What kind of dog do you think we should get? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Randy J

Default What kind of dog do you think we should get?

Leeann would love to have a little four legged baby. In the past we've had a couple dachshunds that stole our hearts. But that was a few years back. The loss of a pet sure hurts and I promised myself I wouldn't allow it to happen again. But Leeann wants another. Before we get serious about it I wanted to know what others thoughts were? Do you have a dog that travels with you in your coach? We are full-timers now and I know a smaller dog is probably best because a large dog wouldn't have a yard to run around in. What did you consider when you were going to add a little fur ball to tag along? I admit I won't mind a little guy sleeping by my feet. I have been known to get quite attached. Leeann wins this time but I'm not budging on the scooter!

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
The Newell

Hi Randy,

I have to say this is a tough one! You will get a ton of different opinions heck I would recommend a Jack Russell but then again we own one lol. If you know dachshunds you could always get another if not try a new breed. I have heard a lot of people are leaning towards Australian Cattle Dogs and I don't know enough about that breed to give you any insight on them. I am sure others will post answers so stay tuned for more replies.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
lbrachfe

Anything small and agile
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Neweller

LOL! When it comes to the fuzzy fury rascals, there are always lots of RVers or Newel folk that travel with them. I even knew of a guy who traveled with his chicken.

Joe, that's cool you have a Jack. We have two ourselves, one that is 8 yrs old and a little girl about 10 mos. Now we supposed to be done with the 8 yr old and now look...

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
express1

Any one (or two) you can SAVE!
many great dogs at any shelter...
They will love you forever!
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
fulltiming

We don't have any experience with small dogs. We traveled for 9 years living in our RV with Patrick, our 150 pound Irish Wolfhound. We lost Patrick to bone cancer in 2009 and I thought I was going to die with him. Took us 3 years to get to the point where we got another dog. We now have another Irish Wolfhound puppy that is 6 month old now and weighs 102 pounds. So far he has traveled from Texas to California and back with us in our Newell on a 7+ week trip.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
ABnormal

Default What to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J View Post
Leeann would love to have a little four legged baby. In the past we've had a couple dachshunds that stole our hearts. But that was a few years back. The loss of a pet sure hurts and I promised myself I wouldn't allow it to happen again. But Leeann wants another. Before we get serious about it I wanted to know what others thoughts were? Do you have a dog that travels with you in your coach? We are full-timers now and I know a smaller dog is probably best because a large dog wouldn't have a yard to run around in. What did you consider when you were going to add a little fur ball to tag along? I admit I won't mind a little guy sleeping by my feet. I have been known to get quite attached. Leeann wins this time but I'm not budging on the scooter!
Randy - I have had Great Danes for 45 years now and they are the greatest dogs you could ever own. Problem is I can no longer keep up with them in the show ring. I wouldn't give up dog shows so I down sized to Smooth Fox Terriers. They are much more fun to be around. If a Smooth has a down day, you better get to a vet. Something is wrong.

Long story short, I have a 4 year old Champion that I need to place. No charge. He can no longer win and I have no room for pets. He is the picture of health, goes non-stop and you can pick him up anytime you are headed thru the Kansas City area. He is gorgeous and I would be happy to send a couple of pics if you are interested. He would not hurt a fly, but is rather intolerant of other males. He has not been neutered. Plays with the other dogs great. Kind of like a big baby huey. Let me know if you are interested. Larry P. 913-940-1211. I will throw in a FREE bag of dog food. But WAIT, if you call in the next ten minutes I will also provide a FREE collar and leather lead. OK. OK. I will also throw in a FREE dog toy.
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #8
Randy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newell View Post
Hi Randy,

I have to say this is a tough one! You will get a ton of different opinions heck I would recommend a Jack Russell but then again we own one lol. If you know dachshunds you could always get another if not try a new breed. I have heard a lot of people are leaning towards Australian Cattle Dogs and I don't know enough about that breed to give you any insight on them. I am sure others will post answers so stay tuned for more replies.
Joseph my sister had a Jack Russell Parsons not sure if they are the same breed? and he was a good pup. We have thought about a dachshund again but I think we'll give another breed a try. I'll look into the Australian Cattle dogs too. Thanks.

1991 Newell Coach

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
Randy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrachfe View Post
Anything small and agile
Larry that's what Leeann is thinking!

1991 Newell Coach

Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Randy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncadmin View Post
LOL! When it comes to the fuzzy fury rascals, there are always lots of RVers or Newel folk that travel with them. I even knew of a guy who traveled with his chicken.

Joe, that's cool you have a Jack. We have two ourselves, one that is 8 yrs old and a little girl about 10 mos. Now we supposed to be done with the 8 yr old and now look...

Ken
A chicken? was it just a pet or did he have it for eggs to?

1991 Newell Coach

Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
Randy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by express1 View Post
Any one (or two) you can SAVE!
many great dogs at any shelter...
They will love you forever!
I know quite a few who have gotten some great dogs from shelters. We think that's a great idea to.

1991 Newell Coach

Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #12
Randy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltiming View Post
We don't have any experience with small dogs. We traveled for 9 years living in our RV with Patrick, our 150 pound Irish Wolfhound. We lost Patrick to bone cancer in 2009 and I thought I was going to die with him. Took us 3 years to get to the point where we got another dog. We now have another Irish Wolfhound puppy that is 6 month old now and weighs 102 pounds. So far he has traveled from Texas to California and back with us in our Newell on a 7+ week trip.
Wow now that's some serious rving! I'm sorry to hear about your loss. RIP Patrick. It's hard loosing a dog you've had for so many years. They truly are apart of the family. It hurt us real bad when we lost Ginger our doxie. She was a lover and we spoiled her rotten. Congratulations on the new irish wolfhound puppy. I think Leeann was wanting a smaller lap dog but maybe we should look into the idea of a larger dog. What's your new pups name?

1991 Newell Coach

Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
Randy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABnormal View Post
Randy - I have had Great Danes for 45 years now and they are the greatest dogs you could ever own. Problem is I can no longer keep up with them in the show ring. I wouldn't give up dog shows so I down sized to Smooth Fox Terriers. They are much more fun to be around. If a Smooth has a down day, you better get to a vet. Something is wrong.

Long story short, I have a 4 year old Champion that I need to place. No charge. He can no longer win and I have no room for pets. He is the picture of health, goes non-stop and you can pick him up anytime you are headed thru the Kansas City area. He is gorgeous and I would be happy to send a couple of pics if you are interested. He would not hurt a fly, but is rather intolerant of other males. He has not been neutered. Plays with the other dogs great. Kind of like a big baby huey. Let me know if you are interested. Larry P. 913-940-1211. I will throw in a FREE bag of dog food. But WAIT, if you call in the next ten minutes I will also provide a FREE collar and leather lead. OK. OK. I will also throw in a FREE dog toy.
Hey Larry thanks for sharing. Did you travel with the Great Dane in your Newell to? The smooth fox terriers are a good looking dog and from the sounds of it I'm sure he's a really good dog. Champion and everything. I sure apperciate the offer but I'm not sure when will be in the Kansas City area? If we make plans to come through and you still have him maybe we can make plans to come by and see what he's about. We are thinking about heading to vegas for the winter. No set in stone plans yet. But I know Leeann wants a pup sometime...sooner than later. Maybe someone else here might want to adopt him?

1991 Newell Coach

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
fulltiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J View Post
Wow now that's some serious rving! I'm sorry to hear about your loss. RIP Patrick. It's hard loosing a dog you've had for so many years. They truly are apart of the family. It hurt us real bad when we lost Ginger our doxie. She was a lover and we spoiled her rotten. Congratulations on the new irish wolfhound puppy. I think Leeann was wanting a smaller lap dog but maybe we should look into the idea of a larger dog. What's your new pups name?
Our new pup is named Quinn. Until the Wolfhounds, our dogs spent most of the time outside. The Wolfies want to be with you and don't like being by themselves all day. Each wolfie has their own website. Patrick-Irish-Wolfhound.com and Quinn-Irish-Wolfhound.com. As pups they are energetic but grow up to be coach potatoes. Quinn is getting better by the day.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #15
Randy J

They have a website? Well ain't that cute. I wouldn't say they have it rough at all. Loved much I'd say. They sound like a nice breed.

1991 Newell Coach

Old 08-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
prairieschooner

When we were living on our boat and Patti wanted a 4 legged baby we had to think long and hard.
1st decide on the size- the bigger the dog, the larger the poop! Larger dogs need more food and water, just more to carry.
2nd- We chose dogs that do not shed. This to me has been a great decision-no dog hair everywhere.
3rd- We wanted a dog that could swim for obvious reasons.
4th- The dog had to be able to put up with snow.

We chose a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Doubloon. We then rescued a second, Bonnie. After Doubloon passed we rescued Tucker. 1 of this breed is allot and 2 is a challenge! They are full of energy and require allot of exercise and are not small. Here they are at Yosemite.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	2688

Another thing to think about is that most of the breeds have Rescue Groups. We rescued Tucker through the Southern California Wheaten Terrier Rescue. We met a lady with a rescued Yorkie while we were at Yosemite and she (the Yorkie) was beautiful!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:08 AM   #17
Randy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
When we were living on our boat and Patti wanted a 4 legged baby we had to think long and hard.
1st decide on the size- the bigger the dog, the larger the poop! Larger dogs need more food and water, just more to carry.
2nd- We chose dogs that do not shed. This to me has been a great decision-no dog hair everywhere.
3rd- We wanted a dog that could swim for obvious reasons.
4th- The dog had to be able to put up with snow.

We chose a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, Doubloon. We then rescued a second, Bonnie. After Doubloon passed we rescued Tucker. 1 of this breed is allot and 2 is a challenge! They are full of energy and require allot of exercise and are not small. Here they are at Yosemite.
Attachment 2688

Another thing to think about is that most of the breeds have Rescue Groups. We rescued Tucker through the Southern California Wheaten Terrier Rescue. We met a lady with a rescued Yorkie while we were at Yosemite and she (the Yorkie) was beautiful!
Steve and Tricia,

Thanks for the thoughts. We have some things to think about. Cute babies you have. It's me that's pressuring Randy for a pup. We haven't got one yet. But my heart wants a little baby to cuddle and care for. Bigger the pup bigger the poop. Ain't that the truth!

Leeann

1991 Newell Coach