dash heat/air - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
2dogs

Default dash heat/air

hello fellow newellites, we have a 87/40'/8v92 ,problem,no front (drivers) heat/air - no fan/no compressor have checked fuse at passenger seat is there a relay? heater came on twice at about 90 deg! (ambient) must have been a bump? any ideas? drive south -then north??? ops:

87 Newell Tag 40'-8v92TA-HT740 #139
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
fulltiming

Not sure about an '87 but the early '90's models had a Front Terminal Board on the fire wall in front of the co-pilot's seat behind a removable panel. On mine, connection 33 is Automotive Heat Pump and 35 is Automotive Air. Might start there.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
fulltiming

2dogs, did you ever track down your short. It is possible that a connector at the rear of the heater/AC control has come loose and hitting a bump causes it to temporarily short back to the connector. Bad ground wires are notorious for giving problems with intermittent connections.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
2dogs

Michael, Thanks for asking i have checked the fuses, all good and i still don't have power to the switches my next plan is to try to trace back and see if there is a relay or maybe in the ignition switch? lots of orange wires! Thanks again any imput is appreciated. Brian
Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
fulltiming

Not sure about a relay but I do know that this circuit is switched off of the ignition. When the ignition is turned on, it is active, when the ignition is turned off, power will no long feed the heater control. In a Newell there are not a lot of coach functions that are feed off the ignition switch. On mine, the dash heat/air blowers, docking lights and the step function are about the only coach, as opposed to chassis, changes I notice as I turn the ignition from off to on.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
2dogs

Fulltiming, I think i may have stumbled closer to the problem but i dont know how to post a picture ! if you or someone else could help ? that would be greatly appreciated thanks, Brian
Old 02-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
fulltiming

2dogs, if you have some webspace available, load you photo onto the internet, then open a post, click on Img above the Post a reply box the type in the internet address of the photo then click on the Img box again.

If you don't have an webspace, PM me and you can send me the photo and I will host it on one of my sites and give you the address or post it for you as you wish.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
2dogs

well i found the problem, on the panel on the passenger side there is a solenoid on the left hand side it was clicking when i turned the key but no power. got a new one (continuous duty) so that's the heater ignition, turns on the fan and recirc pump, but i still didn't have a/c found out that the lower relay at the same location was bad changed it out and now it works but needs to be charged anyone know what refrigerant was used in 87?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
fulltiming

Good old Freon (R-12). Some units were converted buy there should be a sticker near the compressor if they have changed it over to the 'cheaper' stuff.

Although it is expensive and hard to find, a recharge with Freon is probably your best bet. I had a pinhole leak in the refrigerant line of one of my basement airs and Newell soldered the leaking area, pulled a vacuum on the system and recharged it with Freon.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 05-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Richard and Rhonda

2dogs,

I am going to guess the original refigerant in 87 was r-12. You probably know that R-12 is no longer manufactured and it is very expensive today.

Most automotive systems can be converted to r-134a. At a minimum it requires the change of oil in the compressor, and a change of the expansion valve.

There are some substitutes for R-12 that do not require the oil and expansion valve change. I suggest you google r-12 substitutes and get some background info.

If you system has been converted to 134a by a previous owner, it will be evident. First, a tag should have been installed on the compressor, but also the 134 quick disconnect fittings should have been installed. Go look at the compressor. If it has screw on fittings then it probably has not been converted. If it has push on fittings of two different sizes then it has been converted and you are in luck.

All of this applies to your dash A/C. The house A/C is a whole nother can of worms and refrigerants.

Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote