not be restarted until it has first allowed to cool and
the the cooling system has been repaired and refilled.

I dont know how accurate this temperature setting are but I suspect
that they may be done with preset thermostats.

I traced the wiring from the override switch (grey with 1 blue) to a 24016 relay (same size as the battery merge relay)
in the rear compartment
and found the the relay was connected between 12 volts and
what appears to be a fixed thermostat with normally closed contacts,
mounted near where a hose with a shutoff valve exits the engine, the thermostat is made by MSON and is
marked 220.
The override relay apparently shorts across the normally closed thermostat contacts
that must open at 220 degrees to stop the engine. It seems
strange that Newell used such a large relay (75 amps) but only has
#18awg wire connect to it. Must have been done to keep all the
relays alike as much as possible. I have not found the thermostat
that turns on the High temp light on the dash.

I dont have any electrical schematics, even a typical schematic
might be helpful if it exists.
1988 Newell 40 ft tag axle #179
No DDEC 8V92 545 HP (100 Injectors) HT740
2005 Jeep Liberty Toad

PHOTO ALBUM: https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=33
Ron and Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #40
fulltiming

Thanks Ron. Good to know that Newell incorporated warning and shut-down switches in the pre-DDEC 8V92's. There appears to be some discrepancy between the manual stating shut-down at 215 and a likely 220 degree thermostat but it certainly adds a degree of comfort knowing that the engine may still shut down before self-destruct. I am impressed by the detailed analysis you present.

Sudden coolant loss, particularly under high loads has resulted in the destruction of a number of 8V92's.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740