What is the left brake pedal 1991 - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #21
jdaniel

Case solved! Thanks to all of you for your input. I crawled under there and looked the pedal over before leaving this weekend and found the reason the pedal was sticking was the panel in front of it had slid back and was restricting the pedal. When I would push it, it would hang up after about an inch and stick. I moved the panel back and now the pedal will go to the floor and you can feel it working fine. I never found an on/off switch but I can definitly tell it works.

jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #22
fulltiming

Great information. Congratulations on having one of only a handful of Newells with a transmission retarder. Just watch those transmission temperatures closely when the retarder is in use. Retarders frequently work better than a jake brake but letting the temperature get too high can force you to turn it off just as you need it the most. Same procedure as a jake: keep your speed down when approaching a long downgrade, have the transmission in a lower gear to insure that the engine is running at 1700-2000 rpms to gain maximum effect of the retarder (or jake), and if you determine that you can not keep your coach from gaining speed going downhill without the use of the service brake, you are going too fast. Use the service brake to slow to a lower speed, downshift if necessary and try again. The momentum of a 40,000-60,000 pound coach going down a 6%+ grade is terrific. An enormous amount of heat will be generated to keep the speed in check. Use truck speed limit restrictions as your guide since you are in the same weight range that they are.

Have fun, you have a nice feature.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #23
jdaniel

Michael, exactly what does the retarder do and when and "why" would I use it? We have no hills in Alabama and I've never had any problems slowing down when on the road. Is it like a brake helper? In other words if needing to stop in a hurry, would you press the brake and the retarder at the same time?
I'm glad I have it but I'm not sure I understand the need for it.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
Richard and Rhonda

Oh yeah, well, some buddy you are. Now we all have retarder envy. I have driven Prevosts and Foretravels with them, and they are nice and smooth.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #25
jdaniel

Let me add, I've never had to downshift while going down a hill to maintain speed. I'm guessing a retarder comes in handy when traveling thru the mountains?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #26
Richard and Rhonda

You do have a few hills in Alabama, but seriously the first time you have to come down a grade of any length, you will find that gravity does want to pull the 40,000 lbs down the mountain. If you just ride the brakes they will overheat very quickly. So most coaches have an exhaust brake, or compression brake (jake brake) that uses the engine to hold the speed down.

As far as a panic stop, yep, use everything you have. Although your setup would seem to require TWO feet to activate both pedals.

Hopefully you will get the chance to tour in the Newell to some of the country's more mountainous terrain.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #27
fulltiming

Yes, the transmission retarder is a helper brake.

Most of the LONG grades are in the western states but you will stop faster anytime you need the come down on the brakes hard using the transmission retarder in addition to the service brakes. There are numerous grades in the U.S. that are 6% or steeper and 5-22 miles long, some with sharp turns and even switch-backs in them. Looking at the Mountain Directory East, there are no listings for Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina or Florida. However, go up to Tennessee and you can find some good ones. An example is Tennessee Highway 142 from Roan Mountain, TN to Bakersville, NC. The Tennessee side is 7-1/2 miles of 7-9% grade. The North Carolina side (HWY 261) starts out with 6-1/4 miles of 7-9% grade with a short section of 10% then levels out then after a few miles continues at a 8-9% grade for a mile and a half. That kind of road will overheat your brakes quickly. A 9-10% grade looks like you are falling off the side of the earth from the driver's seat.

The Mountain Directory West lists over 150 pages of long steep grades and provides information on the location of truck runaway ramps versus about 87 pages for the Mountain Directory East.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #28
encantotom

it is a whole different animal to drive going down or up a steep grade. when we were on the road this past summer for 2 months, we stayed in cloudcroft, new mexico for a week. it was beautiful and at 8600 feet. when we left town, there was a sign that said, "6% grade next 16 miles" we happily put it in low gear, left the jake on and cruised at 25mph all the way down, just like the speed limit was for trucks. i must say that there was a long line of very unhappy cars behind me.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #29
chockwald

I've done a few long down hills at 6% and more, and I am really glad I have the Jake brake. Like Tom, I just put it in low, turn on the Jake, and cruise down the hill at 25mph. One I drive often is Sherwin Grade north of Bishop, CA on HWY 395 on my way home from Mammoth Mountain.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #30
jdaniel

So if I ever encounter that type of steep grade I would just use a lower gear and hold the retarder pedal down while watching trans temp. Thats good to know and it's interesting to have something sorta rare to Newells, even if I do live in the south and can't use it.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #31
fulltiming

You have the procedure down. Remember to keep the engine speed up by using lower gears to maximize the benefit of the transmission retarder. You can also use the transmission retarder to help slow down anytime. Short periods of usage of the retarder do not build up significant heat and likely help keep the system functioning better than non-use.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #32
larryweikart

Well, I just came down the 16% grade leaving La Guna Seca racetrack in Ca.( for the 11th time) If you've ever been there, you know what an experience that is. It's not that long (about a half mile) but with out the Jake on my Newell and keeping it in low gear, it would be impossible, not to mention deadly. Thank God for my Newell!
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #33
jdaniel

Used the pedal to help stop occasionally this weekend and it does work well. Its also good when trying to stop quickly for a red light. Glad it's in there.