Windsheild replacement - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default Windsheild replacement

I'm sure that one of you guys will know, We have a 1981 classic I think it is coach # 3 by the number on the original drawings, anyway We were recently returning from our cabin near Island Park, Idaho. We came across highway construction Yep the dreaded chip seal we were passed by a semi and you guessed it both windshields are broken. Now for the question
where can I get them locally or whatever? Thanks Graham

gstarkie@utah.gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
prairieschooner

I had the Windshields on our '82 replaced before we bough it. I used a company in Yuma, AZ called a Touch of Glass. They did a great job and I was very happy that it was covered under the previous owner's insurance.
When I called Newell about the windshields they did not have a record on the size for our '82. It does look like those were used for a while after and possibly even after the wider version coach with a 6" wide strip down the center.
I made sure that ours were "glued in" so that I would not experience these popping out later on. I did have to re-use our gasket because the glass shop couldn't find a replacement other than a "universal" style that would have had to have the center piece glued together.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
jwe648

Default windshield issues My Luck---All bad

I may have posted this elswhere however here is the brief. Rocks hit windshield's. Insurance agrees to replace.. Used their suggested company Duncan RV Glass. Offices in Elkheart, Tempe and FL. First attempt using windshield's from Newell & new seal from Newell.. Broke the windshield.
It gets better I promise.. The installer said he couldn't come back as he was going Elk Hunting..OK...I'm a guy I understand. So they sent out the Top Guy.. The trainer of trainers.. He broke both new windshields.. He was nice enough to leave them in.. looked nice but cracked... Said he had to cut 7/16" off the middle cause they we're to big.. never mind that they measured exactly the same as the original.. Off to Newell for two more windshieds.. So here is the latest.. After calling a few times about the status.. The Customer service rep ask if I would take the coach to some RV shop because obsiousy there had to be something Wrong with the coach..My$$$ I suggested that it may be a skill issue and that I was fairly sure that any RV place most likley has never seen a 74' Newell much less figure out a issue..."I probally should have been a little nicer" however.. they want an insurance adjuster to come look... I have no problem with that.. However a curious note: Duncan RV Glass trains the Insurance adjusters.. I think I may have been fired as a customer...

I called the insurance company.. I still have a friend there..I think.. Going to call Newell am to see if they will install their product...

So now for the "Bad Luck" I have a very nice fellow who is waiting for me to finish playing around so he can become a Newell Owner..
He read about the rest and is choosing to own a Newell, he must be a smart fellow...

Jimmy
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
HoosierDaddy

Hi Graham,
I've replaced windshields in both my '78 (10 years ago) and my '93 last year. Both times I took measurements and called Newell. They sent the glass and the proper rubber seal directly to a local installer.
We had a lot of problems getting them to fit the '78. We had to trim the aluminum around the lower outside corners. Most installers will not guarantee unless you buy the glass from them but they could not find the correct pieces so I went to Newell. I was very relieved that they did not break on the '93 because I was paying out of MY pocket for those.
I've been told that the classic Newells (such as yours) use the same glass as the old GMC Astro cab-over semi-tractors.
Also If the installer uses a sealer that must cure it is a good idea to let it set in a temperature controlled environment for at least 24 hrs after installation.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default windshield replacement 81 newell

Well heres my experiance with the windshield replacement, I called the insurance guy the hooked me up with the glass guy and they ordered the glass from coach glass. So far not bad well the glass came in and it was the right size and all looked OK. The glass guy really liked my coach and He had never heard of or seen a Newell. The right side went in flawlessly but they broke the left side, thats when I said I think the glas is the same as the GMC ASTRO cab over semi truck glass as well as the Chevrolet GENERAL semi truck glass the glass guy got on the computer located a left side GMC ASTRO windshield locally not only did it fit but the glass guy told me in the future he could replace the windshield at a cost far below my 500.00$ deductible. so th rumor that the old GENERAL MOTORS semi trucks used the same glass is absolutely 100% accurate. Hey and by the way thanks for all the info on the forum website it makes owning a classic Newell alot more fun.
gstarkie@utah.gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
tuga

In my 1987 Newell 102" I changed the passenger side windshield. I ordered it from Newell and Matt Russo (express1) installed it. No problems!

In my 1993 Newell I changed the driver's side windshield. I ordered it from Newell and Matt Russo (express1) installed it. No problems!

In my 1999 Newell I changed the passenger side windshield. I ordered it from Newell and Matt Russo (express1) installed it. No problems!

Russo is retired now, but if you have a problem he is THE MAN!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Brad Townsend

Hey Tuga, where do you keep all those Newells?!
Must be one big garage.
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
prairieschooner

I say we call Matt, get a great rock and negotiate with Connie!!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
express1

Default Retired

Thats what is means..........for now after 40yrs.
Anybody needing w/s work should look for the oldest glass company in town for replacement...Newell uses old school design......BECAUSE IT WORKS!
P.S.
Connie now excepts Clear sparkling rocks
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
jwe648

Default Update

So .. I now have a different Glass Company replacing the windshields.. Duncan is out and RV Glass Solutions is in.. Taking it over in the am for the fix...(I Hope) Thanks Tom! for the recommendation..

Jimmy
Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
James Tuckness

Replaced windshelds on our 71 in 2004. Purchased 2 from Newell along with new rubber seal. Glass company broke one, They didn't charge me for that one. Set the other one in but it looked like a ""bug eye." Back to Newell for 2 more windshelds. Took coach to Binswanger Glass where a "old hand" modified the glass to fit the openings respectively and installed with out trouble. Glass had to be shortened in the center by about 1" and also needed the be trimmed along the bottom side. Each window opening was different. He also recut the one that was not broken and reset. About $1,700 worth of glass and 2 trips to Miami to the Newell shop. Was all it took. Now have two set in coach and a spare in storage. Nothing is as nice as "new glass" used truck glass usually looks like it "went a million miles".

James Tuckness
7 years of restoration on 71 30' (Kate)
James Tuckness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #12
jwe648

Default Final Update on the ole' 74

I now have two new windshields.. They fit perfectly!!!! .....
Rv Glass Solutions here in PHX was the solution....
Highly recommend....

So this ordeal only took 2 1/2 months ... But it's done...

The New owner will pickup info on the ole' 74 from here out..
I'll highly recommend to him to signup...

Regards,
Jimmy now looking.....
Old 10-23-2010, 04:02 AM   #13
prairieschooner

Jimmy,
I'm sure this is bitter sweet! It would appear that you did such a great job on the '74. I just hope that you stick with a Newell because at least I enjoyed sharing the repair process.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
larryweikart

It looks like it's time to re-coat our roof. Looking for some advice on procedure and product(s) to use. Any input will be deeply appreciated.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Brad Townsend

Larry
Check out this web site. http://www.ultratuff.net/
This is what I am considering, it comes in to different textures and is a bit pricy but if applied properly it is a great product. I figured the color white would work best to reflect the sun plus the make up of the product would quiet the rain. It has small chunks of rubber mixed in the paint. I have used this product and it is tough.

Brad
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer
Old 11-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
HoosierDaddy

Re: roof coat...IMHO good ole shiny paint is the best choice for the roof. Our last travel trailer had a "rubber roof". It seemed to be textured just enough that fine dirt/dust would collect over time and then a small amount of rain would result in those dreaded "black streaks" down the side of the trailer. Both of my Newells have been paint. I'm curious if they are putting something else on the newer ones.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
Brad Townsend

That is a good point to consider. Sherwin Williams carries a paint that they say is recommended for such a job, shiny and smooth and much cheaper.
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer
Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #18
larryweikart

Thanks for the input. I lean towards power washing and then giving it a coat or two of a high gloss white sherwin williams paint, however, I'm still open for suggestions or comments.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #19
prairieschooner

I was told that they used Imron on our '82. I would suggest that you choose a nice high end paint like a 2 part epoxy type. A bit more $$$ to start with but the longer life is worth it in the end.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #20
Brad Townsend

This summer I refurbished some dumpsters for the National Forest and they bought from Sherwin Williams this type of paint, Metalastic DTM, acrylic modified enamel. It is a pretty rugged paint.

1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
25 ft Haulmark trailer