Type of Exterior Doors? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
The Newell

Question Type of Exterior Doors?

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade to a newer Newell but what I am trying to figure out is why most Newell's I have seen come with the swing up exterior doors and others have the bus type that lift straight up. I prefer to buy a newer Newell Coach that has the bus type but can't seem to find very many. Was that an option for Newell's or do certain years come with those type doors.(Bus Type that lift straight up).

Thank You,

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
encantotom

howdy,

the smart guys will weigh in here with the details, but mine is s 1990 and has the doors that flip up. i know richards is a 1995 and has bus doors that go up like you are talking about. michaels is a 1992 and has doors like mine. so the doors you are referring to started either in 93, 94 or 95.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
HoosierDaddy

My '93 has doors that hinge at the top.
Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
fulltiming

Joseph, Newell used the top hinged bay doors through 1994. Newell started using the pantograph hinge (or bus type) bay doors in 1995, although it is possible that a few late 1994 models could have had them. This was a great solution until slides became popular. Beginning in 1997 when the first Newells with slides were produced, the bay doors under the slides could no longer be the pantograph hinge type door although the bay doors not under the slides remained pantograph hinge type doors. As more and more slides were added fewer and fewer pantograph hinge type doors were able to be installed. Newell has tried several types of bay doors under the slides. They have top hinged bay doors, side hinged bay doors, and currently use a top hinged articulated bay door that folds in two as it raises so that it does not stick out past the slide when it is open but is top hinged. A few other motorhome manufacturers have used side hinged pantograph bay doors which open out of the way but then block off the adjacent bay from being opened.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
chockwald

Wow, Michael, I feel much smarter on the subject of bay doors and the various hinge options than I did a few minutes ago! Thank you for the complete overview of bay door hinges, etc. You provide a wonderful resource for this forum.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
encantotom

hi all,

i was able to buy a large number of gas springs to replace all the ones on my coach doors. i will end up with quite a few leftover so if anyone is interested let me know. i had to buy a case of them. mine are 17" long center to center. btw, they are different than michaels though we have what looks to be the same doors. i have 82 pounds of pressure springs. if anyone is interested, contact me via private message. i will also have some 120lbs ones avail, but i have not had good luck with them as they seem to be too strong for my door hardware. i had 1/8" alum plates made to adhesive, then screw to mount the hardware on the doors to re-enforce them.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote