Be careful with fuel - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
Mikeh

Default Be careful with fuel

Just got back from my first long trip in my new Newell. We went to the Tampa RV Super show. Newell was well represented with a beautiful show coach. We stopped at several fuel stops that did not have ultra low sulphur diesel fuel that is required for our coach. Could only find it at the big truck stops. Always read the labels on the pumps before pumping.
Mikeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
The Newell

Hi MikeH,

What year is your Newell?

SUMMARY OF ULSD FUEL STANDARDS:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations intended to improve our air quality went into effect June 1, 2006. They require a major reduction in the sulfur content of diesel fuels and emission levels from diesel engines and vehicles. To meet the EPA standards manufacturers have developed new, highly advanced emission control systems and the petroleum industry is producing ULSD fuel, a cleaner-burning diesel fuel containing a maximum of 15 parts-per-million (ppm) sulfur.

Beginning with the 2007 models, diesel engines and exhausts will be equipped with advanced emissions control systems. While they will be extremely effective in reducing emissions, they are susceptible to damage from higher concentrations of sulfur. Because of this, diesel vehicles produced in 2007 or later must use ULSD only. Owners of 2006 and earlier diesel vehicles may use either ULSD or LSD fuel where it is available.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Richard and Rhonda

New enough to require USLD

Mike took delivery last year of a new coach !!! We're all jealous, but then again he doesn't get any greasy busted knuckles to go with his baby like we do. Oh well, there's tradeoffs with every thing :shock:
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
encantotom

i would love to have a new coach, but think that i would miss the learning experience of doing all the stuff i am. i am glad we can all live vicariously through each others experiences, whether it be in a new newell or a 1978 newell. it is all fun. btw, i have boo boo's all over my hands as my grand daughter says, from working on my newell...

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Mikeh

I have enjoyed reading your posts and have benefited from them also. A wealth of information. I just wanted to inform everybody that ULSD is not available everywhere. I asked one of the ladies at one fuel stop if they had ULSD and she said I was too old to be taking that stuff.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
encantotom

hey, we are all just envious of a new coach. i am way too cheap to buy one, so i am glad that people do so that i can buy yours or theirs in ten years or so when i retire.....thanks for your comments. i have a diesel pickup that i have followed the ulsd debate on alot. whether to add lubricant or not....btw, i also have tv's and high end A/V in my truck. like i put in my coach.

enjoy your newell! again,thanks for the comments and keep em up!

if you are ever in mesa, az, stop by and visit!

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Mikeh

My brothers have bunch of large trucks and several pickups that are not current models. Their only concern using ULSD was fuel pump seals and gaskets. After 18 months of constant use they have not had any problems. Not trying to advise you about adding oil. Just saying they have had no problems. Maybe you won't either. Thanks, Mike Haddox