Classic leveling system - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
Narrowrd

Default Classic leveling system

I am wondering about general function of the leveling system. Without self leveling what is a common practice as far as adjusting ride height, etc? I've got a few truck driver friends I could ask, but figured I would get a friendlier response here.

Also, what is the purpose for the 110v compressor? Isn't the Detroit powered compressor sufficient to handle the needs? Thanks!

-M

Old 02-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
77newell

Micah: With my 77 coach I used fabricated plywood blocks that were just wider than the tires, starting at 2" thick and working up then going to 4". For the back, I used the same system except that the thicker ones were 4X4s topped with plywood. The 4X4s ran fore and aft and had gaps between them of a couple inches to save a bit of weight. These taller ones were sized to raise both tires together.

A 110v compressor may be beneficial for inflating tires depending on the pressure. My 77 needed only 85psi so the engine compressor was fine. My 93 coach needs 115 and the engine compressor won't do the job. The question is not what the maximum pressure of the compressor but rather what pressure it kicks in at as that is what really determines suitability.

Stay warm

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
ccjohnson

Also, when parked the 11oV compressor provides the air supply for the automatic air leveling system. It does a self check I believe about every 30 minutes & makes small adjustments as needed to keep the coach level.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
MrE

Micah,

When manual leveling is turned off my 86 has rods to adjust the ride height, too low air is added, too high and air is expelled. Here's a link discussing Newell's recommendation for ride height. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...de-hieght.html

When terrain has dictated, I have manually raised the height and driven with the manual leveling on.

Hope that helps.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Narrowrd

I've been so busy I didn't get a chance to follow up on this post but thanks for the replies! It makes perfect sense.

I'm working on the pneumatic system now. Anyone know why there isn't a drain valve on the tag axle tank? I can't seem to find a way to drain the back tank.