Dash HVAC Questions - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
77newell

Default Dash HVAC Questions

My 93 coach dash HVAC doesn't work very well and I'm working on getting it up to snuff. So far I've found that the wire cable moved by the temperature control lever had come loose from the lever and I've reinstated it to the proper position. I will not be attacking the AC until next year.

Here are my questions:

1) what turns on the fan nearest the center of the coach that is mounted along with two others in the box in front of the generator fan. No control panel button has caused it to run.

2) what turns on the two fans under the dash. Bi control panel button has caused them to run.

3) since my control panel on the dash doesn't have any air connections to it and yet the dampers in the system are moved by vacuum are there solenoid valves somewhere.

Appreciate any insight anyone has. I've read encantotom's posting and even though his previous coach is a contemporary of mine his was configured differently.

2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
77newell

Woo-Hoo, I was wrong. It turns out the my dash heater controls are exactly as described in econtotom's postings. I misunderstood his description and was looking on the right side of the control assembly instead of the left where it is. Now I'll get my hand vacuum pump and try out the various parts as he did and I'm confident I'll find everything works just fine except the vacuum source in the coach isn't working which is rather common.

So now I'm left figuring out what turns the fans that don't seem to be operating so far.

2007 civic toad
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
folivier

Jon in case you're not aware, there is a separate fan switch to control the vents on the outside console. The hvac control fan switch only controls the vents in the middle.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
77newell

Forest; thanks I was aware of that and whatever fan(s) drive those side vents I know they are working. What I'm less sure of is if it is the ones under the dash. I could feel no vibration in them when the switch you mentioned was "on". I'll follow up further to verify.

Hope you and Cindy are having a great summer, we've had a couple of terrific trips and as soon as I pry myself away from Zen and the compulsive maintenance of motorhomes we'll have more.
2007 civic toad
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
77newell

Having spent a few more hours with the dash HVAC system I now have a pretty good understanding of how it operates. My intention here is simply to share what I have learned.

The system is made up of several pieces (for now I'm leaving out most of the AC system and concentrating on the heating and ventilating systems) I will go into detail about each in a moment:
1) A metal box in front of the cooling fan for the generator.
2) Controls in the cockpit
3) A vacuum source

The metal box in front of the generator fan contains five parts or segments inside it. Starting at the bottom is the air inlet grid on the rear side. Inside this part is also the vacuum controlled damper that controls the inlet of outside air. When the "VENT" button is pushed vacuum causes the damper to open. Return air from the coach comes through a vent under the co-pilot seat and forward through a double floor cavity into the area above the inlet grid to the box.

Just above the inlet compartment of the box is the AC cooling coil.

Just above that is the heating coil that uses hot engine coolant to heat air for either heating or windshield defrosting. The flow of hot water has two controls; the boost pump in the engine compartment that comes on when the temperature control on the dash is pushed toward "hot" a bit and a metering valve in the coolant line controlled by a wire moved by that same lever.

Above the heating coil is a plenum or box containing multispeed electric fans. The two nearest the curb-side are controlled by the fan switch on the heating control panel on the dash. They supply air to either the heating or windshield defroster outlets. The fan furthest from the curb is controlled (as Forest rightly suggested) by the switch marked "AUX VENTS".

Above the fan plenum is are two distribution plenums with flexible ducts arising from their tops. The front row of ducts on the plenum nearest the curb side are for heating and the rear row starting from the curb side are for the defrosters. Air flow is controlled by a vacuum powered set of dampers that operate in either heat or defrost position. The inside plenum above the AUX VENTS blower feeds the vents near the outside arm rests.

The controls in the cockpit are made up of three parts on my 93 coach. The main control on the dash has multiple buttons for selecting heating, cooling and defrosters along with a temperature control lever and a multi-speed fan switch. The push buttons control (for heating and defroster purposes) determine whether vacuum is sent to the outside air damper or the heat/defrost damper. There are three vacuum tubes connected via a plug to the panel. The red tube selects heat or defrost with no vacuum being defrost. The blue tube opens the outside air source with vacuum. And the black tube is the vacuum source. One the top of the control panel behind the dash is the microswitch that through a relay in the driver side engine compartment turns the boost pump on and off. The white control block part of panel control is P/N 3610-501 2262.

There is a rotating multi-speed switch just below the control panel marked "AUX VENTS" which controls a fan in the main heating and cooling box. On console beside the driver is a panel with an on/off switch marked AUX DEFROST that powers the two fans below the dash. They push air to vents below the windshield that aren't fed by the two fans in the main box.

The vacuum source is just above the six-pack below the driver's feet. A solenoid valve controls the flow of compressed air from the chassis system through a venturi that produces the needed vacuum. While I haven't seen these particular parts I understand there is spherical vacuum reservoir behind the dash in front of the driver's left knee along with a vacuum switch in the same location for turning the solenoid on and off. It is easy to test all the vacuum parts of the system with a Mitymite brand or similar hand powered vacuum pump.

Hopefully this will be helpful if you need to work on your system. If what I've written isn't clear please feel free to ask for clarification
2007 civic toad
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
77newell

There is one anomaly with this system that I have previously experienced. When I turn the heater or defroster fans on without the AUX VENTS fan on I notice some air being sucked back down those side vents. This happens because all those fans are drawing from the same space above the heating and cooling coils. Those coils somewhat restrict airflow so it is easier for the main fans to draw air backwards through the side vents and fan if that fan is off. There does not appear to be anything to prevent this backward flow except turning the AUX VENT fan on.
2007 civic toad
Old 07-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
Aragona

Any one know were I can purchase a serviceable control head? part 3610-501.3182 Mine is melted in the back of it.

Aragona is offline   Reply With Quote