subwoofer - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
encantotom

Default subwoofer

last year i put in a new car audio system in the front and the back. a good clarion system with Focal speakers. the bass is good but not quite enough.

my onkyo home theatre system sub is way too big to put in the coach so i have been trying to figure out where and what to do for a sub. i am also putting in new speakers as the ones i put in last year are not good enough for me. i bought new cambridge soundworks satellite speakers to mount vs the hidden ones in the valences i was trying.

so, i wanted a sub i could use for both home theatre and the car stereo.

to get the bass i want i will need a powered sub. so, i settled on a 12v powered system that will work for both systems up front. i ordered online a blaupunkt thb200a. small yet very powerful. it will be mounted under and behind the drivers seat. the sub turns itself on when detecting an input signal. it has both line level and speaker input so i used the speaker input for the home theatre and the line level for the car stereo.

since only one at a time will be on, having both hooked up at the same time is no problem.

it had a bad hum using the line level inputs and not the onkyo reciever so i got a ground loop isolator and it totally stopped it.

the bass is quite amazing for a small unit and has more power than i need. sounds really really good.

will put the satellites in over the next week as well.

will have to take the valences down which is a bit of work, but not too bad.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Show 488

Should sound excellent! The last time I went thru this, (Different Coach) I installed a Bose Acoustimass 10 system powered with a Yamaha Surround Sound A/V Amp, the project turned out great! The Sub was a tad large though, about the size of a mini-tower case and I never liked the Bose style Mounts. Where are you going to mount the Cambridge satellites? I’m reviewing a Crutchfield Catalog today, generating ideas to do a complete A/V upgrade on this coach.
Duanne

Show 488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #3
encantotom

i have found crutchfield to have helpful reps, but are fairly premium priced.

but they have a great assortment of things to pick from. i bought my tv from amazon as they were the cheapest by far.

the problem with the bose is that they require you to run the satellites from the sub and i didnt want that many wires running around. i also didnt want a 110v powered sub as i run my home theatre off the inverter at times and the sub would take too much power and in addition didnt have an inverter run outlet anywhere near. and it was wayyy too big.

so the powered 12v sub is awesome and works for both the car stereo and onkyo.

i am going to mount the satellites under the valences. i had previously run all new speaker wire to each location when i was doing my remodel.

it should be fun. i am still trying to figure out how to improve on my video server. currently i use an apple tv. it is awkward to get movies on and generates alot of heat. it uses an intel p4 and is essentailly a mini mac computer.

the sub is also auto on and off. detects an incoming signal and when there is none powers off after 60 seconds. a nice feature.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote