Please explain How The Steerable Tag Axle Functions on a Newell Coach Work - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
PatriotLuke

Default Please explain How The Steerable Tag Axle Functions on a Newell Coach Work

Can any one tell me when was the first year steerable tag axles became available by newell and please explain its exact function? I have read stories from other non newell coach owners who had instances when they accidentally drug their steerable tags because it did not re-align properly and therefor ruined tires.

Luke

PatriotLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
PatriotLuke

Don't know if my question was missed but I'm still optimistic I'll get an answer.

Luke

Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
fulltiming

Steerable tag axles were introduced by Newell during the 2004 model year. They are provided by ZF. I know coach #699 and #701 both had a ZF steerable tag axle. I don't show any prior to that but there may be.

The ZF steerable tag used by Newell is active steering using hydraulics to steer the tag. At low speeds, as the steering wheel is turned, the tag axle turns in the opposite direction to the front wheels. There are two advantages to a steerable tag on a large, heavy coach: 1) the tag tires do not scrub when turning and there is no transfer of weight off the tag to the drive axle which would occur with a lifting tag or an air pressure release on the tag and 2) the turning circle is reduced significantly. ZF also makes a passive steering tag axle.

The degree of turn of the steering tag axle increases (at low speeds) as the steering wheel is turned sharper. At anything other than low speeds, the tag is locked in the center position.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
PDN

I have coach 685 and have the ZF turning. It works great with no problems.

Paul
2004 Newell Coach Quad Slide 45' #685
PDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Neweller

Paul, you own a beautiful coach and one of the more rare colors in that year range. My youngest boy (a teen) says to me; Dad, here's my Newell! It would look great with the red Corvette he has been dreaming of since he was probably three.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
PatriotLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDN View Post
I have coach 685 and have the ZF turning. It works great with no problems.

Paul
Hello Paul,

Have you ever experienced issues with your steerable tag not aligning correctly?

Luke
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
PDN

Ken,
Thank you for your kind words regarding my coach. My wife and I have absolutely loved owning this coach. We think it is time to downsize and visit more parks, etc with the grandkids. Still trying to decide if we want to go with two coaches or as my wife says, "i have enough trouble keeping one clean".

Luke,
To answer your question, i have experienced no issues with the steerable tag. Now, that being said, I have the coach into the factory for yearly service and preventative maintenance.
I really don't know if they make any adjustments at that time. I just tell them that i want the coach in perfect shape, and thats what they always do.

Paul

2004 Newell Coach Quad Slide 45' #685
PDN is offline   Reply With Quote