More plumbing problems how to close curbside drain - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Bob & Peggy Standeford

Default More plumbing problems how to close curbside drain

My curbside drain has air valve, but can't find switch to turn it off and on. It's stuck open so I can't take the cover off with out it running out. The driver side won't drain. I put stuff in the tank to clean it out and it must have clogged it on that side. any ideas. thanks
Bob and Peggy,

Bob & Peggy Standeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Ron Skeen

Bob, My curbside drain switch is located on the Driver dash. The inition key has to be turn on for the switch to work. I have a 96 newell

1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
lbrachfe

Sounds like the rubber paddle covers inside have disintergreted. Drain .unsscrew top and pull assembly out..Replacement parts from Dupree or Newell. I have had the same situation and replaced the paddles on both and gut the hard plumbe PVe and inserted rubber boots for easy cleanout and unclogging.

Larry Brachfeld
2003 #646
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
prestadude

Like Larry B., I redid the entire watewater plumbing. On mine, the air valve was working but the second, manual valve would not move more than an inch. I ultimately had someone come in with special cleaning equipment, drilled a hole in the ABS elbow for access, and forced the manual valve partially open (I have some pictures on this operation under another post regarding a clogged wastewater tank). After the tank was clean, I cut out the old plumbing and found that the rubber seal on the manual valve (Dupree brand) had been installed backwards so the buildup of head in the waste tank displaced the rubber seal causing the valve to jam.
prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Bob & Peggy Standeford

OK I now know how to turn the switch on and off for the curbside air drain. I read the book and it told me of a switch on the dash and low an behold it worked after I turned the key on to ACC. It stll wouldn't stop the flow when I removed the cap. By not I went back to the otherside it had started to leak out a little water. So I hooked it back and it finally drained, I was able to flush it out. Now I was able to remove the curbside valve. All I had was a big black circle on the end of the plunger. I didn't think this would stop the flow of anything. I next pushed a clotheshanged into the opening and could feel something like rubber. Now I know I need to order a new one, but i can't retrieve the old one. Does anyone have a good idea on how to remove the old one. I didn't try to remove the one on the driver side yet, but I think it may be the same. I'll wait till I fix the curbside before I fix the otherside. After all, one is better than none. Thanks in advance.
Bob and Peggy,
Bob & Peggy Standeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
lbrachfe

you will need to cut the harb plumb pipe just in front of the valve and then you will find the remainder of the rubber seal that surronds the outside of the interior paddle which will simply unscrew from the stem. Clean out the reciver channel real well and make sure you find all the rubber pieces before putting a clamped in rubber pipe or boot over a 6" in space in the horizontal hard pipe. The top of the valve has 2 phillips head screws to remove to pulll the handle,stem,paddle part. when you refit use alot of silicone to seal the top before you screw back in.

Larry Brachfeld
2003 #646
Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
lbrachfe

In the water bay you can just take off the cap and stick your hand into the area where the paddle comes down. for the black tank valva you would duplicate the instructions from my previous post.

Larry Brachfeld
2003 #646