Use of Super Singles in the RV Market - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
David Carrol

Default Use of Super Singles in the RV Market

I have questions concerning the use of the super single tires and I'm sure others do also, I am wondering if anyone has any info concerning there use in the rv market. I myself don't understand why super single tire usage has not been utilized when you consider how many OTR drivers run them. Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

David Carrol

Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Newell Attack

I too was wondering about this and will follow this thread.

Jeff

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
afrench45

I asked Featherlite once and they said they don't offer the same load capacity that is needed from coaches with slides.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
77newell

I've investigated putting them on my 77 coach. I had two interests; 1) they might look incredibly cool, 2) there are some fuel mileage benefits - small but real. I have yet to do it because there are other things I'd rather do first and I've been trying to ascertain the availability of tires in case of an on-the-road problem.

In terms of cost the tire prices for a rear axle would be about the same for wides versus standards. However, you would have to sell the existing rims (and tires if there is useful life left) and then add a bit of money to purchase the wide rims. Economically the calculation showed that given the miles I drive the tires would age out long before wearing out and there are not enough miles with fuel savings to recover the initial added costs.

One additional advantage I've seen reported is that despite the wide tire's overall narrower track the total stability is greater due to the average leverage of the tire being wider.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Neweller

Jon, that is a very rational observation of thought. The subject came up on here a few years ago and their are folks interested in them. Since cost of starting out with them is relatively the same as running a set of duals, we are starting to see many tour and over the road buses running them. I have heard gains from Prevost fleet owners of a 6-8% savings on fuel, but like you said it may not pay off for the guy that don't run the miles.

I noticed at the last Nascar race I attended there were at least three racers running them on their Prevost conversions and those were all slide units. I believe they are very stable running 20 ply's. They could be a tad stiffer, but with air suspension you are not going to know. One driver had told me he felt it to be a more tuned ride. I was thinking I posted a picture on here with them installed on a newer Prevost. We will have to compare the load capacities and see if that is currently any kind of issue.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
chockwald

This topic was discussed here (http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...ead-duals.html) back in 2006.....good information already on the site.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
NewellCrazy

FWIW, I have spoke to 3 different prevost owners who use super singles and all have said they drive fine and that you couldn't tell any difference between duals and super singles when speaking about ride quality.

No one has admitted it yet. We all seem to be biased, because it took so long for someone to make a single heavy enough, and we all got hooked on duals.

And now we are suspicious of a singles???. The only reason coach manufactures decided on duals was to carry more weight than a single could carry.

You don't think there were folks who didn't believe in duals way back when?

happy traveling!

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Gimpy

Both wide tires and wide wheels are a lot more expensive. Supposedly the wide tires are less prone to blowouts.

Franco Filipovic

2001 Newell Coach

Detroit Series 60 HP 500

Allison 6 Speed HD4060
[TABLE="width: 260, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
77newell

Gimpy: when I was looking into this about a year ago I found that wide tires for my coach would cost about the same as two narrow tires and since I would be using them only in place of duals the cost wasn't that much different. As I recall the same was for the rims/wheels though there may have been a bit more of a bump. In total if I had to buy new dual rims and tires the super-wides would not have been that much more, at least not enough to prevent me from doing it.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
NewellCrazy

[h=1]X One XRV Tire[/h]
wheels approx 600.00 each
tires approx 900.00 each
Name:  rv supersingle.jpg
Views: 2297
Size:  4.5 KB

[h=4]Description[/h]
  • Engineered to replace duals on highway and regional trailer axle fitments.
  • Features Michelin's patented Infini-Coil technology™, incorporating a 1/4 mile of steel cable to help eliminate casing growth and ensure a consistent footprint.
  • Reduces energy consumption and unsprung vehicle weight.
  • Offers new degrees of freedom for recreational vehicle manufactuers to include additional storage space.
  • Improved maneuverability in campgrounds to get into those tight spaces.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Will Procter

What is the load capacity????

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Neweller

I was thinking the ones on the semi's were around 22k each but there are lighter ones depending on the application.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #13
peneumbra

One reason for NOT going to the OTR super singles is that they're still not that common - if you have a tire failure in the middle of nowhere, and call the local tire guy to bring you out a new tire, he might not have one. Which could be a problem.

So, okay, you're going to carry your own spare X-1 or whatever to get around that issue. Can be done, but those things are REALLY HEAVY!! and you might find that getting it out of the bay becomes an unpleasant task, even with the local tire guy assisting. And you'd need yet another spare (if you wanted to feel balanced, Cosmically) for the steer/tag axle...

peneumbra is offline   Reply With Quote