Tech Talk Archives 1 - Page 7 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #121
Neweller

A
207 1/3/2001 6:00:34 AM 1/3/2001 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Positive Feedback! Thank you for establishing this Tech Talk service!
For the past five years, we have enjoyed our 78 Newell immensely. However, except for two trips to the factory, we have felt like we're out there alone. Your Tech Talk service has changed all that for the better.
Of course, the factory visits were very enlightening, and calls to your parts department or to the service technicians, some of whom built the coach, have always been extremely productive. However, there has been no good way to learn about the ins and outs of our coach except through direct question and answer to you. Tech Talk is connecting us to all the other owners of the older coaches, as well as to your experts. It is a wonderful idea.
Again, we greatly appreciate your company's continued commitment to the coaches you have built. We wish you all the best in the New Year.

Maura and Dick Quirk
Ft. Huachuca, AZ

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #122
Neweller

Q
209 1/7/2001 2:38:17 PM 1/7/2001 Kevin Temperton ktemperton@apollotx.com Electric Heaters I have 3 electric heaters in my 1986 Coach. Two of the fan motors have stopped working. There is not a name on either one. Can you be of any help? Both are same size. A third heater in the bath appears to be smaller, but is still working.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #123
Neweller

Q
210 1/8/2001 12:05:43 PM 1/8/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Electric Heaters From your description, we believe that you are referring to forced air electric in wall heaters manufactured between 1970 and 1986 as model TW 1222 heaters under the Square D or Nelco brand names. In 1996, Square D conducted a recall of these heaters. The recall stated that if the blower wheel does not operate, OVERHEATING MAY OCCUR RESULTING IN A FIRE WHICH COULD CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, OR PROPERTY DAMAGE. Do not operate the heaters. You should replace the heaters with new units designed and manufactured by Marley Electric as a field replacement for TW series heaters. The new heaters are available from Newell Parts by calling Gerald Williams, 1-888-363-9355. The 1996 recall was conducted entirely by Square D and information on the progress of the recall was not shared with Newell Coach. For this reason, unfortunately, Newell has no records pertaining to the recall status of particular coaches.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #124
Neweller

A
211 1/8/2001 4:00:57 PM 1/13/2001 Jim Weckman jweckman@hutchtel.net skylight gaskets You may want to try some of the after market supply companies like JC Whitney, or get a copy of a Hemmings Motor News to look for automotive restoration companies specializing in rubber trim and gaskets.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #125
Neweller

A
212 1/8/2001 5:25:56 PM 1/13/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Electric Heaters I had the same problem in my 1979 and 1987 Newells. The Square D recall provided for a replacement heater at a wholesale price of something like $110. The problem was it didn't fit in the same hole (heater was wider). If you need the smaller one, like in the bathroom, and if Newell doesn't have it, you can get it from Grainger for about $125. If you don't have a Grainger account, email me, John Clark jvclark02@cs.com .

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #126
Neweller

A
213 1/8/2001 5:43:01 PM 1/13/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Michelin Replacement I agree with Newell on the Bridgestones, and have also found Toyo tires to be very good. I prefer to use steer tire versus drive tires, as they have a reinforced edge to reduce cupping. It may be just me, but I also think they ride better. I have a 1987 with a tag axle, and just spent the summer in Alaska with no problems.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #127
Neweller

A
214 1/8/2001 5:48:55 PM 1/13/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Satellite receiver overheating... I bought a small 12 volt muffin fan (quiet is the key) and installed it over one of the vents. Problem solved. You can use a swithch or thermostat to activate it.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #128
Neweller

A
216 1/12/2001 9:26:54 AM 1/16/2001 Jim Weckman jweckman@hutchtel.net skylight gaskets Both JC Whitney and Hemmings Motor News are on line and may be a source for the seals you need.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #129
Neweller

A
218 1/15/2001 8:37:59 PM 1/16/2001 Alex Graham alex@pyramid.net Inadequate AC - 1986 40' I have heard of coaches being modified to enable the roof air conditioners to operate while on the road. Do you have any suggestions as to the proper modification to use?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #130
Neweller

Q
219 1/16/2001 6:36:43 AM 1/16/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Engine/Transmission/oil/temperature The following message, received from John Clark, was inadvertently deleted from this string on the Tech Talk Board, and is reposted:

I have an 8V92, and have experienced much the same temperatues you have. I just finished a 17,000 mile trip to Alaska trip and engine temps between 160 and 210 seemed the norm. When my engine approaches 210 and there's a lot of grade left I usually slow down and shift to lower gear. If you can back down 5 to 10 lbs on your boost gauge, it will make a big difference on your water temp. I also carry a 2 gallon yard sprayer (filled with 409/Fantastic etc. and hot water) with me so I can rinse off dirt and oil build up on my radiator (accessible coin operated pressure washers are getting harder to find). Keeping the radiator clean, using the proper coolant (and mixing it properly), and backing off the throttle on long grades, should keep you from having the most expensive boat anchor in town. The Detroit 92 series engines do not like to be overheated; if you warp the heads, you might as well put jam in your pockets, because you are toast.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #131
Neweller

A
220 1/16/2001 8:00:17 AM 1/16/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Suggestions on engine replacement A quick check of the internet shows a Cummins 555 for $4500 and a Cummins 903 for $3500. I think a 903 gives about 350 hp vs. your 555 at 240. They look damn near identical, and Newell used both engines in their late 70s early 80s coaches. Maybe an "old timer" at Newell can clarify the differences.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #132
Neweller

A
221 1/16/2001 8:15:42 PM 1/17/2001 Danny Roccaforte, Darby Oil droc@ih2000.net Tag axle pressure On my 1987 40', what air pressure should I run to the tag axle in normal driving conditions?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #133
Neweller

Q
222 1/16/2001 8:30:43 PM 1/17/2001 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com. Inadequate AC - 1986 40' The only problem that I have encountered is that it is necessary to start the generator while the coach is standing still. There is a squarrel cage blower that supplies air for generator cooling. At times the ram air can get this fan running backwards while the coach is moving. If you start the generator while this condition exists it can continue to turn backwards and not provide the necessay air to cool. Other than this we haven't had any propblems running the air conditioners while underway.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #134
Neweller

A
223 1/17/2001 3:45:25 PM 1/17/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Inadequate AC - 1986 40' The problem of the generator fan turning backwards after being started during driving can be cured by installing a new fan and motor designed to reverse the air flow. The parts required to make this change can be ordered by calling Jim Gering, the Newell service manager, at 1-888-363-9355. If you prefer not to incur the expense and trouble of making the change, be sure to start the generator while the coach is stopped.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #135
Neweller

A
224 1/17/2001 3:49:58 PM 1/17/2001 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Tag axle pressure We recommend 25 psi.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #136
Neweller

A
225 1/18/2001 8:24:14 AM 1/21/2001 Alex Graham alex@pyramid.net Inadequate AC - 1986 40' My question really referred to possibly using an inverter with power from the engine electrical system to run the 110v. system! What are the thoughts about this? I currently use the generator but do not like to do it that way.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #137
Neweller

A
226 1/20/2001 8:52:13 PM 1/21/2001 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Electric Heaters I went through that recall with Square D on our 1978 Newell. Square D paid a good part of the costs. It is possible that they are still doing so. If you are interested, I will dig out contact information for Square D.
The new heaters they sent are more narrow than the originals. Furthermore, they are wired for an electric entrance on the right of the heater (as you look at it), whereas the old ones had their electric entrance on the left. Rerouting was not too difficult, but there were a few tricks involved. Again, if you decide to use these newer heaters, I will send you my experiences.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #138
Neweller

A
227 1/21/2001 12:28:48 PM 1/21/2001 Alex Graham alex@pyramid.net roof AC from eng. & inverter? Any suggestions other than the aux. gen. to use the engine 12 volt electrical system with an inverter for 110 volts for roof ACs?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #139
Neweller

Q
228 1/21/2001 5:34:41 PM 1/23/2001 Dean 67gto@bright.net roof AC from eng. & inverter? Using an invertor to power the roof A/C is quite common on the bus conversions. I believe they sometimes add a second engine driven alternator to keep the house batteries charged
as they run the invertor.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #140
Neweller

A
230 1/23/2001 4:48:37 AM 1/23/2001 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com roof AC from eng. & inverter? I run my front roof air off my Heart 3000 Inverter. My amp guage shows about 60 amps usage. I always wait until my batteries are fully charged before putting the load on my engine alternator.

-Bob Marley