Traveling out of the country with your Newell coach? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
NeverEnding

Default Traveling out of the country with your Newell coach?

I have read others postings and know a lot of you have traveled outside of the United States in your Newell. And some even live out of the country in their Newell. I was wondering how it works when crossing the boarder? Do you need any special paperwork? or just your passport and you're good to go? Are you required to have any sort of inspection or forms? Is it a hassle or fairly simple? We would like to have the options of traveling to Canada, Mexico and other parts of South America that we can drive too.

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford
NeverEnding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
tuga

Tom & Donna,

We traveled thru Canada in 2010 on our way to Alaska. If you will have any guns on board you need to have a permit filled out with the proper information. You can obtain the correct forms off of the internet. No pistols allowed! If you are going to have over $10,000 in cash on board you need to declare that at the border as well.

I would recommend getting about $2,000 in Canadian money once you are in Canada; it is just easier to use than paying with American dollars. We also brought $10,000 in cash because MasterCard and DiscoverCard charge a 3% surcharge on all purchases. So when you buy a tank of diesel at $5/gallon X 100 gallons = $500 you get to pay an additional $15. Doesn't sound like much until you get back home.

I have never been in Mexico & I wouldn't go now for all the tea in China! Too dangerous! But that's just me.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Bill & Sonja

As Canadians we have had no problems moving between Canada and U.S. with our Newell. Even the initial importing of the Newell to Canada was painless. We show our passports, talk nice to the border agents and it has always been pleasant crossing borders both ways. You may want to phone ahead and check with the border crossing if you are carrying firearms. We hope to take our coach to Mexico one of these winters but have been a bit uncomfortable with it thus far.
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
fulltiming

For anyone with a loan on their Newell, check with your lien holder. Some specifically require their advanced approval to take the coach out of the United States.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I live in Mexico and take my Newell with me. I had to obtain a 10 year permit which cost about $50, and the permit can be cancelled when departing Mexico. If you limit your travel to the state of Sonora, you will not need a permit for your towed car, otherwise, you will need an "all of Mexico" permit for the car. Most US insurance policies for motorhomes cover collision in Mexico, but you will need an inexpensive Mexican liability policy. Me and my friends feel safe and secure in Mexico. My personal view is that Mexico is basically safer than many of the metropolitan areas in the US. Most of the violence in Mexico is limited to those involved with drugs. For reasons other than violence, I try not to travel on the main highways at night. If you would like more information, email me.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
NeverEnding

Thank you all very much for the help. I think most of our concerns were covered. We've traveled outside of the country for short vacations but never in a motorhome. So, our concerns about Mexico and being safe while out of the country isn't to big of a concern. Thank you again!

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. - Henry Ford
NeverEnding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
jWolfe

I have yet to travel to Mexico in my coach. But I have traveled to Canada several times. You'll want to know a couple more things, others didn't touch on if you plan on traveling to Canada.

Traveling with a pet:
Be sure to have your veterinarian write up a health certificate showing your animal’s breed, description and proof of rabies vaccination.

Bringing liquor into Canada:
You may bring in one of
1.5 litres (50.7 US ounces) of wine, including wine coolers over 0.5 percent alcohol, or
1.14 litres (38.5 US ounces) of liquor, or
a total of 1.14 litres (38.5 US ounces) of wine and liquor, or
24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounce) cans or bottles of beer or ale, including beer coolers over 0.5 percent alcohol (a maximum of 8.5 litres or 287.4 US ounces).

Bringing Tobacco products into Canada:
You are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada free of duty and taxes within your personal exemption:
200 cigarettes;
50 cigars;
200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and
200 tobacco sticks.

YOU MUST DECLARE:
You must declare any meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, and plant or animal products you are bringing into the country. Be aware that some items are not allowed, as they may pose a threat to Canadian agriculture or livestock. They have you dispose of such items if you have them in your coach.

All weapons must be declared. You may be permitted to bring certain types, such as hunting rifles. Some firearms, such as handguns, are restricted; other weapons, including switchblade knives and replica firearms, are prohibited. Any weapons that are not declared will be confiscated.

Also, be aware that radar detectors are prohibited in Canada, so best to leave yours at home.

If you have other questions or concerns you can call the Canada Border Information Service 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064.