Dishnetwork Local channels or Distant Networks? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
folivier

Default Dishnetwork Local channels or Distant Networks?

Since we are now fulltiming we have to decide between Dishnetwork local channels and calling each time we enter a different spotbeam area, or signing up and paying for distant networks through All America Direct.
Our plans are to travel into new areas every month or so, so could have to call and change the local channels every day or two until we settle in for a month.
Anybody doing this now?
Opinions?
Thanks

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

"MyDistantNetworks delivers network programming from both the east and west coasts to areas the main providers don't service. Are you unable to receive your networks (ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox)? Now you can! Find out if My Distant Networks is available for your home"

ALLAMERICANDIRECT.COM

Hi Forest,

Not currently, I am debating switching over from a contract to month by month this way if at any point I want to cancel or I just don't need it that month if I'm visiting friends or family I can and will use that money elsewhere.

For those who are not aware of this DISH is offering distant network to RVers only and DISH imports their choice of network channels to fill in short markets cool feature by the way.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
PIExpress

Yeah, We're doing this, Not a big deal at all. Quick phone call and your done.

DISHForMyRV - DISH® Distant Network Instructions
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
GORDON HUMMEL

Forest,
When I first started traveling It was in the mist of the changeover to HD broadcasting. I would call Dish to get local channels, & correct time on the guide, which at the time, they didn't appreciate and told me so, more than once. Over the last few years, I have found that I can get local OTA channels in HD, with a picture much better the thru the dish. I have a small HD antenna which I think I got @ HD & I mounted on my old roof antenna mast. For whatever reason, I get the best reception with the old antenna 1/2 way up @ about 45 degrees.
If your Dish box does NOT have a "K" on the end of the model #, you can wire your coax fromt your OTA antenna directly into the Dish box. The box will scan for local channels & you can then add them to your guide. Additionally you can actually record the OTA channels, only one @ a time, BUT you can also record TWO dish channels at the same time. I found this out by mistake when I was staying in Needles, Ca. I had the LA feed on Dish, but was also able to get a repeater for Phoenix stations on my OTA antenna, & Phx had the same shows on, but an hour earlier, for us old guys.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
folivier

Gordon, I figured that out while I was in Arizona. I have a single LNB in-motion dish + VIP211K receiver with hard drive. Some areas we were in we could not receive any locals, or no networks. Kinda missed a few shows we like. We're leaning towards cancelling our locals and getting both east & west feeds. I've heard another problem with changing your locals is you have to reprogram your DVR recordings each time you move.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
GORDON HUMMEL

Forest,
Changing your locals does require reprograming your DVR. I have a seperate guide listing for all the local channels I have used. I just keep adding to it as I travel. Once you get dish to change to you current locals, that local list populates with the available stations that have been previously added.
Re receivers, I have the vip622, which supports 2 tv's w seperate remotes. Tv 2, on this system does not get HD, however. This works good for me as I don't think I would have room in back for a second reveiver. The Vip722, has a larger drive, but other wise I don't see any difference in functionallity.

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote