Allison Transmission Leak - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
RussWhite

Default Allison Transmission Leak

1999 Model Newell with Allison HD4060 transmission.

I noticed fluid on the ground at the end of my 1000 trip from Florida back to Tennessee. I observed fluid dripping from the drive shaft end of the transmission. I was at my final destination so have not needed to travel since.
I will perform a COLD LEVEL check and be sure I have sufficient fluid before moving, even to go to a repair facility. I am within 50 miles of an authorized Allison dealer in Knoxville Tennessee.

I am posting in the hopes that some other member may have experienced a similar situation and might comment on what may be ahead for me.

There was never any warning light or unusual transmission operation. If I had not seen the leak, I would never have know anything was not normal.

Thanks,

Russ

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Neweller

Russ, it sounds like to me from what your saying, that you may have a shaft seal bad. If it is the problem, it's not major, but can be problematic if not attended to. Keep your fluid level up and get your coach into Allison.

I have always done my own repairs in this area and it is only the cost of a seal. Even with Allison doing the repairs, it shouldn't be too costly.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
RussWhite

Ken,

Thanks - I think you must be correct. I have passed the cold fluid level test and there is sufficient fluid left in the transmission for the short drive to the shop. I am presently not really setup with jackstands or a way to safely work under the coach, not to mention I have never done or watched a shaft seal replaed on an Allison. So for this time, it goes to the shop. I have attached a picture showing a drop of fulid on the bottom of what looks like a fly wheel. Although there was a puddle on the ground I don't think much leaked out while traveling or the body of the transmission would be wet and dirty. I will be talking with the Allison folks very soon and hoping it is not a difficult repair. thanks, Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AllisonLeak (Large).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1030  
Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
prairieschooner

Not trying to talk you into anything. I carry some leveling blocks made of 2X4s and I simply raise the coach and then insert these blocks under the the coach in an area that it well reinforced. Then I let the coach down on the blocks, take another look and maybe even hit them before I go under it.
I think that Ken is right this may be a very simple repair whether you chose to do it yourself or have it done (hopefully!)
PS this seal should even be available at a local Bearing Supply House.
good luck
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Summersgal

Russ,

We had a similar issue with our 96 and just had our seal replaced. For a starter you have to have a 3" socket, which we didn't have. We took ours the Big Cabin Diesel which is only maybe 30 miles from Newell factory. The cost was $300 and was done in just a matter of hours. The guys there do excellent work!

Pam
Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Jimg

Russ,

While you have the driveline out changing the seal, be sure and check the u-joints, and the rear-end pinion for looseness. If one of these are loose it can damaged the seal.

Jim
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
RussWhite

Jim,

That's the kind of advice I need! Thanks and I will ask that they be checked.

Russ