Tech Talk Archives 8 - Page 5 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #81
Neweller

A
923 3/1/2003 9:05:29 AM 3/4/2003 Art Knapp agkcpa@rvlifestyle.net Microwave/Convection The 20 year old Sharp microwave/convection in our 1983 Newell finally quit on us. I want to but a new microwave/convection oven to replace it. For short periods of time (may up tp 30 minutes) the new microwave will be powered by our Heart Freedom 3000-watt inverter. I have read that some microwaves work better than others using this modified sine wave power source. Any suggestions as to brand or model?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #82
Neweller

Q
924 3/3/2003 8:51:12 AM 3/4/2003 john leuenberger jeleuen@attglobal.net Interested in Purchasing Newell Hello Marc. Have similar 36' coach. Would say condition determines value more than anything. It takes experience to know what to look for and experience is usually not cheap! A satisfactory paint job could easily cost $10K or more. I might consider selling mine which has been thoroughly gone over and was repainted by Newell about 9 years ago. Give me a call at 850 244 6150 for any further info. Helps to know what to look for in older coaches. The model you describe has a lot of good attributes. Regards, john leuenberger

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #83
Neweller

A
931 3/7/2003 6:04:14 PM 3/12/2003 henry bozic hank31@strato.net 903 Cummins Engines I own 1983Newell with 903 Cummins 350 hp with turbo. Uses no oil but on start up smokes unless I use the engine heater prior to using coach. Are all 903 engines smokers? Perfect coach otherwise. Would like feed back.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #84
Neweller

A
932 3/8/2003 7:46:13 PM 3/12/2003 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net Electric Oil Pressure Oil light is off, but electric oil pressure gauge reads 0. Where is the best place to look? Gauge or sending unit??

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #85
Neweller

Q
933 3/12/2003 7:41:34 AM 3/12/2003 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Electric Oil Pressure Ground out the wire on the sending unit. If grounding the sender pegs the gauge, we would suspect that the sender is bad. If not, try replacing the gauge.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #86
Neweller

A
934 3/16/2003 5:24:31 AM 3/16/2003 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Maintenance Search, DC area We have a '78 Newell and live in the DC area. I am looking for a maintenance company (or companies) to (1) Conduct a preventative maintenance program for the vehicle components (brakes, steering, running gear), (2) Do body work and paint (corrosion on skin and underlying steel), and (3) Provide preventative maintenance on the Detroit 6V92 engine(without excluding me from the work area as the Baltimore based Detroit company does). I'd appreciate any leads.
Thanks,
Dick Quirk

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #87
Neweller

Q
935 3/16/2003 6:13:50 AM 3/16/2003 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Maintenance Search, DC area Our recommendation was going to be pretty easy--go to the nearest Detroit Diesel distributor (not a dealer, as distributors have more expertise and parts). However, then we noticed your requirement to remain in the work area. While we allow this in the Newell Service Department due to the specialized nature of the operation and customers, it is unusual for a shop, and generally not a very good idea, to allow customers in the work area. If you can tolerate not "helping" with the work, we suggest the most convenient Detroit Diesel distributor for chassis work. Otherwise, you might have to come to Oklahoma. Body and paint work is another issue. There is a wide range of quality levels. Done correctly, this is labor intensive and expensive. Done inexpensively, it is often not done to a high quality standard. We have recently organized a paint and body section of our factory Service Department, removing this work from the group that had primary responsibility for new production. As a result, we are doing a much larger volume of paint work and body repair for our owners. You might want to contact Jerry Allen, the Newell customer paint shop manager, toll-free at 1-888-3NEWELL to discuss your needs. The work would be done right.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #88
Neweller

A
936 3/17/2003 4:30:45 PM 3/20/2003 jeff dranreb@lowcountry.com serious chit chat THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ANSWER ON LENGTH OF TRAILERS.

JEFF

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #89
Neweller

A
949 3/25/2003 9:46:34 PM 3/26/2003 Bill Stuart, Spokane, WA wrssr@msn.com 74 Newell Coach I own a 1973 Newell with a 3208 Cat, no turbo. The engine was installed by Suncoast Ford in Florida, replacing the original 1160 Cat. Can anyone tell me what the horsepower of the 1160 was? I think it is cooling properly, but what should temperature be going down the highway? The rear end is an H-140RDAX5. This engine, since installed, has only 16,000 miles - is rear end to light? Did Newell install the 23,000 lb Page drive axle air suspension and the Onan 3 cylinder, water cooled diesel genset generator? Motorhome dog walks on me - has new Toyo tires in front. Checked steering box, seems tight - you really have to be on top of steering going down road. In the past when people were going from older tires to the new style radial tires, you had to realign your front end? Do you think there's to much overhang on rear end of coach making it light on front axle. Thanks again for your help. Bill

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #90
Neweller

Q
950 3/26/2003 1:05:08 PM 3/26/2003 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 74 Newell Coach Long wheelbase vehicles such as Newell coaches require alignment of drive (and tag) axles in addition to front axles. The thrust angle of the rear axle(s) must be adjusted close to zero or, if possible, eliminated to correct a dog tracking situaiton. The Newell Service Department utilizes the latest Hunter axle alignment equipment which is designed to perform highly accurate total axle alignments. If your coach wanders, we suspect you may also have a front axle alignment issue. You may have a "toe-out" condition. Changing from conventional to radial tires generally requires the toe-in to be set at minimum. We recommend 1/32". In summary, a complete alignment, in your case, two axles, is recommended. Once you know the alignment is correct, if you still have a problem, further checks can be made. Swapping front tires side-to-side has been known to cure some wandering problems. With the relatively light Cat 3208, the weight front vs. rear axle is not the problem. We built a number of two axle coaches with much heavier 8V92 engines. These coaches handled just fine. You indicate that your steering gear is "tight." If you have trouble curing the wandering, you might also have the steering gear checked by a competent mechanic, and rebuilt or replaced if necessary.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #91
Neweller

A
952 3/29/2003 9:32:05 PM 3/30/2003 Bill Stuart, Spokane, WA wrssr@msn.com 74 Newell Coach Thanks for your response on March 26, 2003. The info you gave me really helps - am going to have front and rear axle alignment checked. Do you know if Newell installed the 23,000 pound Page air suspension, also if they installed the Onan, water cooled diesel generator? Do you think the 140RDAX5 rear end is OK to run with the 3208, it has a six inch axle. Thanks for all your help. Bill & Linda

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #92
Neweller

A
953 3/30/2003 5:45:39 AM 3/30/2003 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 74 Newell Coach Newell used Page and Page air ride systems in the 1970s, so we probably installed the suspension. Chances are the axle and the generator are also original equipment, but confirming this would be difficult. We don't have access the specifications of the rear axle. The two major variables are the power and torque capacity and the match of the ratio to the engine. If the coach has adequate acceleration and cruising speed, the ratio is probably okay. Confirming the power capacity is trickier. If inadequate, you'll probably break a ring gear sooner or later. But the fact that it apparently has run for many years is a very good sign. We wouldn't suggest doing anything about the rear axle torque capacity unless and until it breaks because there is a good chance it won't.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #93
Neweller

A
954 4/4/2003 9:48:44 PM 4/5/2003 Bill Stuart, Spokane, WA wrssr@msn.com 74 Newell Coach I have a '74 Newell Coach. I understand they made this model until '79. Would like to hear from owners of '79 and earlier coach and exchange info. Would like to know if any of you have a 3208. I would like to know if a 1160 cat motor is a V8, and what hp it is. Tell me what you think of your earlier coach. Thanks again, for all the help. Bill & Linda.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #94
Neweller

A
957 4/9/2003 4:11:21 PM 4/11/2003 Dan niebojeski bojes@aol.com torque Would like to know how many foot pounds of torque needed on front wheel lugnuts on 2001 Newell.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #95
Neweller

Q
958 4/11/2003 7:26:45 AM 4/11/2003 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com torque The recommended torque for lug nuts on our aluminum wheels is 400 - 450 ft./lbs. Of course, lug nuts on aluminum wheels should always be installed with a torque wrench.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #96
Neweller

A
962 4/17/2003 4:27:36 PM 4/19/2003 Charles Crafton ccat1934@juno.com Maintenance Search, DC area Does the Newell have rubber roof or one solid construction?

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #97
Neweller

A
964 4/19/2003 11:18:20 AM 4/27/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Maintenance Search, DC area The roof of a Newell is aircraft-quality aluminum, two pieces, which are riveted together on the longitudinal center line. The aluminum is painted, typically white to minimize heat gain.

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #98
Neweller

A
967 4/22/2003 7:18:17 PM 4/27/2003 Orland Dewey mixednuts@torchlake.com value of coach I am going to look at a 35' Newell coach , 1970 model with
6V53 diesel engine (stock?). Don't know the mileage but its
a lot. Fair to good condition. Can anyone give me a rough
ball park value? Min. to max. price. Thanks. ODD

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #99
Neweller

A
968 4/22/2003 7:27:32 PM 4/27/2003 Orland Dewey mixednuts@torchlake.com Best oil recom. for 6V53?? What oil is best for 6V53 Detroit Diesel?
I live in Norther lower Miichigan!
Thanks. ODD

-Bob Marley
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #100
Neweller

Q
969 4/22/2003 9:02:48 PM 4/27/2003 Linda wrssr@msn.com 74 Newell Coach On my 1974 Coach, VIN #3000E101706H, I need two rear brake drums, the rear end is a H140RDAXS and A333-D-680 cast iron hub. My question to you is, the closest I have found to your factory drum is a Gunite XXXX. The only difference between your drum and the one I found is the replacement drum where lug studs go through holes is a lot thicker, by probably 3/8" or better. Can you provide me with the correct part number for the drums or the cost of the drums through you. Thanks, Bill

P.S. Coach has been down 7 months trying to find the correct drum and hub. I found bearing hub.

-Bob Marley