12.5 KW Kohler Diesel Generator Won't Power AC - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
GypsyCliff

Default 12.5 KW Kohler Diesel Generator Won't Power AC

My Generator ran for about an hour yesterday with no problem, but did shut off without me pressing the switch. Today, I can turn it on from the outside and it will run just fine, but it won't power the AC in the coach, nor can I use the coach switch to power it off when I've started it from outside. Inside the coach, the generator will start when I press the switch, but it shuts down again as soon as I let off the inside switch.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Cliff

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

Cliff are you plugged into shore power when trying to start your genny?

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
ccjohnson

Does the blower fan operate when you start it from outside? You may need to take it to a generator service center. usually repairs are more reasonable than you think going in.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
77newell

Cliff: since my wiring diagram is at the storage lot I'll have to pull this out of my head (not the obvious other place). On my 77 coach with the 12.5 Kohler the inside switch and the one on the control box on the generator are wired in parallel, so if either is "on" then the generator should be "on". If it loses the "on" circuit I believe it will shut down.

I don't have the information with me to give possible explanations for the lack of AC. This vintage of gen does not have the blower the later models have so that source can provide no information.

Hopefully I'll get to the storage lot tomorrow and be able to give more insight
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
77newell

Cliff: I've had a look at the wiring diagram that most closely resembles what I have found in my 77 coach. According to that diagram the "run" switches are in parallel as I previously described. What isn't shown on the diagram is a three position switch for Start-Run-Stop which is what I think you are describing you have. If what you are saying is that you have a Run-Stop switch and as soon as you left go of it after placing it in the Run position then the switch is bad. If that is not what you had happen then the circuit drawing I have doesn't apply to your generator and I don't have a basis of information to be able to help.

Regarding the output from the generator; the Kohler drawing I have seem to show the generator operating electrically independently from the engine electrical circuits in terms of output. One drawing shows a circuit breaker in the output, another drawing does not. If the generator shut down with a load on it, especially an AC motor load an output circuit breaker could easily blow. Unless something internal to the generating part failed simultaneous to the engine quitting happened, based on my understanding of the circuit drawing I can see no other reason for no AC. That doesn't mean there aren't other reasons, only that I'm too ignorant to figure them out.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
prairieschooner

PS the '76 doesn't use a Blower it has a Fan like the newer ones have. Our Switch on the '82 with a 12.5 KW KOHLER stays in the On Position when Starting and Running the Gen...could it be so simple that the switch is bad and doesn't stay in position?
Good luck electrical issues are so hard to help with from a distance.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote