engine ac clutch burns up - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
paultracy3

Default engine ac clutch burns up

i cant tell you how many times i have burned up the clutch and had it lock up and shred the belt . whats the fix . i have changed everything

paultracy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
prairieschooner

I just left mine off. I run the generator and my roof airs when needed. On our '82 the vents are aimed at my knees anyway.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
afrench45

Paul when I bought my coach, there was a gentleman at Newell with a 2003. He said his goes about every year and that is part of it.... Thankfully mine has never done it but I was warned to keep an eye on it.
afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
jwe648

Default Causes

Some things that could cause this is: refrigerant charge, too much oil in the system, air contamination, a clogged condenser, plugged orifice tube.
These could cause high head pressure and (heat) which could exceed the clutch or belt limits. Some installations have a sensor to detect high Head Pressure and shut off the system before burning everything up.. Not sure If Newell did this.. As I have not seen the schematics. It is a long way from the compressor to the condenser on the Newell.. Trash in the line or mosture or low freon would cause this.. Also too much or little oil would be a problem.. Have you ever noticed any frost on the lines?

Just my thoughts...
Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Richard and Rhonda

Paul,

Two things. One, Jimmy is right, have someone put gauges on the unit to see if you have excessive head pressure. That will cycle the unit frequently under load and kill the clutch.

Second, and I saw this problem on another coach, the clutch is not getting twelve volts. The low voltage is caused by the long run of undersized wire from the front. Check the voltage going to the clutch, and if it's under 12 install a relay setup to get full voltage to the clutch. The low voltage draws high amperage which burns up the clutch.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote