Kohler Diesel Generator Issue Help - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
PIExpress

Default Kohler Diesel Generator Issue Help

My Kohler Diesel Generator is surging, mostly when its cold but now its happening even after warm up but does run good but only after 15 minutes of running, what is the problem and how does one fix this.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Randy J

Check your fuel filter. It could be clogged.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
NewellCrazy

I agree normally the issue is fuel related and changing your fuel filter would be a good starting point

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Newell Boss

Not sure that this topic will help you out but thought what the heck you never know.

Newell Boss

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...then-dies.html
Newell Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Archie T. Hogan

I had the same issue with our generator in the past and changing the fuel filter fixed the problem.

I hope you will luck out and have an easy fix,

Archie

Full Timing( Already Started)
Archie T. Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
77newell

Something is limiting the fuel being supplied by the injectors to the cylinders until either sufficient flow has occurred or some critical part has warmed sufficiently. The items that can limit injector fuel flow are: the injectors, the governor, the fuel filters, the fuel pump and the hoses between the the tank and the engine. The question is which one(s) of these would likely cause the symptoms you've seen gradually increase. I'm comfortable ruling out the injectors and the governor since I can't come up with a reason why warming up would take 15 minutes or so. The fuel pump can be ruled out by manually pumping it (if you have the hand tab that mine does) and seeing how many strokes it takes to produce resistance that indicates full pressure. It should not take more than a couple stroke - at least on mine. So that leaves the filter and the hoses. Since the filter is cheap and easy to change and others have had it work I would go with that first. If that doesn't do the job then I would be checking the hoses that are close to the engine. I would try squeezing them while cold to see of there are any soft spots that might indicate an internal collapse. The most likely candidate is the supply hose since it operates under suction. I can't figure why a restricted return line would do more than stress the fuel pump, though that may be just my ignorance speaking.

Please let us know how things progress. It is always useful for future reference to pass on what worked, especially if it is something the rest of us missed. And if it was something we suggested that feels really good too.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote