Drained my crap can today - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
folivier

Default Drained my crap can today

Started out early to remove the rock screen, only it wouldn't come out! The drain plug on the crap can was jammed against the screen and the trailer hitch. Well I'm a can-do kinda guy, so about an hour later (and a 1/2 pint less blood) I had the screen out. Only now I couldn't remove the plug because of the hitch! I tried removing the front bolts on the hitch but couldn't loosen the rear bolts. I ended up taking off the bolts holding the can to the oil pan and was just barely able to remove the plug. About a pint of black thick oil came out, no water, no anti-freeze (whew). I did grind the brass plug down some to be able to install it (by the hardest). But I can't see how the previous owner ever had the can drained. But if it only had a pint after 16 years, it shouldn't be a problem. Tomorrow I plan to extend the slobber tubes to past the radiator.
The right (passenger) side of the engine was pretty clean, but the left side looked like it has been leaking oil since '93 and never cleaned. I started cleaning it with Simple Green but looks like it may take a stronger degreaser. Hopefully I can get it clean enough to tell where it is leaking from and get that stopped..
Now to find the advil and wine bottle!

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
chockwald

Congrats Forest......nothing is ever as easy as it should be.....at least there is nothing in the can to worry about! When you applied the Simple Green did you let it sit for 5 minutes before spraying it off? I found I had to apply it 2, or 3 times to get it really clean. Also, what ratio of Simple Green to water are you using, or are you using the concentrate without water?

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
folivier

I'm using it full strength and waiting about 20-30 minutes before spraying it off, so far I've sprayed it twice.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
tuga

Forest,

Just a suggestion: get a spray can of brake cleaner. It really does a good job of cleaning grease. I have seen mechanics do this in truck stops.

Also, if you have any oil that has found its way onto your air bags seriously consider changing those air bags. Oil can ruin a rubber air bag quickly. And believe me, it will burst at the most inopportune time; like in the middle of downtown Dallas at 5 PM!

As Tom would say, just my .02
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Hi Forest
I would recommend that you have the engine AND radiator steam cleaned. These rear engine rear radiator mounts tend to build up a lot of oily debris in the radiator. Brake cleaner (especially those containing Tetrachloroethylene) are very effective.
Also if you happen to walk inside on the carpet with oily shoes you will be amazed at how well brake cleaner will clean that mess....Spray it on-wipe it off. (Voice of experience here B-) )
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Richard and Rhonda

Tetra was the old dry cleaning fluid. Long out of use becuase of it's carcinogenic properties. Not meaning to be a goody goody, but be careful with that stuff.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
prestadude

My dad sold industrial degreasers and we always had a 5 gallon can of trichloroethylene in the garage for cleaning parts. It is a fantastic cleaning solvent. I remember putting greasy bike parts into a pie tin full of TCE and you could literally see the grease jump off the parts. When I was done, I would use the dirty TCE to kill weeds in cracks on the driveway (so much for environmental stewardship although this was 40 years ago). I am probably a walking cancer timebomb now but boy did I have a clean bike!
prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
prairieschooner

hey now... the owner of Simple Green is one of my Customers. Everyone should use his product so that I get paid when working for Bruce.
and yes his toys are green or with green trim.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
folivier

Well I finished up my latest project today. Got the pre-heater working. I had a feeling (hoped) it was the thermostat. Problem is the second screw holding the cover was against the frame with an inch clearance. Went to Lowe's and got an offset ratcheting screwdriver. Yeah this'll work, well someone had obviously tried that before and stripped the head of the screw! Not to be defeated by this latest setback I decided to just bypass it. Plugged it back in and it works! Pulling 10 amps and warming up. Also extended the slobber tubes to behind the radiator with some pvc pipe and elbows. Hopefully this will keep some of the grime off the radiator.

Hey Steve, think Bruce would give us a discount for Simple Green?

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE