Poor Water Flow Rate - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Lindsay

Default Poor Water Flow Rate

I have no doubt the answer to these questions is in here somewhere, but I haven't found it., so I'm asking. I'd like to get one of those inline filters that fits between city water source and fresh water tank on Newell Coach. Flow rates show to be 2 - 2.5 GPM. Is that enough for a decent shower? Seems low, but I don't really know what's normal. What flow rate is generally considered adequate for the various uses one has for it? BTW, the filter would be primarily for sediment and iron. Don't know if the inlines can do anything about iron.

Also reading the posts about pressure regulators. I bought one at Walmart that says 40 - 45 psi. The local RV dealer 'gave' me one that says 50 - 55 psi. Valtrex I think. My water flow rate is quite poor. Shower just sort of dribbles. Are these pressure regulators rated for pressure and flow or what.

Thanks.

T. Lindsay

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
jimbo

The typical RV pressure regulator is really a flow restrictor and doesn't do a good job, if any, of reducing water pressure. Get a whole house regulator, like a Watts, and the fittings to attach it to your water hose. We set ours for 60psi. You won't need to use it unless the campground water pressure gets to 80psi or higher.

Same for the filter. Get a residential style canister filter and fittings to adapt to the hose. Use whatever filter cartridge you feel is appropriate. We use a sediment filter as the carbon filters reduce the flow rate.

jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
The Newell

I too think that 2 gpm is a low flow rate. I would looking for 3 or more.

PSI is not the spec of concern on a regulator - they all do fine on pressure. The question is, what is the regulators flow rate? Those rv regulators rarely pass more than 1-2 gpm. That's why you want a "whole house" regulator for those places where any regulator at all is needed.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Newellin Thunder

you may have other things going on.

1. Clean the screens at all faucets
2. Remove the water saver from the shower head and clean out anything there if you have one.
3. Consider an Oxygenics shower head. the difference in my shower is night and day with it.
4. Clean the strainer on your pump.

This should help out on the flow issues

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Archie T. Hogan

Most motorhome shower's are in the 1.5-2.5 GPM However there are ways to help achieve higher GPM

Full Timing( Already Started)
Archie T. Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote