Main Water Pump Voltage - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
prestadude

Default Main Water Pump Voltage

I am going to replace the main water pump on my 2000 coach. I pulled the pump, fired up the generator and measured the voltage supplied to the pump. My volt meter set on AC read 123 volts. I opened up the motor on the old pump (dual voltage motor) and saw that it appeared to be set to 230 volts. Now I am confused. There are two possibilities, 1) I somehow screwed up using the volt meter (always a possibility), 2) the motor was incorrectly set to the wrong voltage. Is it possible for a dual voltage motor set to 230 volts to run on 120 volts?

prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
RussWhite

Tim,

You are looking for opinions and mine may well be worth just what you are paying for it, but here goes.

I think you know exactly how to use your voltmeter and the reading you got of 123vac is perfectly normal for either L1 or L2 from your generator, or for that matter, power from the post.

I also think it is very unlikely that the voltage should be anything other than the nominal 120vac you measured.

As to whether the motor has been connected for 220vac service hard to say other than anything is possible and you could have found a reason for poor performance. And yes, it is possible the motor would run - not well - but it could run on half voltage.
Hope this helps. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote