Annual Maintenance Checklist - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
ABnormal

Default Annual Maintenance Checklist

Does anyone know if Newell has posted a list of recommended annual maintenance practices???

I recently found a posting that mentions they recommend annual replacement of the Battery Merge solenoid and only ran across it quite by accident. I ordered one the same day, but I have to wonder what else they recommend that I am not aware of.

Might be a worthwhile topic for Newell to address at the upcoming mini-Rally. I would also like to see them add it as a link on the website.

I would really feel stupid if I were broken down on the side of a highway, only to find out later that it could have been prevented with some minor annual maintenance.

Larry P. in KC

ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
fulltiming

These is a checklist in the manual I posted for my 1992 here: http://tinyurl.com/38qo4m The suggested service item intervals are on the last page (page 48).

I replaced my battery merge solenoid about 2 years ago but unless you use it extensively, I would think annual replacement is a bit of overkill. If you leave it activated continuously to charge the starting batteries, then annual replacement isn't a bad idea. I use a Trik-L-Start which automatically feeds a trickle charge (max 5 amps) from the house batteries to the starting batteries keeping the start batteries approximately .2 volts below the house batteries. There is a diode built into the unit to prevent the house batteries from discharging the start batteries if the house batteries are not being charged. http://www.lslproducts.com/TLSPage.html.

I also use LSL's Toad-Charge to keep the battery up on my towed car even with the power usage of the Brake Buddy.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
ABnormal

Once again, Michael to the rescue. Thanks.

Michael, have you ever considered writing a book? You might call it "The Newell for idiots". I'll buy!

Larry P.
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
encantotom

oh and the other way is just to replace everything once it becomes 10 years old........oh yeah, i forgot, my coach is 18 years old.

as michael pointed out, some common sense prevails here too.

i have not had my coach as long as alot of you, and i have replaced a number of things, but other than a few, most are when they fail.

to me, the tires are the biggest thing, then the regular service on the drive train and generator. then it falls off steeply from there for me. but that is just me.

i am sure my plan will backfire at some point,

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote